PDA

View Full Version : shipping to a gunsmith/manafacturer

hawks
08-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Is it still legal for me as an individule to ship directly to a smith/manafacturer and receive the firearm shipped back to me? Gunshop tried to tell me it must go from an FFL and be shipped back to them .

Thanks
Hawks

paul0660
08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
If the gunsmith has a 01 it can go straight to them and back. Same with manufacturer. That FFL is wrong.

edit......ask the entity you are sending to, they may have a good deal on shipping worked out.if not completely on their dime.

andalusi
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Is it still legal for me as an individule to ship directly to a smith/manafacturer and receive the firearm shipped back to me? Gunshop tried to tell me it must go from an FFL and be shipped back to them .

Thanks
Hawks

As you're learning, gun shops are not the best place to learn about what the law actually is. You are fine to use UPS or Fed Ex to ship a handgun directly to an FFL or the manufacturer.

It might be cheaper to have your gun shop send the firearm, mind you, as they can use USPS Priority Mail (please correct me if I'm wrong on this, fellow Calgunners!).

paul0660
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
True, 01s can usps, but will charge a handling fee too. It never hurts to ask, BUT do call the people you are shipping to. If it is for a warranty repair, the shipping should be free, imo.

hawks
08-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks,
I figured that guy was full of BS. I'm old enough to tell when the BS meter is pegged. Just wanted to make sure I did not miss some new Californis law.

Hawks

paul0660
08-06-2010, 12:11 PM
No new laws. I just sent a sig to sig service in New Hampshire. I used their $55 roundtrip freight service, which was a pretty good deal for coast to coast. Went out UPS overnight to them, came back Fedex 2 day to my door. Biggest pain was being around for the delivery because a signature was needed.

GrizzlyGuy
08-06-2010, 1:15 PM
If the gunsmith has a 01 it can go straight to them and back. Same with manufacturer. That FFL is wrong.

Correct, and here is ATF saying the same thing (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps) (in case anyone doubts that). In each of the first two Q&A's below the destination of that link they say it is OK for a nonlicensee to ship to "a licensee in any State".

ke6guj
08-06-2010, 1:28 PM
and state law allows for it as well.

12078(e)
Section 12071, subdivisions (c) and (d) of Section 12072, and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 shall not apply to the delivery of a firearm to a gunsmith for service or repair, or to the return of the firearm to its owner by the gunsmith.