PDA

View Full Version : Sell all my guns?

ilikeguns
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
So I have a problem. Wife's tuition is about to be 9000 bucks, and Im getting less and less hours at work. Just got 3 overdraft fees and am basically in a tight spot.
So my only stuff that is worth anything is my guns.
Glock 17 3rd gen
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 express
Yugo sks 59/66
AR15 (on stags lower with dpms upper)

So do I sell all my guns? Do I keep one? If I can only have one, which do I keep?
Sucks, but so does life.

j1133s
08-06-2010, 11:46 AM
So I have a problem. Wife's tuition is about to be 9000 bucks, and Im getting less and less hours at work. Just got 3 overdraft fees and am basically in a tight spot.
Glock 17 3rd gen
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 express
Yugo sks 59/66

So do I sell all my guns? Do I keep one? If I can only have one, which do I keep?
Sucks, but so does life.

That depends on how much money you need.

Do you need $9k?
If so, then sell all your guns. If it's tuition, can you get a loan? Then just sell whatever you need to cover the loan payments.

You can look at it from a cash flow perspective. You need enough cash flow to not go bankrupt (and to avoid over draft fee, CC balances, etc. etc.). So sell accordingly.

audiopro74
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do. Personally I would keep the glock. Sorry for your luck.

jbolton
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
What you are doing for your wife will pay off in the future. Stay positive, do what you have to do, and stay in faith.

Falstaff
08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that. If it has to be one, I'd pick the rifle or maybe the shotty and the glock?. I firmly believe things are gonna get real bad before they get any better and the rifle may be slightly more usefull.

Best investment I ever made was my wife's tuition!

BayAreaShooter
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
You are in a very tough spot indeed. If you absolutely have no other possible way to come up with some money than in my eyes you do not really have an option. I hope your wife understands how much it means to even consider to sell your guns for her. If you absolutely have to do it I would suggest keeping ONE so you have something to protect your family and home. I would NEVER get rid of everything. You asked which one to keep if you do keep one. I would have to say the 870 because it is a very efficient home defense tool and you most likely will not get very much for it anyways. Good luck with your situation and making a hard decision.

DVSmith
08-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Glock 17 3rd gen (500)
Ruger 10/22 (200 - 400)
Remington 870 express (300)
Yugo sks 59/66 (300)
AR15 (on stags lower with dpms upper) (1,000)

Sucks, but so does life.

Just based on what you posted and looking at gunbroker, I am guessing you could maybe get 2500 for the lot.

I would keep the shotgun, sell the rest to keep you solvent, but try to get financial aid for the tuition.

andalusi
08-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Glock 17 3rd gen
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 express
Yugo sks 59/66

Sucks, but so does life.

With home defense in mind, I'd keep the 870. Though if you think your financial situation might improve in the next several months, maybe keep the Glock and buy a used 870 when you can spare $200-$300.

I think you're doing the right thing getting rid of at least a couple of guns, by the way, especially those that are just for fun at the range. But are there any other means you two can use to control your financial problems and that might let you keep at least a couple of your firearms?

For instance, does her school allow her to pay part of the tuition now, then pay the rest later in the semester or quarter? Are there any work study or loan options? Or can she drop to part-time for right now and make up classes next summer?

If credit cards or loans are getting out of hand, maybe negotiate with your lenders and see if you can defer payments or work out a lower payment for the time being.

Also, if you're underemployed, you might be eligible for some unemployment assistance. Possibly you'd qualify for other state assistance as well. Don't let pride get in the way of you and your wife having a roof over your head, working utilities, and enough in the fridge.

dadoody
08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Does your wife go out of her way to look up grants, scholarships, and fellowships? If not, she should, instead of having all this burden on you as well.

I have a friend who went to USC- 30k tuition per year back then, but through scholarships, grants, fellowships, my friend only ended up paying 9k per year.

And he's as White as they come, so these things exist.

!@#$
08-06-2010, 12:14 PM
i would keep the glock.

even if you sell all of them i see about $1800 total.

ilikeguns
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
we have both been in school and will finish in december. Our loans together would be enough to buy a Hummer and a small truck. Now with this last hit before we graduate, things are getting bad.
Oh ya, and I have a kid.
THinking ill keep the 870 and glock. Will probably sell the AR and the 10/22 first. then the sks. If it gets bad enough, then I guess the GLock...damn it...

Wicked Pete
08-06-2010, 12:41 PM
The economy is like a rabid dog biting at our heels. Sometimes we have to do things (sell stuff) that we wouldn't ordinarily do. Try to get a good price; don't get ripped off. I took a few rifles to a shop to sell, the guy said: "oh, these aren't worth anything...I'll give you $200 for this, $150 for that". Mint - Remington 30.06...yea, right!

But the Economy....Good Luck.

stitchnicklas
08-06-2010, 1:02 PM
just get student loans
my wife does,payments are deferred to 6 month after last class,if she keeps going to school they stay deferred,there are grants also ,pelgrants and such...

jazman
08-06-2010, 2:17 PM
You at thinking straight, education is worth every penny. Keep the 870 for home protection, and the Glock for fun and the range. Sell the rest, including the Glock if need be, none of them are hard to replace and you can get more later when your money situation evens out. Good luck with all this.:)

ArkinDomino
08-06-2010, 2:23 PM
My cousin paid for his wife tuition at one point too and then left him for some other guy she had class with. Horrible eh? I hate to sound like a jerk but why is this burden yours? Can't she figure out her own financial woes in regards to something like tuition? I can understand the situation if it involved being able to eat or having a roof over her head but tuition should be a personal expense not a "community" one. Good luck bro, I hope it works out for you.

sniper4usmc
08-06-2010, 2:27 PM
I would keeep glock

Milsurps
08-06-2010, 2:29 PM
Keep the long rifles as they are not on permanent list . Their replacements in future will be.
My 2

23 Blast
08-06-2010, 2:32 PM
Liquidating your gun collection is never fun, but certainly bring quick cash. That said, I wouldn't sell off the whole collection - I'd try to keep at least one. None of your guns are rare collectibles that would be difficult to replace, so if I were in a tight spot like yours I'd sell off everything but the shotgun and 10/22. Honestly, those two are likely to bring you very little money, anyway, and the 870 can fill your HD role while the 10/22 can be your inexpensive range plinker (certainly a lot cheaper to feed than any of the rest).

Good luck. Education isn't an expense. It's an investment.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-06-2010, 4:31 PM
I agree with this.

I'd sell off everything but the shotgun and 10/22.

frankm
08-06-2010, 4:43 PM
Glock 17 3rd gen
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 express
Yugo sks 59/66

Ask yourself the usefulness of each one for what you like. Is self defense your only criteria? Do you hunt rabbits? Pig? Deer? Do you think a rifle for self defense can also double as a hunting gun? Do you see yourself with a need for carrying a pistol on you or in your car? Make three piles. What you definitely want, what you aren't sure about, and what you definitely can sell.

NIB
08-06-2010, 4:51 PM
I would keep the Yugo SKS, everything else can be replaced at a later date.

tomd1584
08-06-2010, 5:38 PM
What you are doing for your wife will pay off in the future. Stay positive, do what you have to do, and stay in faith.

This.

Family first. work on trying to get loans/grants, but you can always buy guns. I wouldnt hesitate for one second to sell a gun if my family needed cash.

toby
08-06-2010, 5:43 PM
Sell them all and replace the glock with something caheaper and replace it or? later. They are all replacable at any givin time. By the way been there done that! went from 50+ down to 30...Good luck.

frankm
08-06-2010, 5:55 PM
I would keep the Yugo SKS, everything else can be replaced at a later date.

There is some logic there. The others are more common.

E-120
08-06-2010, 6:02 PM
Whatever it takes. Education is a great investment.

Seesm
08-06-2010, 9:30 PM
find another way to pay... keep your guns... they are your tools...

faterikcartman
08-06-2010, 9:40 PM
A man does what he has to do.

pullnshoot25
08-06-2010, 9:57 PM
Keep the glock and the shotgun, those are the most practical ones of the bunch.

ilikeguns
08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Im hearing shotgun and glock with the most votes. Wasn't expecting the 10/22 or sks but I see how that could work.
Considering that I have a long barrel, short barrel, full stock and pistol grip only stock, the 870 shotgun is my most versatile gun. I'm thinking if everything else goes, this stays. Turners is selling these new for 299 with a 50 dollar rebate, so I'd get only 250 for it anyway.
Thanks guys. I guess if I decide to sell, you'll be seeing these in the for sale section. Cant wait till the economy picks up. Im working on a law enforcement career, but every job opening there has about 500 applicants or more. The military is starting to look better every day. I wouldn't half mind taking out this frustration by kicking some terrorist ***!

FS00008
08-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Glock and Shotgun.

randy
08-07-2010, 2:33 AM
If you get 2k for all your guns you're still 7k short. If you keep a couple you are 1500 short. If you don't have the 7k or 7.5k then you don't have any guns and still she doesn't have the $$ to go to school. Maybe she needs to take a job and sit out a semester until she can save up some $$$. Then selling your guns to make up the difference might make sense.

yzernie
08-07-2010, 6:49 AM
I commend you for your willingness to to look at all options. There are times in our lives when we have to make decisions that are trying. IMHO, to fund an education for a loved one would be worth selling some of my guns. A couple of guns can always be replaced at a later date but the opportunities to complete a degree are substantially less frequent.

I agree with you that the 870 would be the one to keep. A good home defense option and with Wal*Mart 100rd noxes of 7.5 or 8 shot still inexpensive to shoot every now and then. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Cobrafreak
08-07-2010, 7:00 AM
Do not ever be without just one.

WTSGDYBBR
08-07-2010, 7:08 AM
You may want to keep your guns . You wont every get your paid asking price for the firearms. You will be lucky to get $2,900 for all what you got if there not beat to hell. Getting rid of the firearms you own may be the worse you ever did in your life. Living in Nazi Cal you may never get them back in the future. Everyone is tight on money. Time to sell off some of your toys like tools , atvs, extra cars cash for gold. I would sell my wife before I sold my guns !

vantec08
08-07-2010, 7:24 AM
Bugger of a place to be, man. I've been selling off mostly long guns because of arthritis and surgeries. Cant even get 2/3 of what I have invested in one, so will keep it. Cant imagine selling for half or less. Good luck to you.

bsg
08-07-2010, 8:42 AM
the school may be able to assist you with financial aid alternatives; speak with their representatives.

in answer to your question... i would keep the glock and if possible, the remington 870 as well.

Lone_Gunman
08-07-2010, 9:40 AM
Keep the guns, find another way. I have sold guns to pay bills in the past and I totally regret it. Now I have more bills and don't have those guns anymore. Get student loans or something. I will never sell another gun of mine unless it is to facilitate buying another gun that I want more.

bsg
08-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Keep the guns, find another way. I have sold guns to pay bills in the past and I totally regret it. Now I have more bills and don't have those guns anymore. Get student loans or something. I will never sell another gun of mine unless it is to facilitate buying another gun that I want more.

i feel your pain.

yzernie
08-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Man, some of these replies are to funny!! The bottom line is you are the only one who knows what is the right thing to do for you and your wife. I've sold plenty of my guns over the years to fund both of my son's education. Honestly, there are some of the guns I do regret selling but I can tell you this with 100% sincerity, seeing my boys getting their Master's and Bachelor's Degrees....priceless!! :D

bsg
08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Man, some of these replies are to funny!! The bottom line is you are the only one who knows what is the right thing to do for you and your wife. I've sold plenty of my guns over the years to fund both of my son's education. Honestly, there are some of the guns I do regret selling but I can tell you this with 100% sincerity, seeing my boys getting their Master's and Bachelor's Degrees....priceless!! :D

yes; good head on your shoulders.... i raised three children alone for most of their childhood. i did what i could do, and what i had to do. was it all worth it? you bet. my son just graduated from college and is transferring to Cal State San Bernardino for another journey; i'm very excited about this!

bruceflinch
08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Keep the guns. Sell your sperm & plasma...

bsg
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Keep the guns. Sell your sperm & plasma...

you've got a good head on your shoulders too. wonder when Big Jake is going to chime in; he'll want pictures....

Beelzy
08-07-2010, 1:04 PM
Sell something else. Guns should only be sold for Rent or Food....IMO.

pieeater
08-07-2010, 1:20 PM
Keep the guns get rid of the wife. But seriously dont worry about selling them, been there done that. You can build collection back up when times are good