View Full Version : Leupold VX-II vs Millett DMS-1

08-06-2010, 3:48 PM
I'm interested in the Millett, but I've never had the opportunity to look through one. I was at Sportsman's Warehouse today though and was looking through a Leupold VX-II 1-4x. Is the glass and eye relief on these two scopes comparable? Actually, I really liked the VX-II 2-7x, but I'm not sure about the plain duplex reticle for my AR.

08-07-2010, 10:37 PM

08-09-2010, 2:25 PM
What do you plan to use it for?

The DMS has illumination, which would be handy for shooting in low light but it's useless in bright sunlight. And the reticle gives you some mil references that can be used for ranging. On the other hand, it's a cheap, Chinese scope that has its share of repair issues. It's also big and heavy.

As for the Leupold, a duplex reticle isn't a good choice for long-distance precision shooting, but will serve you just fine for CQB-type shooting out to 225 yards. Just zero at 50 and you'll be within 2" of POA from 25-225. If you're going to look at the Leupold though, you might as well consider the Weaver Classic V 1-3x, which has gotten a lot of positive from the 3-gun crowd and is half the price of the Leupold. Like the Leupold it is significantly shorter and about half the weight of the DMS. http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx

08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
It's going to be mounted on my coyote AR, which will be set up exactly as you describe for a 225 yard POA. It may find use in 3 gun, but only casually, maybe one or two matches a year. I was mostly wondering about glass quality. I really liked the Leupold.

The weight of the DMS is a real drawback to me. I'm really leaning toward something like that Weaver, it looks nice and simple.