PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion!

diginit
08-07-2010, 10:17 AM
You think it can't happen to you...Until...

I remodeled a large home in an upscale neighborhood in Menlo Park last year. On such a long job, You tend to get aquainted with the owners. A nice family with 2 small girls ages 3 and 6. I paid them a visit yesterday and was just told that last Saturday, At 9AM, 2 assailants broke into their home and held them at gunpiont. I'm Really Teed Off!
The owners mother,father, and sister were visiting at the time. The owners were sleeping in upstairs and their 2 little girls were downstairs with their nanny. His sister was returning from a run when 2 men suprised her in the garage. She made a run and got just outside the back door when she was tackled and one jerk put a gun to her head. The mother, hearing the commotion, came out of the rear cottage yelling "What are you doing" and calling for help. The other was already inside the house. Pointing a gun at the nanny with the 2 girls hugging her legs saying,"don't hurt anyone!". Hearing the yelling, The owner and his wife ran down the stairs. This luckily scared off the assailants as one grabbed the nanny's Iphone and both ran away.

This could have been REALLY ugly. But no one was harmed other than the trama of the entire scene.
Here's a link to the Merc news report.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15671437?nclick_check=1

And here is a police sketch of the As*holes. If you happen to see them, You know what to do. They ARE armed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/Ammo%20Testing/e836f522.jpg

cortayack
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Its a crazy world....I hope they caught these POS...

wilit
08-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Wow, Menlo Park? Guess the upscale zip code doesn't keep you safe. That sucks. Hope they catch the guys.

Uriah02
08-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I would opt for one of these http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2010/08/05/armed-posse-catches-criminal-in-ashtabula

N6ATF
08-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I love the smell of libel in the morning.

dadoody
08-07-2010, 11:47 AM
They got robbed by Jay (from Jay and Silent Bob) and Cuba Gooding Jr

jd1911
08-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I would opt for one of these http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2010/08/05/armed-posse-catches-criminal-in-ashtabula

Thanks for this video, it was very inspiring. I am glad the Sheriff is looking to sue for more funding for more officers. I am also glad to see that concerned citizens were able to come together and do what the felt was the right thing to do.

As far as the home invasion in Menlo Park, I certainly hope that you were able to talk to the owner and suggest that he buy a firearm for defense and train with it in order to know what to do if there is a next time. I was at Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside about a year ago when this lady was in there buying a handgun and looking at a FP6 shotgun for home defense. I remember her because I really wanted to buy the HK FP6 but she got it before me. She was telling me and my friend that some people were threatening to kidnap her kids and hold them up for ransom. I was wondering WTF, did she call the authorities and so on. She said she just wanted to be ready for them. I told her she should train with what she was buying because you can't just buy a firearm for self defense and not know how to use it properly under stress, be able to have a plan for her kids and the rest of her family in case they came to her house and so on. In these days and times, I think you should be prepared for lots of things, desperation is everywhere and more common now.

goodlookin1
08-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Frickin LOVE IT!!!

pullnshoot25
08-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Frickin LOVE IT!!!

Good for him, that is the way it should be.

Meplat
08-07-2010, 1:13 PM
There has to be a very interesting back story on this. I’d love to know more details. How did they know he was there? How did they know it was Nash that was in the trailer? Or did they know? Where they just checking out a suspicious trespasser and wound up hooking a bigger fish than they expected? Lots of questions.

BillCA
08-07-2010, 2:34 PM
The fact that they were armed and fled when they discovered additional people in the house, indicates they may have tried for an "easy score" and screwed up.

I'd be willing to bet they cased the place a few days and planned to frighten the owners into forking over valuables. But their plans were screwed up by the presence of more than just two adults, so they fled. It is also possible that someone with access to the home gave them some potential intel about the number of family members and their schedules. A gardner, maid service, etc.

The owners should be encouraged to spring for a monitored alarm system with a panic button (or a couple of remote buttons). How effective a firearm might be is up to the residents. If a thug could get to the nanny, he could grab a child as a hostage while another has the wife or nanny hostage. Lose-Lose situation.

N6ATF
08-07-2010, 3:56 PM
Multiple thugs would make this more difficult, but at least with single hostage, single thug... the tactic I heard was you hold aim on the head until you have a clear shot and are confident in your placement, or if they turn the weapon on you, open fire, because the hostage is better off with a non-critical wound and you alive then you down and the thug not only with your gun but total control of the hostage.

CCWFacts
08-07-2010, 4:29 PM
Menlo Park is a very good neighborhood, with an attitude of being a world away from Oakland and so on. Too bad none of those people had a gun. Now there are two armed thugs out there who will be more confident and more violent the next time they try that MO.

mzimmers
08-07-2010, 5:25 PM
Menlo Park is a very good neighborhood, with an attitude of being a world away from Oakland and so on. Too bad none of those people had a gun. Now there are two armed thugs out there who will be more confident and more violent the next time they try that MO.

Menlo Park is also only a drive and a 5-iron away from East Menlo Park and East Palo Alto, two of the worst neighborhoods in NorCal. Anyone who lives there and considers themselves untouchable is just begging for a nasty surprise.

Mad Scotsman
08-07-2010, 5:37 PM
Lived in west Menlo Park for 23 years. East Palo Alto is SO CLOSE. New Years day we would go out and look for bullet holes in the cars in the neighborhood. Always found one.

mzimmers
08-07-2010, 5:47 PM
Lived in west Menlo Park for 23 years. East Palo Alto is SO CLOSE. New Years day we would go out and look for bullet holes in the cars in the neighborhood. Always found one.

Yep. I can't think of any other neighborhood that changes as suddenly as Palo Alto/East Palo Alto or Menlo Park/East Menlo Park. Literally within a few hundred yards, it goes from $2 million homes to ghetto.

POLICESTATE
08-07-2010, 5:52 PM

I almost want to say I've seen these guys at a Home Depot but I can't tell for sure, not to mention it could have been ANY Home Depot :rolleyes:

Actually in all seriousness, I wonder if that homeowner had picked up one or both of these guys from a Home Depot or other location to do some cheap labor around his house. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened though it normally results in burglaries, not home invasions.

diginit
08-07-2010, 6:09 PM
The first thing I told the owner (I'm not mentioning names for obvious reasons) is to buy a handgun and get trained with it. He said he was thinking about it and he used to shoot with his dad. I also mentioned the gunsafe with the handprint combo lock because of the kids. He liked the idea. I told him that a taser or pepper spray is also a good idea, But to keep them away from the little ones. He is thinking of adding video to his ADT. Yes, thay have ADT. I imagine this is why the crooks attempted this in broad daylight. Most people only arm their alarm at night.
One of the guys looks alot like a guy the landscaper hired. I saw him there and mentioned it. A parolee. He worked there 1 day and the owner told the landscaper that he didn't want him on the property. We know this because a police officer checked him out while he was having lunch in his car while investigating another call and talked to the owner to verify his employment.
I have to complement MP LEO's for their 2 min response time. It seems there was an officer patroling downtown and the home is nearby. It's such a drag that the assailants went the opposite way or actually could have passed the officer due to no vehicle discription. There was a neighbor that said they saw a white car with 3 men in it parked on the street earlier that morning. I really hope these guys are put away or something better...

POLICESTATE
08-07-2010, 6:13 PM
The first thing I told the owner (I'm not mentioning names for obvious reasons) is to buy a handgun and get trained with it. He said he was thinking about it and he used to shoot with his dad. I also mentioned the gunsafe with the handprint combo lock because of the kids. He liked the idea. I told him that a taser or pepper spray is also a good idea, But to keep them away from the little ones. He is thinking of adding video to his ADT. Yes, thay have ADT. I imagine this is why the crooks attempted this in broad daylight. Most people only arm their alarm at night.
One of the guys looks alot like a guy the landscaper hired. I saw him there and mentioned it. A parolee. He worked there 1 day and the owner told the landscaper that he didn't want him on the property. We know this because a police officer checked him out while he was having lunch in his car while investigating another call and talked to the owner to verify his employment.
I have to complement MP LEO's for their 2 min response time. It seems there was an officer patroling downtown and the home is nearby. It's such a drag that the assailants went the opposite way or actually could have passed the officer due to no vehicle discription. There was a neighbor that said they saw a white car with 3 men in it parked on the street earlier that morning. I really hope these guys are put away or something better...

Wow just like I suspected? Sounds like they might have some ID on that guy, hope the detectives go look him up for a chat.

diginit
08-07-2010, 6:30 PM
Wow just like I suspected? Sounds like they might have some ID on that guy, hope the detectives go look him up for a chat.
I hope so also. This is a 2.5 million dollar home. The police said that it was most likely random. I don't see how they would come to this conclusion unless it was simply to calm the victims nerves. It's a good thing the assailants didn't know the interior layout of the home. I built the place and installed their safe myself. Explaining to the owner how to operate it and change the factory combination. If these guys had half a brain...I guess they wouldn't be criminals. An orange jump suit is waiting for all of them!

CCWFacts
08-07-2010, 7:59 PM
Menlo Park is also only a drive and a 5-iron away from East Menlo Park and East Palo Alto, two of the worst neighborhoods in NorCal. Anyone who lives there and considers themselves untouchable is just begging for a nasty surprise.

Yeah. That is all true. And yet the attitude there is that they are magically untouchable because they live in $2mil houses and work for Google / Cisco / Oracle / etc. Unfortunately reality doesn't work that way.

EOD3
08-07-2010, 8:52 PM
Sounds like an H.G. Wells sory I read once. Something about ? Morloks ? coming out to snatch a clueless innocent every so often...

Meplat
08-07-2010, 9:07 PM
If they expected a safe or other security they could not easily overcome. It may be why they decided against simple burglary.

I hope so also. This is a 2.5 million dollar home. The police said that it was most likely random. I don't see how they would come to this conclusion unless it was simply to calm the victims nerves. It's a good thing the assailants didn't know the interior layout of the home. I built the place and installed their safe myself. Explaining to the owner how to operate it and change the factory combination. If these guys had half a brain...I guess they wouldn't be criminals. An orange jump suit is waiting for all of them!

advocatusdiaboli
08-07-2010, 9:18 PM
The police said that it was most likely random.

that's their first logical statement given the early stages of the investigation but very likely wont be their position at the end of the investigation. While there are random crimes, they are in a very small (low single digits) probability. There is usually an angle-- a reason the perps thought the house was a good target and it's usually familiarity. Gardeners, handymen, maids, etc. Especially if illegal--desperate to stay an already criminals. If criminals were smart, they wouldn't resort to crime--there are far better ways to steal--ask Goldman-Sachs, AIG, and Citibank.

Paladin
08-07-2010, 9:51 PM
The first thing I told the owner (I'm not mentioning names for obvious reasons) is . . . to join the fight by joining CalGuns.Net and the NRA and supporting Calguns Foundation!Fixed it for you! ;)

HUTCH 7.62
08-07-2010, 9:57 PM
They got robbed by Jay (from Jay and Silent Bob) and Cuba Gooding Jr

Maybe Mexican movie industry ripped off Kevin Smith and infringed on his copy right.

But seriously My parents live in Palo Alto it could have easily been them. though my old man and his S&W model 66 would of put a bullet in a least one of em.

k1dude
08-08-2010, 9:38 AM
I notice they didn't bother concealing their identities. That can be a very bad sign. I wonder if they might not have whacked the family to prevent ID if the invasion had been successful. I think that family was VERY lucky they had so many people home that day.

Arondos
08-08-2010, 10:22 AM
While a two minute response time is quick it is still when seconds matter the police are minutes away.

diginit
08-08-2010, 7:03 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to let the world know that there's a safe in the house...
I doubt they knew of a safe. And they would never find if they looked. Besides, What 2 million dollar home doesn't have a safe for important papers in case of fire? I rent an apartment and I have one.

Purple K
08-08-2010, 7:19 PM
And that's why I'm rarely unarmed while at home.

advocatusdiaboli
08-08-2010, 8:01 PM
I make sure my front yard looks like Fred Sanford's. No ever bothers me--including solicitors.

danito
08-08-2010, 8:22 PM
East Menlo Park as referenced above is actually the Belle Heaven neighbrohood of Menlo Park. They are the same town, where as Palo Alto and East Palo Alto are different City's.
Highway 101 is in effect the demarcation point between low income on the Bell Heaven side adjacent to EPA and above average income on the other side, Menlo Park is very diverse.

I had heard the perps entered through an open Garage. Lets hope they catch these dirt bags.

HUTCH 7.62
08-08-2010, 8:27 PM
I make sure my front yard looks like Fred Sanford's. No ever bothers me--including solicitors.

You're neighbors probably love you:rolleyes:

I hope they get caught as much as anyone but, who wants to bet the perps are already are back in Mexico until the heat comes off them.:mad:

Letitrip
08-08-2010, 9:15 PM
I just read this article about a home owner shooting two attempted home invasion robbers. One of the robbers died. Good for the homeowner:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100808/NEWS010701/308080013/1055/NEWS/Homeowner-kills-intruder-police-say

ChrisTKHarris
08-08-2010, 9:18 PM
Very scary.

I just found out that on Friday night my old house (friends still live there) that two guys came into the house with a sawed-off shotgun and robbed them. One guy that lives there is an XD owner, but he was lying face down on the ground while the guys went through the house. The rest of my friends were in the detached garage. Luckily no one got hurt.