PDA

View Full Version : looking for inexpensive sights for AR

Wicked K5
08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm currently waiting for my custom upper to arrive so I need to start looking for a set of flip up sights. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'd like to keep the total under $100. These will be my primary sights until I can afford an optic, then they will be backups therefore the flip up design. I was thinking Magpul, but I'm open to any suggestions.

m16
08-07-2010, 2:08 PM
A while ago I bought a rear MBUS, after using Troy's rear sights for a long time.

I think it stayed on my upper for two weeks before it got replaced by a Troy.

I actually gave it away to a friend who needed it, and it didn't last long on his rifle either.

JJ1911
08-07-2010, 2:14 PM
I don't like magpul sights, I prefer my Troy industries rear sight. They are rock solid and very well made.

AlliedArmory
08-07-2010, 3:32 PM
Not a huge fan of the Magpul MBUS, but for the price range it might be the way to go.

socal425
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
A while ago I bought a rear MBUS, after using Troy's rear sights for a long time.

I think it stayed on my upper for two weeks before it got replaced by a Troy.

I actually gave it away to a friend who needed it, and it didn't last long on his rifle either.

I don't like magpul sights, I prefer my Troy industries rear sight. They are rock solid and very well made.

Can you both please elaborate on what was wrong with the MBUS? I know Troy's are top notch but for a new shooter like myself, the MBUS are a bit more economical. Thanks. :)

Jicko
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Can you both please elaborate on what was wrong with the MBUS? I know Troy's are top notch but for a new shooter like myself, the MBUS are a bit more economical. Thanks. :)

-ve on contruction materials, hence, not as durable

-ve on bulky'ness

-ve just overall

+ve (only) price

tomd1584
08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Its probably not an option, but the Daniel Defense iron sites are very well made.

around $120 /set.

Futrellkm
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm bracing myself for everyone to rip me apart for suggesting this, but UTG makes BUIS for about 50 bucks a set. They're pretty solid from what i've seen, and they get great to above average reviews. I bought the comp iron sights a few months back, and they're very solid. So i'd say its worth a shot. Make sure you read peoples comments though, they're milspec, so a lot of people had problems getting them to fit on certain gas blocks and such.

Just a link to amazon to show you, can probably shop around for cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Flip-up-Tactical-Front-Complete/dp/B001WIUO1O

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WIUJXW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001WIUO1O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QAN4XFG6X3EYK2KD1Q9

sniper4usmc
08-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I would go with ARMS 71L-F & 71L-R Flip-Up Sights
http://www.botachtactical.com/ar7171flsi.html

jackliu239
08-16-2010, 1:12 PM
I would go with ARMS 71L-F & 71L-R Flip-Up Sights
http://www.botachtactical.com/ar7171flsi.html

Thats really good price, are they any good?

C_1
08-16-2010, 1:55 PM
Magpul MBUS and Matech 600m flip up sights are a good value for the money.

Futrellkm
08-16-2010, 2:28 PM
I like the Matech sights, but 100+ bucks for a rear sight is pretty ridiculous.

tacticalcity
08-16-2010, 2:44 PM
They are not selling them as a set but seperately. That sight is very confusing. I've got them for $83 for the set (front and rear) and will have them on my website in a little bit.

If you need both front and rear sights then it really can't be done for that dollar amount and get metal sights, which means you'll be using polymer sights. Not the best idea for primary sights.

Like these ARMS polymer sights, Magpul MBUS are not really a good idea for primary sights. They are plastic, including the rear apature and front sight post, and they are not uniform. You end up with an oblonged non-uniform rear objecting and non perfect front sight post. Which makes mastering your firearm difficult. They are fine if you are running magnified optics and they are on there to be on there for an absolute worst case scenerio backup. But if you actually plan on using them regularly as you would with a red dot, or all the time as you say you are planning to, then are not the best option. The fact that their bases are very prone to snapping in half during installation is not a plus either.

Both YHM and Midwest Industries offer some really decent metal sights that come in matching front and rear sights I prefer Midwest Industries myself, but that is more of a personal preferrance than anything else. They offer solid construction, and uniform metal rear apartures and front sight posts which I consider a must. Most importantly they will maintain zero. Something eBay chinese knockoffs may not offer. Just a heads up, if you plan on mounting the front sight on railed forend, make sure you get the correct model. Midwest Industries makes several different models.

My absolute favorite of the high-end sights are those made by Troy Industries. They lock into place and have push button releases. They are low profile and tuck nicely under optics. They offer two different styles of front flip-up sights, both of which are meant to be mounted on a railed forend and not the lower height railed gas block. I Troy Rear Flip-Up Sights starting at $116, only a few dollars more than the low profile Midwest Industries sights

Here is a link to ALL the various styles of sights I offer for sale:

http://tacticalcity.com/minorcategory.asp?MinorCatID=62&CategoryID=1&SubCatID=43

sniper4usmc
08-16-2010, 2:44 PM
Thats really good price, are they any good?

they are good..but dont buy from BOTACH..they have terrible serivice