PDA

View Full Version : guns are getting pretty cheap here in CA

Tim Leese
08-06-2010, 9:19 AM
Looking at ads from Turners I see that many guns are at the lowest prices in about one year. I bought a Ruger mini 14 for $759 about 8 months ago and now its like in the 5's.

I guess lower demand and weak economy have some benifits. Time to go buy another gun !!!

ilikeguns
08-06-2010, 9:27 AM
These prices are still a bit high. The obama thing really threw these prices sky high. Don't forget that there is a second term in the possible future for Obama, which may skyrocket prices again.

Tim Leese
08-06-2010, 9:33 AM
These prices are still a bit high. The obama thing really threw these prices sky high. Don't forget that there is a second term in the possible future for Obama, which may skyrocket prices again.

I know prices are high on a 5 yr level, but they are low on a 2 year level.

Personally I dont think Obama is getting re-elected. However, if he does I dont see it raises gun or ammo prices. The McDonald ruling has basically shown that no federal or state legislation is going to take away our guns or our gun rights.

We are safe.......and we are WELL ARMED !!!!!

Cali-Shooter
08-06-2010, 9:40 AM
Also, don't forget the $50 transfer fee, and the $25 DROS fee. And also, if you don't have a gun safe at home, by our wonderful laws, you must have a gun lock and evidence of recent purchase of it (receipt within 30 days), so that will run you another $5-15. And finally, if you purchase a EBR, a BB or equivalent for $25 or more. So for the average gun purchase, expect to pay whatever the cost of the gun is, plus $80.00. These fees sort of ruin those bargain purchases, such as Big 5 Mosins :mad:

Tim Leese
08-06-2010, 9:42 AM
wait, what is this gun safe deal you are talking about ?

shooting4life
08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Gun safe only works on long guns, handguns still need a lock. You think the prices are going down, you should see how high they are here compared to the stuff that sells on gunbroker. Any pre lock smith will sell for more than 200 here than gunbroker. A regular 686 is going for 650-700 here and sell on gunbroker for around 450 for like condition.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE.

Hoolpe
08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Also, don't forget the $50 transfer fee, and the $25 DROS fee. And also, if you don't have a gun safe at home, by our wonderful laws, you must have a gun lock and evidence of recent purchase of it (receipt within 30 days), so that will run you another $5-15. And finally, if you purchase a EBR, a BB or equivalent for $25 or more. So for the average gun purchase, expect to pay whatever the cost of the gun is, plus $80.00. These fees sort of ruin those bargain purchases, such as Big 5 Mosins :mad:

Some (not all) FFLs are okay with the use of a child safety lock from the police or Sheriff's department. They're free and you don't need a receipt either.

stix213
08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
All it would take is a push by Obama for a nation wide AW ban (which wouldn't pass, but it passing isn't the point) and you'll see demand, and hence prices, jump again.

Scratch705
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM

transfer fee vary by FFL and only if it is a Out of State purchase,

the only fee you have to deal with in buying in CA is the $25 DROS fee and buying of a lock (unless gun came with it, manufacturer lock, at least for long guns, handguns may need additional lock?)

as for having to buy a lock, just purchase from a different store right before you pickup your gun, then after you pickup, return the lock. no money lost. the law only states you need a lock at time of pickup, not for the rest of the time ;)

missiondude
08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I know prices are high on a 5 yr level, but they are low on a 2 year level.

Personally I dont think Obama is getting re-elected. However, if he does I dont see it raises gun or ammo prices. The McDonald ruling has basically shown that no federal or state legislation is going to take away our guns or our gun rights.

We are safe.......and we are WELL ARMED !!!!!

I can see obama getting re-elected unless the Republicans get their stuff together and find a good candidate. I can see obama dumping biden, and running with hillary to rally their base. Hillary may not want to play second fiddle again, but she could figure that 2 terms as VP could lead to at least one as Pres... Yes, some of the middle voters will not be fooled a second time, but plenty will. Excuse me, now I need to go puke.

paul0660
08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
transfer fee vary by FFL and only if it is a Out of State purchase,

the only fee you have to deal with in buying in CA is the $25 DROS fee and buying of a lock

In state or not, there is a transfer fee on everything but 50+ year old FTF transfers of long guns, including PPTs which are limited to $10. Most gun shops have the transfer in their retail price, but it is there.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Do a safe affidavit and no lock is needed for rifles or shotguns.

BayAreaShooter
08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I bought a Ruger mini 14 for $759 about 8 months ago and now its like in the 5's.

I am in California and around my parts mini 14's are still in the $700-$800 range.

Scratch705
08-06-2010, 12:53 PM
In state or not, there is a transfer fee on everything but 50+ year old FTF transfers of long guns, including PPTs which are limited to $10. Most gun shops have the transfer in their retail price, but it is there.

if the price is built into the price of the gun, then you don't add another $50 on top of that price as cali-shooter inferred.

Silverlake223
08-06-2010, 8:11 PM
Well, Mini 14's may not be the best example of prices, as a gun shop worker told me the other day that since the release of the BB AR's Mini's are not selling very well at all. If they get to the $500 range heck, I will get one to keep my AR round count down.

ZX-10R
08-06-2010, 8:16 PM
Until they get as cheap as some states like WA or OR this state still sucks for shooters.

bellwilliam
08-06-2010, 11:32 PM
http://turners.com/engage/events_weeklyad.html
$599 for SS Mini 14
but only 46 guns available.

HCz
08-07-2010, 1:03 AM
Prices has been coming down, especially this year. I've had chance to pick up some great deals, but alas, my fun money also evaporated.:p The price we see now is pretty much the level we had before Obama scare. Took some time, but we are back where we were. It seems like the number of transactions are way down though.

Hayashi Killian
08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
As someone who lives outside of CA, I can tell you this: gun prices are fairly constant throughout the US. There's a slight variance but not a lot. The biggest difference is lower costs of living coupled with unproportionally less pay (only due to lower costs of living) results in a higher allowance of "spending" money. I make more than I did in CA but lose more due to income tax (and paying taxes of two states), yet my costs of living don't drain 3/4 of my after-tax income which means I have more to spend elsewhere.

CSACANNONEER
08-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Prices are not "low" now, they are just lower than they were. I still feel that they will continue to drop until they are back down to normal. Even then, they will drop a bit more and then go back up to where they should be.

I am in California and around my parts mini 14's are still in the $700-$800 range.

I can't believe anyone would pay so much for a $300 gun.