PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: 18 year olds and handguns.

explorerdude
08-07-2010, 1:25 PM
Question is. Can an 18 year old legally have a handgun DROS'd into their name, via PPT, being under the age of 21. I know they can legally posses a handgun at 18 but can they have one DROS'd to them?? Any information would be greatly appreaciated!

Mssr. Eleganté
08-07-2010, 2:38 PM
Question is. Can an 18 year old legally have a handgun DROS'd into their name, via PPT, being under the age of 21. I know they can legally posses a handgun at 18 but can they have one DROS'd to them?? Any information would be greatly appreaciated!

No they can't. Both Federal law and California law prohibit FFLs from transferring handguns to people under the age of 21. In many "free" States, an 18 year old can buy a handgun from another private resident of their State, because such transfers do not require the use of an FFL. But California law requires most private party transfers of handguns to go through a California licensed dealer.

An 18 year old Californian can acquire a handgun from a parent or grandparent who is also a California resident. That's because California law exempts such transfers from the requirement to go through a California licensed dealer and Federal FFL transfer requirements don't apply to transfers between private residents of the same State.

dachan
08-07-2010, 5:18 PM

An 18yr old cannot have a handgun DROS'ed into their name; but they can have a handgun legally transfered to their name if it is gifted through interfamilia transfer (only from parent or grandparent). The 18yr old may first need to acquire a HSC, but not sure.