PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Considering an IPAD

valkylrie
08-06-2010, 5:34 PM
Why or why not is the question?

Satex
08-06-2010, 5:44 PM
It really depends on what you want to do with it.

JDay
08-06-2010, 6:09 PM
If you just want something to read off of then it should do the job, if you want something you can actually type on and do real work with you should get a laptop. The only way I'd ever own an iPad is if someone gave it to me, and I'd promptly sell it and get a real machine.

G17GUY
08-06-2010, 6:16 PM
If you just want something to read off of then it should do the job, if you want something you can actually type on and do real work with you should get a laptop. The only way I'd ever own an iPad is if someone gave it to me, and I'd promptly sell it and get a real machine.

I thought this, but then I used an IPhone for a week and now I want one. pretty fun gadgets.

XDRoX
08-06-2010, 7:19 PM
I thought this, but then I used an IPhone for a week and now I want one. pretty fun gadgets.

I agree. Some things in life are over priced, but a lot of fun. Like a high class hooker:D

The iPad is one of those things. If you have the money to throw around and like gadgets, come on, the iPad is extremely cool and fun to mess around on.

Is it as good as a laptop, no. But nobody is saying it is. Is it cooler, yes. At least IMO.

I'm writing this post from my iPad right now, and think this thing is great. A party favorite as I always pass it around and let everybody try it.

If younhave the money, then I think you'll love the iPad.

mousegun
08-06-2010, 7:43 PM
Can one load Linux on it?

ocabj
08-06-2010, 9:41 PM
The iPad is a nice tool if you can leverage it. Owning an iPhone and a laptop, I don't need an in-between for those two devices, which is what the iPad basically is.

What would encourage me buy an iPad is if they made a device so I could tether the iPad directly to my dSLR (i.e. HDMI port on the side of the Canon) such that I can review photos on the camera, but they also output to the iPad as a secondary (cloned) display.

aaronraby1
08-06-2010, 9:51 PM
it seems like its just an overgrown ipod to me. they do the same things... right?

whobob
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Sure it's overpriced, but it's a very powerful tool. It's only as good as the user. ;) Kinda like a nice 1911 vs. a RIA.

shooting4life
08-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I am on my iPad right now. It is fine if you just want it for Internet/movies and things like that. I love mine. I hardly ever turn my regulars computer on now because I can just surf the web with this which is probably 90% of what I would be doing on my regular computer. Like the person above, I wish I could hook my camera or iPhone up to it. I also stream movies from netflix to it. I think it is worth it for what I do. If you have to do actuals work then use a regular pc. If you just want to check your mail quickly and see what new things have been posted in the for sale forum then it is a great tool.

sholling
08-07-2010, 12:07 AM
I seriously considered getting one but the iPad is just too limited. Franky it doesn't anything you can't do with an iPhone or an Android phone.

JDay
08-07-2010, 3:23 AM

Would you replace your computer with it? The iPad is just an iPhone with a larger display, and no phone.

JDay
08-07-2010, 3:37 AM
What would encourage me buy an iPad is if they made a device so I could tether the iPad directly to my dSLR (i.e. HDMI port on the side of the Canon) such that I can review photos on the camera, but they also output to the iPad as a secondary (cloned) display.

What you really want is something like this.

oVAc4VWHigo

ocabj
08-07-2010, 7:05 AM
What you really want is something like this.

oVAc4VWHigo

No, this isn't what I need. Shooting the way demo'd in that video is meant for pure tethering, with remote control (from the laptop with EOS Utility). I do shoot tethering sometimes (I bought a long shielded USB cable from monoprice for this). But I simply want to be able to have a cloned display of the LCD when reviewing on camera. If you plug in the camera to the computer, there's no feature in the EOS utility such that when you hit the 'playback' button on the camera to review the photos on the camera LCD that it also displays on the computer.

If I wanted to tether to a laptop, I'd use Lightroom instead of the EOS Utility since Lightroom is designed a lot better for tethered shooting with reviewing.

I think at this point, the only thing that would do what I want is an actual HDMI monitor like the Marshall Field Monitor. Tethering is fine for in a very static environment (i.e. studio) or long sessions, but I wanted the whole iPad + mirrored display with camera is for very fast paced, dynamic situations where a quick review would be handy yet a laptop or netbook would be too much of a hinderance. Specifically when doing an on location shoot with several models (i.e. http://www.jocabphoto.com/glamour)

Anyway, bringing this back to the iPad context, if the iPad could be tethered as a display to my 5D Mark II (or 7D), I'd most likely buy one. The IPS display is excellent for this, and I could get dual use out of it ('tablet' computing). As it is, my smartphone (iPhone 4) and laptop are enough for my daily workflow such that I don't need a netbook, iPad, or some other in-between device.

223Devil
08-07-2010, 8:40 AM
I was anti-IPAD for a long time. My wife bought one last month. I Bought Sling Box HD. OMG now I can't put the stupid thing down. We fight for it too.

I don't think the IPAD is overpriced.

Biff...
08-07-2010, 8:50 AM
I have an Ipad 64gb 3g, and Iphone. I just jail broke my iphone and got tethering to work, now I only need one internet connection. I use mine to read books, surf the web, home work helper for the kids. Its a great tool.

Mad Scotsman
08-07-2010, 6:29 PM
IPad + skype = phone. I'm waiting for version 2.

NaughtyMonkey
08-07-2010, 9:24 PM
Can one load Linux on it?

That would be awesome if you could run linux on it but I doubt it, I could be mistaken though.

Gallows
08-09-2010, 9:59 AM
Any time I want to play around on the iPad I just go to Best Buy. I'm usually good to go after that for a few weeks.

Corbin Dallas
08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
It really depends on what you want to do with it.

This is really the question.

With new "Pad" type tablets emerging into the market running android and linux, the Apple version will be out of date shortly.

Acer, HP, HTC, RIM, Dell and Archos to name a few ALL have a tablet coming soon. Most are under the $200 mark, which makes them far more affordable.

gose
08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree. Some things in life are over priced, but a lot of fun. Like a high class hooker:D
The iPad is one of those things. If you have the money to throw around and like gadgets, come on, the iPad is extremely cool and fun to mess around on.
Is it as good as a laptop, no. But nobody is saying it is. Is it cooler, yes. At least IMO.
I'm writing this post from my iPad right now, and think this thing is great. A party favorite as I always pass it around and let everybody try it.
If younhave the money, then I think you'll love the iPad.

If passing around an iPad is a party favorite, you need better parties...

Mute
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The iPad is a nice tool if you can leverage it. Owning an iPhone and a laptop, I don't need an in-between for those two devices, which is what the iPad basically is.

I like the way you think. I'd get an iPad for that feature,though I probably wouldn't pay the current going prices.

sfwdiy
08-09-2010, 3:23 PM

Would you replace your computer with it? The iPad is just an iPhone with a larger display, and no phone.

That sums it up. For me, the iPad is a solution that's looking for a problem. The iPad can be used for a number of different tasks that I currently do either on my smartphone or on my laptop, but it doesn't currently do any of those things better than my smartphone or my laptop.

Examples:
Surfing the net: Laptop wins by far. Real keyboard and trackpad, real desktop browser support(my choice of browser as well), flash, etc.

Mobile connectivity: Smartphone wins by far. Better wireless data (rock-solid Verizon connectivity that I'm already paying for, no extra data plan + wifi built in), it's actually a phone, and it's small enough to go anywhere with me.

Doing actual work, i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, various I.T. related tasks: Laptop is a clear winner here also.

As cool as the iPad is as a gadget, I just can't find a use for it that I don't already have covered and then some.

--B