PDA

View Full Version : Confused newbie on AR law

UnitedWeStand
08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi EV1,
I was planning to buy an AR but one of my Uncle who is very knowledgeable about guns (he also have a sh!at load of guns) told me that the new law is in affect and it is illegal to own one. He told me you can not buy one and if anybody own one have to get rid of it. Can anybody clarify this or no anything about new change on gun law regarding AR's. I am not sure if he is messing with me. He have never lied to me before and always respected him.....Thanks

Turo
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
This is somewhat of a tricky statement. On one hand, a true "AR-15" model gun made by Colt or Armalite is an "assault weapon" under CA state law and, if registered, cannot be bought or sold to anyone not exempt from the assault weapon law. If it's unregistered as an "Assault Weapon" then it's not a legal gun to own.

The thing is, lots of companies make AR-15 copies that are not branded an "AR-15" model, and thus are not on the list of banned-by-name guns. Those are perfectly legal to own/buy/sell/etc. This is not new, and the law was passed some 10 years ago.

You should read the "CA AW ID Flowchart" under "AW & OLL Guides" at the top of the forums. It should help you understand some of the laws regarding "AR-15" guns and AR-15 "style" guns.

ir0nclash86
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
If you want an AR 15 all you have to do is go to a gunstore and check out their selection of rifles. They can only sell you semi-auto rifles and not fully automatic. The gunstore clerk will be happy to assist you in making a selection of a legal rifle of your choice.

UnitedWeStand
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
That's what I thought but he told me there was a new law that just came out banning all of them. I guess he was probably messing with me on my first AR purchase. Thanks for info.

Exile Machine
08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Surprised no one brought up the Flowchart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

That'll tell you pretty much all you need to know about configuring an AR to be legal in CA.

-Mark

evidens83
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Sorry to say but your uncle obviously dont know anything but :fud: I suggest you and him take some time reading on this site before he spouts any more of his knowledge.

stix213
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi EV1,
I was planning to buy an AR but one of my Uncle who is very knowledgeable about guns (he also have a sh!at load of guns) told me that the new law is in affect and it is illegal to own one.

Ha!

He either is messing with you, or more likely actually isn't very knowledgeable about gun laws. If you buy one that isn't on the banned list (most aren't banned), and if you configure it CA legal, you are good to go. See the above mentioned AW flowchart for details on both.

joedogboy
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Sorry to say but your uncle obviously dont know anything but :fud: I suggest you and him take some time reading on this site before he spouts any more of his knowledge.

Your uncle is not full of crap - he just hasn't kept up with changes to CA firearms laws. At one time, it was illegal to purchase an AR in CA. Many gun owners are still not aware that ARs can be purchased legally, through OLL lowers, bullet buttons, and "featureless" builds.

owenriquez
08-06-2010, 1:22 PM
GO CHECK THE CALGUNS FLOWCHART... :)

Army
08-06-2010, 2:17 PM
There has been no "new law" since the 1990 selective ban, other than magazine capacity.

Case law out of fresno confirmed that the DOJ must add any new receiver to the named list, something the DOJ simply could not do, and issued a memo saying they would not and could not add name and manufacturer to the growing list, nor could they prosecute anyone with a receiver that was not on the list. This was the beginning of the Off List Lower (OLL) discovery by legally knowledgalbe FFL dealers in the state...noteably Wes, at Ten Percent Firearms.

So, click on any of the many tags at the top of these pages to peruse your next new rifle :)