PDA

View Full Version : how to legally have gun in car while travelin nevada

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 2:15 PM
On mobile device. sorry i cant search this. wat do i have to do to stay legal while transporting handgun through nevada and utah. plz help quick

Soldier415
08-06-2010, 2:32 PM
When I am in Nevada I have it loaded sitting on the passenger seat or on the dash unconcealed.

Unloaded in a locked container covers you in transit throughout CONUS

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 2:35 PM
Does it have to be locked if not loaded just like in ca?

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 3:19 PM
Come on yall dont let me get arrested! :)

Greg-Dawg
08-06-2010, 3:43 PM
Do you have a UT CCW? And have you read NV gun laws on transporting? I've traveled from TX, passing through NM and AZ on my way to CA: Carry in TX, locked in car safe in NM, carried in AZ and locked it in the rear of my car in CA.

I have a UT CCW, but stupid NV won't accept it. So just keep driving through NV and start carrying one in the pipe in UT.

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 3:48 PM
I am knowlgeable about Nevada. You may have a loaded handgun either LOC on your person or concealed anywhere inside your car without a permit with one exception. Nevada law considers concealed as "On Your Person". So as long as you don't conceal on your person you can carry without a permit. As far as Utah goes you can't have it loaded or concealed without a ccw. Doing so in Utah is a Felony! This is not FUD!

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 4:00 PM
Ok so unloaded in my suitcase and not locked is gtg in either state?

igorts
08-06-2010, 4:20 PM
Nevada stopped honoring Utah CCW not so long ago, right?

NiteQwill
08-06-2010, 4:43 PM
Handgun is fine loaded in your car anywhere except on your person.

Do not carry a loaded rifle in your car (NV defines loaded as round in the chamber, you can have a loaded mag in with NO round in the chamber and you're fine).

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 5:29 PM
Ok so unloaded in my suitcase and not locked is gtg in either state?

Yes, however, you can carry loaded (LOC) in Nevada without a permit or conceal anywhere in your car except on your person without a permit!

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 5:30 PM
Nevada stopped honoring Utah CCW not so long ago, right?

Yes, but that does not affect LOC!

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 7:30 PM
Sorry and to clarify. wats the protocol for utah? for in car

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 7:43 PM

Same as California. Unloaded and locked in trunk and you are fine. FYI, get a non-resident Utah ccw dude!

VegasND
08-06-2010, 7:44 PM
http://opencarry.org/ut.html
You may carry in your vehicle open or concealed just like in your home.
Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded.

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 7:46 PM
Lame i thought utah would be cooler. well i only come out this way once a year. thanks for the help.

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 7:47 PM
http://opencarry.org/ut.html

The problem lies with the two actions from fireing clause. A big hassle, which is solved by getting a Utah non-resident ccw! :rolleyes:

bballwizard05
08-06-2010, 7:57 PM
Got it thanks guys. i dont really plan on loc but its nice to know i can! thx for the help

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 7:59 PM
Lame i thought utah would be cooler. well i only come out this way once a year. thanks for the help.

Even if you only go to Utah once a year the permit is valid in 29 states!

VegasND
08-06-2010, 8:23 PM
The problem lies with the two actions from fireing clause. A big hassle, which is solved by getting a Utah non-resident ccw! :rolleyes:
True, but the OP doesn't currently have a Utah permit. He needs to know what to do now to stay legal.

BTW: The OP really needs to get himself a Utah (or Florida, depending on where he travels most) permit.

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 8:41 PM
True, but the OP doesn't currently have a Utah permit. He needs to know what to do now to stay legal.
BTW: The OP really needs to get himself a Utah (or Florida, depending on where he travels most) permit.

Understood, which is why my above posts addresed the issue, however, for the future a NR Utah and Nevada ccw will solve the problem!

norcal.xd
08-06-2010, 11:55 PM
good info....i am leaving in 2 hours for Nevada, i finally get to carry a loaded gun in my truck......its gonna be nice to be in a free state for a week......

Big Jake
08-07-2010, 8:10 AM
good info....i am leaving in 2 hours for Nevada, i finally get to carry a loaded gun in my truck......its gonna be nice to be in a free state for a week......

Carry safely!

adrenaline
08-07-2010, 8:16 AM
Same as California. Unloaded and locked in trunk and you are fine. FYI, get a non-resident Utah ccw dude!I am doing the same tomorrow. Not to Utah. I am in a SUV. I have a case with a combination lock that I keep my firearm in. For quick access, I keep that case nearby with the combo lined up except for one digit. Is that legal?

Big Jake
08-07-2010, 8:23 AM
I am doing the same tomorrow. Not to Utah. I am in a SUV. I have a case with a combination lock that I keep my firearm in. For quick access, I keep that case nearby with the combo lined up except for one digit. Is that legal?

You did not say if it was in California or another state.

Legal in California as long as gun is not loaded and ammo is not in the vault with the gun as that is considered loaded in the legal sense! Keep it in your locked vault and you are okay.

In Nevada you can carry loaded and LOC or conceal anywhere in your car without a permit except that you may not conceal upon your person as you would need a ccw to do so. Nevada defines concealed as on your person not in your car!

Acorn556
08-07-2010, 3:17 PM
I am doing the same tomorrow. Not to Utah. I am in a SUV. I have a case with a combination lock that I keep my firearm in. For quick access, I keep that case nearby with the combo lined up except for one digit. Is that legal?

I put mine in the truck like I'm going to the range.

When you're in Nevada you can have handguns loaded. I BELIEVE (dont know) you can't have a long gun loaded though.

As long as it's not connected to your body you're fine without a permit.