PDA

View Full Version : Best way to turn 3 used guns into one new gun?

JJE
08-06-2010, 1:09 PM
I have a few guns that I donít shoot much and probably won't shoot a lot in the future. Let's assume that these 3 guns together are worth at least 75% of the cost of a new Springfield EMP in 9mm, and Iíd like to minimize the "steps" required to make this swap.

Iíve never sold a gun, so even though I know that I can consign them at an FFL or I can try to arrange a PPT myself through this Forum or other venues, Iím not sure about how much time/hassle is involved in each. In a perfect world, I would walk into an FFL with the 3 guns and they would say: "Come back in 11 days for your EMP." But Iím sure it wonít be that simple.

If you wanted to do this, and you werenít in a big hurry, and you didnít mind adding some cash to minimize the hassle, how would you do it?

paul0660
08-06-2010, 1:14 PM
how old are the three guns? Rifles or handguns?

stix213
08-06-2010, 1:32 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/addaminsain/Pentagun.jpg

sorry couldn't resist :p

JJE
08-06-2010, 1:46 PM
I didn't list them because I didn't want this to turn into a "those guns aren't worth anywhere near $1100" thread, and also because I'm not exactly sure which guns I'd part with. But I can see why it's important to basically know what they are. So basically, they are all handguns, all one owner, none of them new condition (probably 1500 -3000 rounds each), but well-cared for, with some accessories (maybe an extra mag, a holster or both for each). Nothing collectable, exotic or crappy. If I had to choose today, I would say:

Walther (S&W) PPK/S,
Ruger Single Six Hunter (7.5" barrel),
Browning BuckMark Target (5.5" barrel)

(Nice one, stix213)

paul0660
08-06-2010, 1:54 PM
I asked to figure out if they were possibly C&R, so that you could transfer them without fees. I have sold guns on gunbroker without problem, and that might be a better market for the Browning. I have had lots of great transactions in our WTS forum, so I would figure out a fair price, ask a little more than that, offer to do PPT's at a reasonable distance, and value Itrader ratings and what sense of the buyer you can get from a phone conversation. Only accept cash. It is really pretty easy. Remember the buyer has to make two trips to the store, so making some accommodation for that is common.

ArkinDomino
08-06-2010, 3:18 PM
I read the title and thought about welding 3 mosins together.

berto
08-06-2010, 4:18 PM
You'll make the most money selling here. Attractive pricing and you could have you money in a week. Get lucky and one guy might buy all three as a package or you might be able to do all three deals with different buyers at the same time, unlikely but possible.

Consignment will cost you the dealer's cut and you have to wait for the right buyer to walk in the door.

I'd come up with a reasonable price and list everything here.

Rob454
08-06-2010, 5:01 PM
DO NOT CONSIGN THEM.
You will ALWAYS make more money selling them yourself than giving it to a broker to sell them. Remember he gets a percentage of your sale price. Selling a gun is a fairly painless procedure. Always take cash and only do the deal INSIDE the store. get your money before you do the PPT. i usually pay right as the gun is behind the counter and Im filling out FFL papers.
The guns are worth what people are willing to pay for them. IMO you can ALWAYS lower the price, its a lot harder to ask more once you posted a price for it. Whats wrong with the guns? Just bored with them? You may find someone who wants to trade for something and maybe you will both be happy?

Mickey D
08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
DO NOT CONSIGN THEM.
You will ALWAYS make more money selling them yourself than giving it to a broker to sell them. Remember he gets a percentage of your sale price. Selling a gun is a fairly painless procedure. Always take cash and only do the deal INSIDE the store. get your money before you do the PPT. i usually pay right as the gun is behind the counter and Im filling out FFL papers.
The guns are worth what people are willing to pay for them. IMO you can ALWAYS lower the price, its a lot harder to ask more once you posted a price for it. Whats wrong with the guns? Just bored with them? You may find someone who wants to trade for something and maybe you will both be happy?

Something else to consider with the consignment option. You will need to DROS them back to you when you take them back if they don't sell. More fees!

JJE
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks everybody - sounds like the consensus is that it's no big deal to just PPT them. I'll start checking out the Calguns sale board.

Rob454: I'm happy to say that I've never bought a gun that I regretted getting. I'm shooting more and more regularly than I ever have, but I'm also getting more serious about my shooting, which means that instead of just grabbing a random gun or two and heading to the range, I spend more time with fewer guns. I definitely have nothing against these guns, and I'm not bored with them, but my little gun safe is full, and I know I won't shoot these guns more than every couple of years. But since these are all nice guns, I may end up doing what I've always done, which is think about selling, but keeping them in the end!