PDA

View Full Version : Which state is the most gun friendly with the least ammount of gun laws?

dfxjedi
08-07-2010, 5:06 PM
Which state would you say is the most gun friendly with the least amount of gun laws?

gotime
08-07-2010, 5:09 PM
New Hampshire?

audiophil2
08-07-2010, 5:21 PM
According to the Brady Campaign it would be Utah though I have the belief that AZ is more gun friendly.

Malthusian
08-07-2010, 5:27 PM
Vermont, Alaska, Arizona

Call_me_Tom
08-07-2010, 5:38 PM
I'm guessing Arizona.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-07-2010, 5:45 PM
Let's not forget Nevada. Just guessing.

Big Jake
08-07-2010, 5:50 PM
Alaska!

yakmon
08-07-2010, 5:51 PM
Nevada dosnt have 2aCCW

HUTCH 7.62
08-07-2010, 5:53 PM
I would say Arizona but it it has the most amount of illegal aliens

IrishPirate
08-07-2010, 5:54 PM
The Brady Bunch put the states in order of best (for them) to worst (for them), with California in first (worst for us) and ________ in last (best for us). I wish i could remember what thread that list was on......

Twinsen
08-07-2010, 5:56 PM
Montana, Wyoming, Tennessee? TN is shall issue NFA, and I believe Montana and Wyoming are NFA immune for SBS, SBR, AOW, DD, and Silencer.

The things that really matter like this the Brady bunch doesn't even want to acknowledge.

THT
08-07-2010, 5:59 PM
...I believe Montana and Wyoming are NFA immune for SBS, SBR, AOW, DD, and Silencer.

As is Missouri. So far, MO is the only state to buck both NFA and Obamacare :D

thebriarman
08-07-2010, 6:02 PM
I've got a buddy from Georgia and he was shocked when he had to move out here. Back there, they can pretty much buy what they want and walk out with it. Pay the man, get a bill of sale or receipt, and you're done.

ghost
08-07-2010, 6:10 PM
i remember seeing report card ratings on gun laws per state,alaska got a "F".

VictorFranko
08-07-2010, 6:17 PM
I would think Alaska.

kapache
08-07-2010, 6:20 PM
California... oh wait I missed read the thread tittle, I though it was what State has the most F--ed gun laws.

tomd1584
08-07-2010, 6:21 PM
Montana, Wyoming, Tennessee? TN is shall issue NFA, and I believe Montana and Wyoming are NFA immune for SBS, SBR, AOW, DD, and Silencer.

The things that really matter like this the Brady bunch doesn't even want to acknowledge.

what do you mean immune? Im not up to par on those states gun laws. Thanks!

POLICESTATE
08-07-2010, 6:22 PM
Don't go by Brady Bunch ratings and then reverse them those people are warped.

Ed_Hazard
08-07-2010, 6:26 PM
I would have to say Vermont and Alaska respectively.

THT
08-07-2010, 6:35 PM
what do you mean immune? Im not up to par on those states gun laws. Thanks!

States passed laws exempting citizens from NFA if the firearm was made in the state and stays within the state. The assumption is that if the firearms never cross state borders, it's not inter-state commerce therefore NFA does not apply. No one has tested this, at least publicly, yet.

mbarnes
08-07-2010, 7:10 PM
I would have to say Vermont and Alaska respectively.

Can't buy silencers in Vermont.

stitchnicklas
08-07-2010, 7:37 PM
missouri has awesome gun laws,they total a quarter of a page....hahahaha

Tim Leese
08-07-2010, 7:56 PM

Arizona has about 450,000 illegal aliens and California has about 7.5 million

Mac Attack
08-07-2010, 8:01 PM
I believe it is Alaska but being a GA resident, I can tell you they have unrestrictive firearm laws. That's why you see a lot of firearm manufacturers who have facilities in (Glock, HK, MPA, Advanced Armorment just to name a few) are located in GA. GA is a shall issue state and allows NFA firearms and accessories. About the only thing they don't allow is explosives which I am okay with.

Tony.
08-07-2010, 8:06 PM

You may want to revise your statement:

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_est_num_of_ill_imm-people-estimated-number-illegal-immigrants

nemisis1400
08-07-2010, 8:37 PM
im pretty sure alaska is the best

HUTCH 7.62
08-07-2010, 9:15 PM

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_est_num_of_ill_imm-people-estimated-number-illegal-immigrants

are these figures pre or post SB 1070:D

Cali-Shooter
08-07-2010, 10:21 PM
According to the Brady Campaign it would be Utah though I have the belief that AZ is more gun friendly.

Utah is so-so for a "free" state. I read on another thread here that Utah's handgun storage laws (in a car) are basically identical to CA.
Alaska would have pretty lenient gun laws, but good luck finding sellers of ammo and firearms willing to ship that far.
Hawaii is only slightly better than CA, and is not really much of a shooter's state anyways, plus they are out in the boonies, a.k.a. many sellers will refuse to ship ammo or firearms over there.
My vote would go to AZ, TX, NV, and NM, in that order. Oregon is fairly nice as well.

NaughtyMonkey
08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
From what I've heard it is Arizona.

CGRangeMonkey
08-07-2010, 10:53 PM
California!...............200 years ago.:red_indian:

bombadillo
08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Mostly anywhere but here. I'm trying to get a transfer to Idaho.

audiophil2
08-07-2010, 11:25 PM
From what I've heard it is Arizona.

I would agree with you. The only issues I don't like are school and college bans, the strict liquor law in relation to guns, and figuring out which reservations tolerate guns.

hbellew
08-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Which state would you say is the most gun friendly with the least amount of gun laws?

Gun laws across the US are complex and as such there is no simple answer to your question.

The most accurate answer to your exact question is Vermont. Vermont has the fewest gun laws.

Vermont allows loaded open carry and loaded concealed carry without a permit. But Vermont is not perfect. Vermont does not allow Suppressors. Vermont also has no Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground legislation.

There are other states that while they may have more gun laws they are still very favorable for RKBA.

Looks like there are 3 states with Constitutional Carry (CCW without a permit) Alaska, Vermont, and Arizona.

All 3 have very favorable gun laws. None restrict what firearms you can own or how many or how often you buy them. Of the 3 only Vermont does not allow Suppressors but all other NFA weapons are allowed with the appropriate BAFTE tax stamps of course.

Utah, Arizona, Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, and Tennessee has passed laws referred to as "Firearms Freedom Acts". These laws basically state that if a firearm is manufactured in and remains within it's respective state that the National Firearms Act does NOT apply. The argument is that if the firearm does not cross state lines it does not effect interstate commerce and is there fore exempt from the NFA. To my knowledge no one has tested these FFA laws in a court of law, but I am sure it will happen eventually.

In many cases a Shall Issue state is almost as good as a Constitutional Carry state. In as much that most, if not all, Shall Issue states will issue you a CCW permit unless there is a legal reason you cannot have one, such as a felony.

At the end of the day your own research is going to be your best friend. I am certainly not an expert on US gun laws by any stretch of the imagination. I am just a regular guy who asked the same question you did. This is just my understanding of current US gun laws, I could be wrong, don't bet your life and happiness on my words alone.

My personal opinion of most desirable states to live in with RKBA are: (This is based on a large number of factors including economy, culture, climate, etc, not just RKBA)
1. Idaho
2. Utah
3. Arizona
4. Vermont
5. Alaska

Hope this helped.

Here are some of the references I used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_concealed_weapon
http://firearmsfreedomact.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=155130

ronas
08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
South Carolina seems pretty liberal for purchasing guns and the like.

An individual can own suppressors and machine guns as long as they are purchased from a Class III dealer.

Purchasing guns is pretty easy but it's even easier if you have a CWP. In that case paperwork is completed but the FFL does not even call in to check on the buyer. In either case there is no waiting period.

rromeo
08-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Virginia is relatively free as far as purchasing, owning, and carrying. It's a shall issue state, NFA items are readily available, no registration, cash an carry for PPTs, etc.
USING a gun is probably more restrictive than California though. If you shoot somebody breaking into your house, you had better be bleeding, or it will be a long process to not serve time.

Donny1
08-08-2010, 12:37 PM

These numbers seem a little on the low side.

2,209,000 I bet there are that many in the county of LA alone.

Air
08-08-2010, 1:54 PM

I grew up in Kansas City. Miss it sometimes. My dad still lives outside of KC in Raymore, he bought his Mini 14 at Walmart, cash and carry!

Twinsen
08-08-2010, 3:27 PM
States passed laws exempting citizens from NFA if the firearm was made in the state and stays within the state. The assumption is that if the firearms never cross state borders, it's not inter-state commerce therefore NFA does not apply. No one has tested this, at least publicly, yet.

Don't forget the part where they say they will protect their citizens from the federal government and will imprison any federal agent that tries to arrest someone for unregistered NFA possession. If that's not the most pro gun... wow.

You can build cannons in Montana! CANNONS! (modern cannons I mean) I assume you can build black powder cannons in any state, as they're not considered firearms. I mean smokeless powder cannons.

Josh3239
08-08-2010, 5:38 PM
Alaska

Don't need a permit to CCW nor open carry.
New bill allows Alaska residents to make suppressors and SBRs in Alaska without NFA tax stamp.
Transferable machine gun friendly.
No waiting periods.
No registrations.
No assault weapon bans.
No mag locks.
No safe handgun roster.
No magazine limits.

chuckdc
08-08-2010, 8:31 PM
Alaska WILL issue you a ccw for the sake of travel to states with reciprocity, too.

Cyc Wid It
08-08-2010, 8:37 PM
Alaska I think based on some Googling and reading here. Can't say I'd ever want to live there though. I'll stick to a cruise and watching "Deadliest Catch".

Anchors
08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Arizona, my home. Definitely.
I'm here right now for the week.
I stopped at Scottsdale Gun Club today and it is the nicest store I've ever been to (and second largest indoor range in the country.)
They had several machine gun rentals, MP5/UMP/AR/AK/240/M249/M60/Thompson/etc.
They had an entire case dedicated to suppressors and a whole wall behind it of NFA firearms for sale (Suppressed SBRS, etc.)
I was seriously just wandering around in awe drooling.
I talked to the guy behind the counter about CA and updated him on some of the CA laws and pending lawsuits and directed him to CalGuns :D

It's also noteworthy that Phoenix has the best gun laws of anywhere in the country of it's size.
5th largest city in the U.S. now?

ricknadine1111
08-09-2010, 7:35 AM
California... oh wait I missed read the thread tittle, I though it was what State has the most F--ed gun laws.

LOL

oddjob
08-09-2010, 8:48 AM
A friend of mine has a brother living in Oklahoma. They think the laws there are cool. The guy in OK has more than a few full auto NFA toys. My Hi School chum likes N.M. too.

Interloper
08-09-2010, 8:57 AM
A friend of mine went to college in Fairbanks. He said the University provides on campus firearms lockers....

gravedigger
08-09-2010, 9:09 AM
KENTUCKY!