PDA

View Full Version : Vacation.. need L/U OC help

hakcenter
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
My family and I are taking a vacation waaay out to Parker AZ for the river. Google map of area. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Riverside,+Ca&daddr=Parker,+AZ&geocode=FUUWBgIdRK0A-Sm7ffR_36bcgDHoCl4TBdeh9w%3BFYAWCQIdIhYw-Skd5fEnAYPRgDHc7Vk66FDl-A&gl=us&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=35.799994,-107.995605&sspn=13.11891,28.54248&ie=UTF8&ll=34.206354,-114.217021&spn=0.012546,0.027874&t=h&z=16)

I've been trying to gather up as much information as possible. From what I gather AZ has no problems with any form of OC (car or not) as long as your not in a GFSZ.

However the side I'm worried about is the CA side. It is the town of Earp (if you want to call it a town), but it falls in the County of San Bernardino.

I was looking through SB's muni code, and I don't see anything specifically about car OC...

opencarry.org/ca.html states:
Open Car Carry

Firearms may be openly carried in cars in unincorporated areas unless the county has made open carry illegal, or, pursuant to a CA open carry permit issued (and apparently valid only in) a county with a population of less than 200,000 persons.

Now I know Earp is unincorporated, but I'm worried about SB County Muni code.

turbogg
08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
If I were you, I would err on the side of caution while in Cali. Once safely across the border in AZ, then do what you orginally intended, and have fun in beautiful, and hot AZ!

1_Grendel
08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
if i were you i would go straight to the source.

have fun & be safe on you vacation, bring back lots of pics.

San Bernardino County Sheriff - www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us
655 East 3rd Street, San Bernardino - (909) 387-8313

Flopper
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
if i were you i would go straight to the source.

have fun & be safe on you vacation, bring back lots of pics.

San Bernardino County Sheriff - www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us
655 East 3rd Street, San Bernardino - (909) 387-8313

In a normal world, that would make sense.

Unfortunately asking the government about laws, particularly those related to firearms, will most likely get you incorrect answers.

Although unloaded open carry is legal in your car in CA, the best way to avoid unnecessary trouble is to keep your handgun locked and unloaded in a case, or to unload it and put it in your trunk until you reach AZ.

I prefer unloading it and locking it in a case; it is the best legal alternative to CCW.

cmth
08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Don't forget you can CC now without a permit if over 21. Also AZ does not have a state school zone law, and there is no enforcement of the federal law. Arizona is a different universe than California.

GrizzlyGuy
08-06-2010, 1:05 PM
However the side I'm worried about is the CA side. It is the town of Earp (if you want to call it a town), but it falls in the County of San Bernardino.

Here is the San Bernadino county code chapter on firearms (http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/sanbernardinocounty_ca/title2publicmoralssafetyandwelfare/division2firearmsanddangerousweapons/chapter1firearms). I skimmed it and didn't see any issues for you, but you should go through it carefully to confirm that.

MudCamper
08-06-2010, 1:27 PM
Loaded open carry in a car would not be legal (I assume you'll be driving on roads). Unloaded open carry is legal, unless you are within 1000 feet of a K-12 school. Locked in secure case and unloaded is always legal.

See: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?67322-Read-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information
And: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

wheels
08-06-2010, 2:01 PM
If I were you, I would err on the side of caution while in Cali. Once safely across the border in AZ, then do what you orginally intended, and have fun in beautiful, and hot AZ!

^ This ^

Unless you are willing to spend part of your vacation dealing with a LEO encounter, I'd have it unloaded and locked while in CA.

A LEO encounter in CA while in possession of a gun is a crap shoot.

dustoff31
08-06-2010, 7:42 PM
Also keep in mind that a good deal of property in that area is Indian Reservation where they have their own rules.