PDA

View Full Version : Edge Weapon / Self defense course

Brian2217
08-07-2010, 1:41 PM
Hello Ladies,

I will be teaching an edge weapons / self defense course at Bullseye Shooting Center in San Rafeal on Aug. 26 and Sept. 2 2010. If anyone is interested please contact Bullseye and sign up.

Hope some of you can make it.

Brian

Steyrlp10
08-08-2010, 9:12 PM
If your schedule permits, I highly recommend taking this class from Brian :)

jdewolf
08-09-2010, 2:46 AM
Edged weapons? What is it, some sort of cooking class for women? :p

kel-tec-innovations
08-09-2010, 4:07 AM
+1 :49:

Steyrlp10
08-09-2010, 9:13 AM

Remember what Angelina Jolie did to Brad Pitt in Mr. and Mrs. Smith in their kitchen?

8bitnintendo
08-09-2010, 9:56 AM
I'm a traditionalist, if I'm in the kitchen I'm using a frying pan. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/images/smilies/fryingpan.gif

Steyrlp10
08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm a traditionalist, if I'm in the kitchen I'm using a frying pan. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/images/smilies/fryingpan.gif

Lol... Brian and I have these interesting conversations about forks!

jdewolf
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Why I do declare :o

I never knew you were so old fashioned :D

jdewolf
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Remember what Angelina Jolie did to Brad Pitt in Mr. and Mrs. Smith in their kitchen?

Unfortunately not. I watched that movie a long time ago and tried to burn it from my memory. I just remember bits and pieces like salt and lots of gunfire.

Soldier415
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
The full course description can be found here: http://www.bullseyerange.com/range/edge_weapons.html

This entry-level course is designed for those that wish to carry a folding knife as a self-defense tool.

The course consists of two four-hour sessions (or one eight hour session) that will teach you how not to become a victim by teaching situational awareness, proper mindset during confrontations, legalities of carrying and using an edged weapon, overview of the various types of knives and their attributes, unarmed and edged weapon defensive tactics, counter attacks and disarming techniques.

TOPICS TO BE COVERED

SURVIVAL MIND SET AND AWARENESS
LAWS CONCERNING KNIVES
CHOOSING THE RIGHT KNIFE
ANATOMY OF AN EDGE WEAPON ATTACK
EMPTY HAND VS KNIFE
KNIFE VS KNIFE
KNIFE VS HANDGUN
DISARMING
DEALING WITH MULTIPLE ATTACKERS

Steyrlp10
08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you, Dan -- I'm passing the info onto my GFs!

Brian2217
08-10-2010, 7:56 PM
Liz,

I can't thank you enough for the support, and thank you Dan for the additional informantion on the class.

In California a lot of people can not obtain a CCW for self protection, but almost everybody can carry a knife. A knife is a great self defense tool and even if you are one of the lucky ones that have a CCW a knife is a great backup tool to your firearm. Knives never run out of ammo and are not dependent on straght lines of attack.

In situations where your attacker is in very close to you, your firearm becomes hindered. Knives are easy to carry and are low profile, but there there when you need it. It's also one of the few tools that a 120 lb women can use to even the odds against a 200 lb rapest.

If you have any questions please fill free to contact me.

Brian

Brian2217
08-10-2010, 8:00 PM

I guess you could say it's a cooking class. I'll teach you how to turn very mean people into Sushi:eek::eek::D

Brian2217
08-10-2010, 8:07 PM

My Wife would agree with you and she loves her cast iron skillets the best. Trust me, I've learned my lession after 23 yrs.:D:D

jdewolf
08-11-2010, 1:15 AM
I guess you could say it's a cooking class. I'll teach you how to turn very mean people into Sushi:eek::eek::D

I don't like fish though :(

8bitnintendo
08-11-2010, 8:19 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2507299885_81c66a5e91_o.jpg

Steyrlp10
08-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Oh, don't be such a girl :D

Steyrlp10
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Lol, don't cut him any slack. Bad Boy -- no more rice!

Soldier415
08-11-2010, 12:00 PM
:rofl2:

jdewolf
08-11-2010, 2:37 PM

... K-Dog... I thought we were friends... that special day in Del Mar...

I see that lovely afternoon meant NOTHING TO YOU!

I feel so used... If you need me I'll be in the shower... scrubbing myself with some steel wool trying to get clean.

jdewolf
08-11-2010, 2:41 PM
Oh, don't be such a girl :D

It's a mental thing since I was a very young child. My parents tried to force me to eat fish and I just didn't like it. They have stories of me hiding fish... behind the fish tank... behind pictures... under the rugs... just about anywhere. I was a stubborn child and I'm a slightly less stubborn adult :D

I'll eat fish now, but I'm very particular on how it's prepared. I won't lie though I still get slightly sick to my stomach anytime I walk by fish markets, Asian stores, or in a filipino's house [Tilapia & Oil, ICK!]

Steyrlp10
08-11-2010, 2:46 PM
It's a mental thing since I was a very young child. My parents tried to force me to eat fish and I just didn't like it. They have stories of me hiding fish... behind the fish tank... behind pictures... under the rugs... just about anywhere. I was a stubborn child and I'm a slightly less stubborn adult :D

I'll eat fish now, but I'm very particular on how it's prepared. I won't lie though I still get slightly sick to my stomach anytime I walk by fish markets, Asian stores, or in a filipino's house [Tilapia & Oil, ICK!]

Omg how hilarious... you sound exactly like my second kid, the one who has sand dunes for comforters on his bed - lol

He tells me how evil fish are and hates it when I try to disguise it in his dinner. Of course, I try to disguise the tofu in Blondie's dinner too, so I suppose I'm on the losing end in my house :)

jdewolf
08-11-2010, 3:03 PM
Omg how hilarious... you sound exactly like my second kid, the one who has sand dunes for comforters on his bed - lol

He tells me how evil fish are and hates it when I try to disguise it in his dinner. Of course, I try to disguise the tofu in Blondie's dinner too, so I suppose I'm on the losing end in my house :)

There's actually very few foods that I refuse to eat. Beyond anything *extreme* I actually like pretty much all foods. Pretty much just no fish, no kale, and no mayonnaise.

Speaking of cleanliness, I need to clean my room :(

OneSevenDeuce
08-11-2010, 5:25 PM
A knife for self defense? :rolleyes:

Soldier415
08-11-2010, 5:54 PM
A knife for self defense? :rolleyes:
Yep.

OneSevenDeuce
08-11-2010, 5:55 PM
Yep.

Can anyone guess why this is a bad idea?

Soldier415
08-11-2010, 5:58 PM
Can anyone guess why this is a bad idea?
Nope. Might you enlighten us?

OneSevenDeuce
08-11-2010, 6:10 PM
Nope. Might you enlighten us?

The whole idea behind effective self defense is stand off distance. Put space between yourself and an aggressor, preferably with the ability to deter him from advancing on you again (that's where the gun comes in). Knives and other easily concealed edged weapons necessarily require the user to be close in to an attacker to be effective. Especially when it comes to women who are frequently smaller and not as strong as a male aggressor. Knife wounds, especially with blade lengths you find on the folding variety, are rarely lethal when attempting to stop an aggressor in the heat of an attack. There is just way too much potential for that knife to be taken away and used on the person attempting to defend themselves. Not to mention the handling of an edged weapon under combat conditions is extremely difficult to do effectively. I'm not talking about high speed ninja stuff. I'm talking about plain ol landing good hits. And I'm sorry, I wouldn't advise me wife to carry a knife for self defense after a few lessons lasting a couple hours each.

Not even mentioning the legal aspects. California is not a stand your ground state. That means that you MUST make an attempt to flee from a dangerous situation before applying lethal force. What does that mean? If you are close enough to use a knife have you attempted to flee? Can you prove it in a court of law? Does that mean a woman should go out into the world undefended? Of course not. But for gods sake use something that gives you a standoff distance. Pepper spray is an alternative if you don't have a CCW. It's not perfect, and does have it's draw backs, but at least it's better than a knife.

Brian2217
08-11-2010, 7:49 PM
OneSevenDeuce,

I thank you for your reply and I can understand your concerns. I will do my best to clarify how I teach my class.

Also, I will agree 8 hrs is not enough.

What this class is is a foundation and it's about using your head which is the real weapon anyway. Everything else is secondary. I don't teach fancy hollywood moves or moves that are so complicated to learn that it would drive you nuts. I teach very simple moves and concepts that most my students can catch onto and continue to train and pratice at home. I also teach the students how to recognize danger signs to help avoid conflicts before they happen. Using the knife is last resort.

I have used pepperspay on combative people and I can tell you that's it not that great and worse when it blows back in your face. You then become useless and a easier pray for your attacker. High quality, high intensity with a strobe feature flashlight is much better then pepperspray ( in my professional opinion). I also talk about improvise weapons and with the techniques that I teach you can apply with empty hands, flashlights, rolled up magazines and of course knives. I also teach you to create that distance from your attacker so you can escape.

I guess the only thing I can add is, we do not walk around this world with a sign on are necks that read " Please keep your distance at least twenety feet our I will shot." We allow people everyday to walk past use within five feet. Can you tell which one will attack you????? Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Give the training a shot, you might even have fun learning somthing new.

Train hard and be safe,

Brian

OneSevenDeuce
08-11-2010, 8:06 PM
I teach very simple moves and concepts that most my students can catch onto and continue to train and pratice at home.

I hope you will also teach them that they need much more training to have any hope of using any techniques effectively. Hey maybe that could even help in marketing. If you advise your students to carry a folding knife for self defense after one class I would call that irresponsible.

I have used pepperspay on combative people and I can tell you that's it not that great and worse when it blows back in your face.

I have used it too, and had it sprayed straight in my face for three seconds as part of a mandatory training course. No, it isn't perfect, and yes it can hurt BADLY if it blows back into your face. Which is why it requires training to use effectively. However it requires far less training than fighting with a knife and provides stand off distance. Flash light? Yeah that can work too. Nothing is perfect, but some alternatives are better than others.

we do not walk around this world with a sign on are necks that read " Please keep your distance at least twenety feet our I will shot."

No, we don't. But when danger threatens, a gun is much more persuasive than a sign.

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Except when having it is more of a danger than not having it. I'm not saying that people should not have weapons because of the possibility that they could be taken and used against them. That is a possibility with ANY weapon. However with knives in the hands of lightly trained women it becomes more than a possibility. I'm not saying that to be disparaging of women I am saying it to emphasize the very real physical differences between men and women which sometimes necessitate that women have guns. A gun is an equalizer. A knife is not.

Brian, I hope you will tell your students the one hard and fast rule of knife fighting. You WILL get cut. That is why I disapprove of this. A person can defend themselves with a gun in relative safety in most circumstances. However knife + 1 day's worth of training = disaster.

Please folks, keep in mind that people train with knives for decades and can still get creamed by a bad guy. Same with a gun. However knives are much more complicated to operate under stress.

Brian2217
08-11-2010, 8:55 PM
OneSevenDeuce,

I don't teach knife fighting or knife dueling. I teach knife defense, I also tell all my students that there is a good chance that you could get cut.

Also lets be real here. You keep bring up firearms and a gun is better. But how many folks out there carry outside the house?? Trust me I'm not knocking guns, I carry one daily outside the house. I also know the range I need to use it to. I'm also a chemical agent instructor for my department so I know about the effects of pepperspary.

I have never said or claimed all you need is one class. I even said that it's a foundation a place to start. You make it sound like I teach the class and say your ready to save the world. That's not true.

OneSevenDeuce,

I tell you what. You have never trained with me or know my teaching style or what I teach. If you would like, I would be more then happy to do a one on one private class for you in my area. If you don't like what I teach or if you think my teaching is so irresponsible. You are more then welcome to come onto the internet and slam on me,call me a fake or whatever.

The only thing out of your pocket is time and a drive.

Brian

Soldier415
08-11-2010, 9:43 PM
Duece,

what you are leaving out is that the vast majority of us cannot carry a gun thanks to CA. Id rather have a knife and a flashlight than an empty hand.

also take into account that your averagre handgun fight begins inside 3 feet.

Spaceghost
08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Knives may or may not initially deter an aggressive person. However, after one or two deep slashes and the attacker can now see parts of their body they have never scene before with much blood leaving the wound(s) common sense should tell them it is a great time to be leaving.

Knife combat against an unarmed attacker with the goal of making the attacker flee isn't that lofty and does not require decades of training, though it helps. Just make sure no stabbing is used, pulling your weapon out of someone can be difficult without blood all over the handle and you just badly sliced the tendons in your fingers because when you hit bone your hand slipped down the blade. Folders aren't known for having good quillian to stop this from happening.

Please folks, keep in mind that people train with knives for decades and can still get creamed by a bad guy. Same with a gun. However knives are much more complicated to operate under stress.

Steyrlp10
08-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd also like to chime in here since I am female and believe I am allowed my opinion on this thread like the rest of the men. I have had the opportunity to meet Brian in person and find him to be both credible and knowledgable. I'm happy he's giving an opportunity to those women who want to train with an edged weapon to do so.

It's true that there's the chance of being cut with a knife, but there's also the chance of being shot with a gun too. Everything takes practice and training.

I do not find Brian to be an unsafe person. I am very sure that his classes will have all precautions in place.

The way I see it, Brian is offering a class for those Calgunners who want to enroll. If you're not interested in the class, that's ok too. It's all about making individual choices.

Lastly, Lady Calgunners are not garden-variety women who lack insight. The gals on here are quite capable of researching what techniques/weapons work best for them. We welcome all sorts of new information and will make our own decisions based on our own personal decisions.

In short, if we want to do it, don't tell us that we can't.

Brian2217
08-12-2010, 4:04 PM
Liz,

Thank you for the kind words.

Brian

OneSevenDeuce
08-12-2010, 6:25 PM
I don't want you to mistake what I'm saying. I am not trying to insinuate that you are a faker, or don't know what you are talking about. I will not criticize your credentials since I don't know them. I am not making a value judgment on your knowledge or experience. What I am making a value judgment on is the wisdom of carrying a knife for self defense. I have already stated my reasons why, so I wont rehash things. I'm just throwing that out there as someone with a bit of experience myself. You can take my advise, or you can ignore it. It's up to the individual of course. Call it a foundation, call it what you will, my reservations remain. You could be the best knife teacher in the world, I still wouldn't carry one for self defense after one class. And how many of your students do you think will still be with you 5 years or so down the road when they finally become really proficient? And just for the record, nowhere did I call you not credible, not nice, or unsafe. Just something to think about. Anyway, that's pretty much it from me.

Soldier415
08-13-2010, 7:22 AM
I don't want you to mistake what I'm saying. I am not trying to insinuate that you are a faker, or don't know what you are talking about. I will not criticize your credentials since I don't know them. I am not making a value judgment on your knowledge or experience. What I am making a value judgment on is the wisdom of carrying a knife for self defense. I have already stated my reasons why, so I wont rehash things. I'm just throwing that out there as someone with a bit of experience myself. You can take my advise, or you can ignore it. It's up to the individual of course. Call it a foundation, call it what you will, my reservations remain. You could be the best knife teacher in the world, I still wouldn't carry one for self defense after one class. And how many of your students do you think will still be with you 5 years or so down the road when they finally become really proficient? And just for the record, nowhere did I call you not credible, not nice, or unsafe. Just something to think about. Anyway, that's pretty much it from me.
Deuce,

So you are saying that for people who cannot carry a gun, carrying nothing is better than carrying a knife?

Narcdogk9
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
California is not a stand your ground state. That means that you MUST make an attempt to flee from a dangerous situation before applying lethal force.

Where did you get the idea that if someone is attacking you, you have to turn your back on them and try to run away?

LadyShooter
08-15-2010, 1:30 AM
Your class looks awesome. I would take it if I could afford to right now. My husband and I both want more training beyond the Basic Pistol Class. As far as the lone nay-sayer, you are entitled to your opinion, I respectfully disagree.