PDA

View Full Version : NRA Alert: Take <10 min and call Sacto NOW re. AB1810, Long Gun Registration!

Paladin
08-06-2010, 1:59 PM
Got this email from the NRA-ILA about 2 hours ago. Making all the calls took me less than minutes! The people answering their phones are professional -- they've done this a TON of times and will not waste your time. I gave them my 15 sec pitch and they usually asked for my full name and either city or ZIP code. That's it. That's all it involves. Let's do this.

Here's my standard script: "I'm calling (Assemblyman/woman or Senator) X in their capacity as a member of the (Assembly/Senate) Y Committee and would like to encourage them to (support/oppose) (A/S)B ZZZZ, the (briefly describe the bill)."

Here's how to apply it to Mark Leno and AB1810: "I'm calling Senator Leno in his capacity as a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee and would like to encourage him to oppose AB 1810, the long gun registration bill."

Long Gun Registration Bill Still Pending Consideration
Please Continue to Contact the Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee!

Earlier this week, Assembly Bill 1810 was placed in the suspense file by the Senate Appropriations Committee. However, AB1810 could be resurrected in a special hearing next week.

It is imperative that you start calling the Senate Appropriations Committee IMMEDIATELY and urge them to OPPOSE AB1810.

AB1810 would establish a registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired long guns. Under AB1810, the make, model and serial number of the firearm as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General’s office.

If AB1810 were enacted, violent criminals would continue doing what they do now – obtain firearms through illegal means. This bill would not decrease crime but will rather have disastrous effects on the already financially unstable Golden State. AB1810 would impose additional burdens on California’s taxpayers to maintain the registration system as well as on the state’s licensed firearms dealers, small businesses who already deal with extensive business requirements.

One simply needs to look at Canada, a nation with draconian firearms registration, to see the results – billions in cumulative administrative costs, annual cost overruns, no clear substantiation of public safety benefits, unjust prosecution, and a bureaucratic complexity that daunts those willing to comply. Ironically, California is considering a new registration scheme as Canada is considering doing away with its system.

Please continue contacting the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose AB1810. Contact information for the committee can be found below.

State Senator Christine Kehoe (Chair)
(916) 651-4039

State Senator Roy Ashburn
(916) 651-4018

State Senator Elaine Alquist
(916) 651-4013

State Senator Ellen Corbett
(916) 651-4010

State Senator Jeff Denham
(916) 651-4012

State Senator Mark Leno
(916) 651-4003

State Senator Curren Price
(916) 651-4026

State Senator Mimi Walters
(916) 651-4033

State Senator Lois Wolk
(916) 651-4005

State Senator Mark Wyland
(916) 651-4038

State Senator Leland Yee
(916) 651-4008

Paladin
08-06-2010, 2:15 PM
. . . .

bwiese
08-06-2010, 3:38 PM
Thank you Paladin, I've been off the air for a bit, glad you're on it.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
08-06-2010, 3:52 PM
When I called, one office said they needed a new sheet because of the volume of calls they were getting in opposition. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen! And keep it positive please.

Window_Seat
08-06-2010, 4:35 PM
I was able to get through to 2 of the lawmakers, and both of them said that the calls were coming in. We continue this on Monday morning.

Erik.

johnny_22
08-07-2010, 8:38 AM
I'm leaving messages. Emphasizing the cost and no LEO safety of this plan.

Paladin
08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Could one of the CGN night owls bump this to the top around 7:00am? Thx

tommyid1
08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
will do

tommyid1
08-09-2010, 5:47 AM
Bump

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

luckystrike
08-09-2010, 8:54 AM
and the purpose of registering guns in the 1st place? haha this nanny state makes me laugh

Crom
08-09-2010, 9:12 AM
I called them all.

postal
08-09-2010, 8:36 PM
Hates ta be the "pall bearer" o bad news.....

but its a waste of time.

They dont LISTEN!

make all the noise you want- talk as much as you want-

Email, fax, call all ya want.

Falls on deaf ears.

They will vote how *they* want regardless.

Dont believe me?

search AB962 and look at all the noise we made......

and take a wild guess....

yup-

it passed-

dont bother- waste of time- sure it feels good to voice your opinion.... but its a waste of time.

Wrangler John
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Hates ta be the "pall bearer" o bad news.....

but its a waste of time.

They dont LISTEN!

make all the noise you want- talk as much as you want-

Email, fax, call all ya want.

Falls on deaf ears.

They will vote how *they* want regardless.

Dont believe me?

search AB962 and look at all the noise we made......

and take a wild guess....

yup-

it passed-

dont bother- waste of time- sure it feels good to voice your opinion.... but its a waste of time.

+1.

Agreed, we will have long gun registration in California, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. The Legislature will pass every anti-gun law they want, knowing that overruling them will require the expense and time of filing suits in federal courts. They watch as the Ninth Circuit and District courts do a Dance of the Revolving Stays (described elsewhere) further delaying any pro-gun decisions, while hoping for another vacancy on SCOTUS for Obama to fill with another Marxist, ending the debate. They also know that pro-gun organizations can't whip up enough support in the state to defeat them at the polls. They also know that the only sure remedy is for voters to pass a state constitutional amendment enshrining the right to keep and bear arms, but that will bankrupt the supporters and fail at the polls. It may be a fundamental right, but it's one they don't intend to recognize, and we can go to hell or Arizona.

Want to bet that a majority of the idiots that bankrupted California will be returned to office, or advance to another office, in the November elections? Sad, when your only hope is to be completely wrong. But go ahead and call, feel the joy.

postal
08-10-2010, 6:35 PM
Yeah....

I really hate to pi** on the parade....

but I'm right- and unfortunately, so are you.

Apparently, that's all it took to kill off this thread- was a little bad tasting dose of reality.

Gray Peterson
08-10-2010, 7:03 PM
Who are you to speak for the CGN community? Don't listen to these people, folks, LIGHT UP THOSE LINES!!!!!

misterjake
08-10-2010, 7:15 PM
I know of a solution, it happened once before however it requires we grow the brass balls our founders had and unanimous support of each other.

So, nevermind. :(

Biff...
08-10-2010, 7:20 PM
I'm curious, if this bill passes does it mean registration is open up for any long guns we have in any configuration??

rimfire78
08-10-2010, 7:26 PM
Bump

Window_Seat
08-11-2010, 3:10 PM
And again... I called everyone of the Senators, and most of them are rushing me off the phone because they are getting slammed. Infact, one of the staff members said that "slammed is not the right word" when describing that "EVERY ONE OF THE CALLS" they have been receiving are in opposition to AB-1810.

KEEP the calls coming in! Keep this at the front of the page!

Erik.

Paladin
08-11-2010, 3:13 PM
This NRA-ILA Alert was emailed out a few hours ago.

If you're not sure what to say when you call a state senator's office, . . . Making all the calls took me less than minutes! The people answering their phones are professional -- they've done this a TON of times and will not waste your time. I gave them my 15 sec pitch and they usually asked for my full name and either city or ZIP code. That's it. That's all it involves. Let's do this.

Here's my standard script: "I'm calling (Assemblyman/woman or Senator) X in their capacity as a member of the (Assembly/Senate) Y Committee and would like to encourage them to (support/oppose) (A/S)B ZZZZ, the (briefly describe the bill)."

Here's how to apply it to Mark Leno and AB1810: "I'm calling Senator Leno in his capacity as a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee and would like to encourage him to oppose AB 1810, the long gun registration bill."

Reminder to self: I should always incl a poll w/a thread like this to see out of 50+k CGN'ers, how many claim to have called.

Long Gun Registration Bill to be Voted on Thursday!
Please Continue to Contact the Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee!

Tomorrow, Thursday, August 12, Assembly Bill 1810 will be voted on by the Senate Appropriations Committee. It is imperative that you contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee IMMEDIATELY and urge them to OPPOSE AB1810.

AB1810 would establish a registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired long guns. Under AB1810, the make, model and serial number of the firearm as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General’s office.

If AB1810 were enacted, violent criminals would continue doing what they do now – obtain firearms through illegal means. This bill would not decrease crime but will rather have disastrous effects on the already financially unstable Golden State. AB1810 would impose additional burdens on California’s taxpayers to maintain the registration system as well as on the state’s licensed firearms dealers, small businesses who already deal with extensive business requirements.

One simply needs to look at Canada, a nation with draconian firearms registration, to see the results – billions in cumulative administrative costs, annual cost overruns, no clear substantiation of public safety benefits, unjust prosecution, and a bureaucratic complexity that daunts those willing to comply. Ironically, California is considering a new registration scheme as Canada is considering doing away with its system.

Please contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee IMMEDIATELY and respectfully urge them to oppose AB1810. Contact information for the committee can be found below.

State Senator Christine Kehoe (Chair)
(916) 651-4039

State Senator Roy Ashburn
(916) 651-4018

State Senator Elaine Alquist
(916) 651-4013

State Senator Ellen Corbett
(916) 651-4010

State Senator Jeff Denham
(916) 651-4012

State Senator Mark Leno
(916) 651-4003

State Senator Curren Price
(916) 651-4026

State Senator Mimi Walters
(916) 651-4033

State Senator Lois Wolk
(916) 651-4005

State Senator Mark Wyland
(916) 651-4038

State Senator Leland Yee
(916) 651-4008

AndrewMendez
08-11-2010, 3:57 PM
Alright, lets get this bumped. I will add this to the CGN Facebook Page. This will do nothing for crime, only confuse law abiding citizens, and increase prices.

KaTooM
08-11-2010, 3:59 PM
Just finished calling all the Senators and urged them to oppose AB1810. All took my name and city except Leland Yee's office, they did not care.

AndrewMendez
08-11-2010, 4:11 PM
Added to the CGN Facebook page. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calgunsnet/230301820181) This literally takes 30 seconds per number. Use your cel phone to avoid the long distance charges. I have had a couple of them actually answer. Just give them a quick, I oppose AB1810, and a quick reason why. i.e. It will only deter law abiding citizens from owning a gun. It will have zero affect on crime. It will only cost the state more money. Canada had something similar, and they just stopped it after wasting a billion dollars on it. etc.

Fate
08-11-2010, 4:13 PM
...they did not care.

^^ sadly, this is TRUTH in its simplest.

J.S.Riesch
08-11-2010, 4:19 PM
Done. I called them all. It is not late to call, if nobody answering leave a message. Please be respectful and polite. Forwarded this to all my range buddies as well.

WeekendWarrior
08-11-2010, 4:26 PM
is it too late to call?

WeekendWarrior
08-11-2010, 4:30 PM
Me calling Kehoe: "Hello, Im calling to..."
Woman who answered the phone "Oppose 1810, what city please?"

Just got through to Leno's office, guy answering the phone said they were only recording support/opposition, asked for my zip code. He denied my request to speak with Senator Leno.

Senator Price's phone answering guy just debated long gun registration for 10 minutes with me on the phone. he said he thinks Price will support the Bill and I should understand why because I live in an Urban environment. I talked about the fiscal crisis, percentages of violent crimes committed with long guns according to the FBI's statistics, Canada's failed program, etc. He did not listen to any of it, but said he would let the Senator know I called to ask him to oppose it. He also said this was something we should have done a long time ago.

Finished my call blast. Only offices I got on the phone (all others I left VMs) were Kehoe, briefly, and Price.

FastFinger
08-11-2010, 5:24 PM
I managed to get 3 live ones. Two took the time to get my info and opinion, the 3rd one asked for my zipcode and then said she'd pass along my views, that's when I asked her how she knew what my views were since I hadn't told her yet. She said that I stated "I'd like to express my concerns about AB180..." and she assumed that since I was concerned I'd be opposed. Clearly every one, or the vast majority, of callers are opposed, although she wouldn't admit that when I asked. The other two did say that the overwhelming sentiment of the callers was "opposed." Of course I mentioned that I'd then be expecting the Sen. to vote the will of the people, they wouldn't comment on that.

Since the operators, equipment, and resources that take in the calls are tax payer funded, I'd think that the public has a right to know exactly what the call tally is.

AndrewMendez
08-11-2010, 5:49 PM
Lets keep this going. I just had my GF call, and my Dad did a round of calling!!!!

hawkeye
08-11-2010, 6:31 PM
Is there anyway we we could have this 'stickied'? Possibly on a few other subforums due to the fact that not all members visit this page? This would help to show the people who may only go into the 'general gun' forums about this.

AwakeAware1016
08-11-2010, 7:00 PM
We the people. Keep the ball rolling

Citizen 14
08-11-2010, 7:31 PM
I called and left a polite message. I know some people have discouraged this, but I don't understand why. It can't hurt.

It may not change their minds, but at least our voices have been heard.
If we don't get them here, someone will challenge them in court. I have faith.

For the record this is the first time I have done anything like this. I am pretty new to Calguns and the fight for our gun rights, but I understand the tide turns very slowly and this is a long term fight!
Whether we win or lose, staying silent won't do us any good. So we can't give up.

I wanted to say thanks to Calguns and those who are putting in their time to protect our rights.
Thanks again from a newbie.

AwakeAware1016
08-11-2010, 8:23 PM
I called and my GF an m bro and my dad and I have been talking it up today at work. We need o stay a thorn in the side of all those who appose human rights.

CitaDeL
08-11-2010, 8:27 PM
Called...

actually got a human being at Kehoe's number at 9:15pm

Left messages with everyone else.

hawkeye
08-12-2010, 8:51 AM
bump

chrisw
08-12-2010, 9:13 AM
I called State Senator Leland Yee's office and asked his position on ab1810 and the lady said "he's always been against gun rights"

Really? how do you really feel :rolleyes:

State Senator Ellen Corbett's office told me I would need to talk to Alison Merrilees :eek:, because she was the one handling ab1810.

so I guess I know her position....

high_revs
08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
State Senator Ellen Corbett's office told me I would need to talk to Alison Merrilees :eek:, because she was the one handling ab1810.

so I guess I know her position....

she's been anti-gun in the past faxes i've sent and gotten a snail mail reply. :(

Rick530
08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Were screwed

Alaric
08-12-2010, 4:29 PM
According to NRA-ILA (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5994) this was to have been voted on by the Senate Appropriations committee today.

Does anyone know if the vote happened and if so, what the outcome was?

SShadow
08-12-2010, 4:50 PM
Does anyone know what the outcome was?

diginit
08-12-2010, 5:41 PM
Were any letters of opposition lost or misplaced?

Neuvik
08-12-2010, 5:58 PM
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery

I'm not too sure what to look through, but each of the votes all had a pass to screw us from our rights.

Can we revolt now?

6114DAVE
08-12-2010, 6:18 PM
Looks like it wasn't voted on today?)

red headed stranger
08-12-2010, 6:25 PM
The NRA is reporting that AB 1810 passed out of the Senate Appropriations committee and will be considered by the full Senate.

:(

6114DAVE
08-12-2010, 6:32 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

6114DAVE
08-12-2010, 6:33 PM
Time to start my OLL build NOW....

Rick530
08-12-2010, 6:53 PM
I absolutely Positivly HATE this state.

diginit
08-12-2010, 7:35 PM
Looks like it wasn't voted on today?)

Yea, It seems they only made it to the 1400's...

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/committee_hearings/defaulttext.asp

Alaric
08-12-2010, 8:32 PM
The NRA is reporting that AB 1810 passed out of the Senate Appropriations committee and will be considered by the full Senate.

:(

Source? NRA-ILA doesn't seem to have this on the website nor have I yet received an email.

Yea, It seems they only made it to the 1400's...

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/committee_hearings/defaulttext.asp

Indeed, they haven't made it to this bill yet. Unless Red Headed Stranger knows something we don't. ???

hawkeye
08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
bump

AndrewMendez
08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Updates? I don't see anything on that link.

BluNorthern
08-13-2010, 7:51 AM
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5995

Paladin
08-13-2010, 8:21 AM
Mods, please lock this thread since it is about contacting the state senate appropriations committee members and this bill has passed out of that committee and will be considered on the state senate floor. We don't want CGN'ers to keep calling the state senate appropriations cmte members by mistake.

I'm starting a new thread about contacting your own, individual state senate member to stop AB1810.