PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Purchases?

Johnny.B.Good
08-06-2010, 7:49 PM
I have not been to a gun show in many years but am considering attending an upcoming show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The last time I attended one my father bought a .30 carbine and we left with it in hand if that gives you some idea of how long it's been!

How does purchasing a gun work at shows these days? Do you have to buy from a dealer with a bricks and mortar store nearby where you can pick it up after 10 days?

What can I expect?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-06-2010, 8:38 PM
You can still cash and carry C&R long guns that are at least 50 years old, but only if the seller is not a California licensed dealer. So if you meet a private seller at the show selling a USGI M1 Carbine then you could still walk out the door with it, no paperwork needed.

But most sales go like this.

- find a gun you want to buy

- if the dealer selling it is from too far away, or if the seller is a private party, then find a California licensed dealer at the show whose shop is closer to your home to facilitate the transfer

- pay the seller for the gun

- have the seller transfer the gun to that local dealer by carrying over to their table

- start the paperwork with the local dealer

- pay the local dealer his transfer fees

- go to the local dealer's shop after the 10 day waiting period is up and pick up your new gun

If you ask around at the show when you get there you can probably find a transfer dealer who is local to you and who is willing to do transfers.

Johnny.B.Good
08-06-2010, 8:48 PM
You can still cash and carry C&R long guns that are at least 50 years old, but only if the seller is not a California licensed dealer. So if you meet a private seller at the show selling a USGI M1 Carbine then you could still walk out the door with it, no paperwork needed.

That's why we were able to walk out with it...I thought the laws were just more relaxed back then, relatively speaking of course.

- pay the local dealer his transfer fees

Is there a ceiling on what dealers can charge as far as transfer fees? If not, what do you consider average?

Thanks for the information!

G-forceJunkie
08-06-2010, 9:09 PM
There is, I don't know the exact number. Figure around $40.

offrdmania
08-07-2010, 8:55 AM
Most PPT's + DROS are between 65-130 these days. If you know somewhere only charging 40 please let us know g-force

bellwilliam
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I just did a ppt with dros for $35 this week at riflegear. I m new at this. But that's all they asked

ke6guj
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Most PPT's + DROS are between 65-130 these days. If you know somewhere only charging 40 please let us know g-force Per CA law, the maxiimum a dealer may charge for a PPT is $35 total, $25 in state DROS fees + $10 maximum dealer fee. The dealer is breaking the law if they charge more than $35 for a PPT. A PPT is considered a transfer between two CA residents who both go to the same FFL to do the transfer.

I just did a ppt with dros for $35 this week at riflegear. I m new at this. But that's all they askedthats all they are allowed to charge for a PPT.

bellwilliam
08-09-2010, 10:42 AM
seeing they only charge $10 ($25 goes to State), that's pretty cheap for a lot of paperwork. FFL must hate it.

plan-b
08-09-2010, 7:55 PM
seeing they only charge $10 ($25 goes to State), that's pretty cheap for a lot of paperwork. FFL must hate it.

Many of them do, but it comes with the territory if they hold an FFL so it's done begrudgingly. For private party transfers, I like to do it at an FFL that doesn't have a retail storefront. Usually, they're a little more receptive to it since they couldn't have sold you anything out of their inventory anyway.

Johnny.B.Good
08-10-2010, 7:23 PM
Many of them do, but it comes with the territory if they hold an FFL so it's done begrudgingly. For private party transfers, I like to do it at an FFL that doesn't have a retail storefront. Usually, they're a little more receptive to it since they couldn't have sold you anything out of their inventory anyway.

I wouldn't show any disappointment or hesitation if I were an FFL for fear of driving away a potential future customer. They should be pleased to have traffic in the store for any reason and hope their inventory/prices/customer service make a good impression.

Thanks for the info. everyone!

Bryan.40
08-12-2010, 6:22 PM
So DROS is the way to go for PPTs?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-12-2010, 6:32 PM
So DROS is the way to go for PPTs?

In California...

DROS is legally required for any acquisitions made through a California licensed dealer.

Most firearms transfers must go through a California licensed dealer.

If you acquire a C&R long gun that is at least 50 years old from another California resident who is not a California licensed dealer then you do not have to transfer it through a California licensed dealer. That means you don't have to DROS it.