PDA

View Full Version : How do I Adjust 9mm XD sites..

mikemaccham
08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
My father in law just got a 9mm XD, he was a little bummed because the sites are off. How do you adjust the site? it shoots lower than the sites...

damon1272
08-07-2010, 6:02 AM
He may want to make sure he is not anticipating recoil and pointing the gun down. Sounds stupid but I have seen it happen.
You can also try different types of ammo as they will shoot to different points of aim. Lastly you can change out the front site or file it down slightly.
LAst thing, send it back. Springfield Armory has good customer service.
HAve someone else take a few shots to see if it just him.

tujungatoes
08-07-2010, 7:35 AM
:iagree:99.9% sure the sights are fine and his technique flawed. in my experience this is usually the case.

Spaceghost
08-07-2010, 9:52 AM
Tell him to stop looking over the sights. Problem solved.

cpt_majestic
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
:iagree:99.9% sure the sights are fine and his technique flawed. in my experience this is usually the case.

Yep, operator error

mikemaccham
08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I dunno, we shot it at 10' and it's a 9mm, I was having the same problem, and I shot my 45acp right before without a issue...

tujungatoes
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I dunno, we shot it at 10' and it's a 9mm, I was having the same problem, and I shot my 45acp right before without a issue...

I'm guessing that's part of the problem right there.

plan-b
08-07-2010, 6:04 PM
You want to adjust an XD's locations? :shrug:

Dubious_Beans
08-08-2010, 8:07 AM
When I first got my XD9 it shot pretty low also...
But after a few hundred rounds, it shoots just fine. :)

It's operator error. Leave the sights alone and go shoot it a bunch more.

My neighbor came over last week and fired the XD and he shot consistently high for the first couple magazines. After a few dozen rounds he got his eyeball dialed in and shot great.
Another neighbor was scary accurate with it right from the first few shots.

Go shoot it a bunch. If it STILL shoots low after 1000 rounds, then MAYBE there's a problem with the sights and you need to take it to a gunsmith or send it back to SA for evaluation.

wsmc27
08-08-2010, 11:05 AM
When I first got my XD9 it shot pretty low also...
But after a few hundred rounds, it shoots just fine. :)

It's operator error. Leave the sights alone and go shoot it a bunch more.

My neighbor came over last week and fired the XD and he shot consistently high for the first couple magazines. After a few dozen rounds he got his eyeball dialed in and shot great.
Another neighbor was scary accurate with it right from the first few shots.

Go shoot it a bunch. If it STILL shoots low after 1000 rounds, then MAYBE there's a problem with the sights and you need to take it to a gunsmith or send it back to SA for evaluation.

^^^ This.

My son and I were renting a Glock 19 last week with aftermarket sights...took both of us a couple mags to get the correct sight picture goin' - we had previously beem shooting a G17 with no probs, and that same day a Beretta 92FS that was really nice - we had no probs there. His second group was really good with the 19, just low and that got us on track.

Different sights...different sight picture. :)

Tim Leese
08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
In the manual they show you how to aim the sights on the XD. Personally, I find it illogical but thats the way XD are set up. Mine shoots low and right. I am pretty sure its NOT operator error.

08-25-2010, 3:13 PM
In the manual, it says if your shooting 25 yards or closer you shoot point of aim.... 25 yards and farther shoot at 6 o'clock.

Droc101
08-25-2010, 5:16 PM
I ran into the same thing when I started shooting my M&P, come to find out I'm left eye dominate and right handed, forced me to look over the sights which caused my muzzle to drop a bit

mif_slim
08-25-2010, 8:08 PM
solely by your question:

trigger time.

darksands
08-26-2010, 8:49 AM
The target should be above the horizon of the sights. I was shooting high when I got mine. Then I flipped through the manual and read this:

Springfield Armory pistols are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight picture at 25 yards.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/springfieldarmory_xd.pdf

Page 32.

Now it's great!

ocabj
08-26-2010, 8:58 AM
I put adjustable Dawson Precision sights on my XD40 Tactical. My sights were low and right. I tried drifting the stock rear sight to at least get the windage straight, but the rear sight was way too tight. You need a sight tool for the XD.

mif_slim
08-26-2010, 10:18 AM
^ Have you tried shooting from a bench? If your getting same results then it needs adjustments if not, just work on your shooting and you'll zero it in.