PDA

View Full Version : "I take it" than backing out... wasted time and opportunity for real trade.. People..

Bongos
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
the latest one is "I take it" than I have to stay home to take care of my newborn... so I said "I will come to a FFL close to him"... then it went to "I can't make it, I'm sick and have to pass"....

The thing is, I do not mind the backing if it is early in the negotiation, this person threw a lowball offer and I just happen to buy another gun minutes before, so I thought "why not" since I was getting a good deal on my purchase... I don't think he was expecting to get it.... a few days go by and a few excuses later.. all that time lost as I have another trade offer I would have like to do but tied in to this guy. By the time he said he backed out, the other guy traded his Nightforce, so I'm out of a sale as well as a trade for a Scope I was really wanting, all because of this guy, if he said it sooner, it would have been OK... Why do people do what do? the quality of people is what it used to be a few years ago... Don't get me wrong, with the trying times, I myself have backed out, but I let the seller know within minutes or hours if I had second thoughts and wanted out... not days...

Sorry just venting!

stitchnicklas
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
name them...save someone from wasting time on them..

Falstaff
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Names names!

bigthaiboy
08-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Reflect your disappointment in that person's behavior in their iTrader feedback.

Ed_Hazard
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Karma?:D

Not really, just happens sometimes. If I had a buck for allthe flakes I've had, I'd have two bucks:D. Just mark it up to experience and move on.

norcal77
Reflect your disappointment in that person's behavior in their iTrader feedback.

+1...I have no problem venting my anger in a more constructive way.

bjl333
Yeap iTrader !!!

I personally think that should be treated like Ebay or Gunbroker. If a deadbeat "I'll take it" then backs out, one better have a darn good reason or they will be BANNED. I would feel the same way if a deadbeat did the same thing.

WHO IS IT ??? :D

Ed_Hazard
08-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Unfortunately you cant leave negative iTrader for flakeing. You can contact the MODS and try to have the guy banned through the arbitration.

As far as Nameing the member goes, I'm fairly certain the MODS wont let a public flogging go on, and the poster might just find themselves on the wrong side.

SNEAKS
08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I understand, I have had several people on here do things close to that. I had one person tell me he was going to PM me when he gets off work so we could meet up to do the PPT at a agreed location and he knew it was my day off and usually go fishing on that day and am not around for that kind of thing but willing to make an exception. He never PM me and never responded back. Another one cancelled a 1 1/2 days before the scheduled meeting
(which was on a holiday) and it was a C&R so stores being open was not a big deal. I had cancelled my previous arrangement to go out camping that holiday to make it happen just so he could PM me 35 hours before the meet that he could not wait those 5 days and just bought something else.

Scratch705
08-05-2010, 11:52 PM
this is why you should add a disclaimer "whoever can show the money gets it." or "i reserve the right to pull out of sale for trades or other offers."

mrlightning559
08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
My last sale I didn't commit to saying the gin was sold ti I had cash in hand I let the other interested party know what was going on and ghat if x didn't buy today they had the next shot screw SPF I play sold when I got green

Bongos
08-06-2010, 4:08 AM
As far as giving negative itrader, I only consider this option, if for instance, we are schedule to meet and he never showed up, or you get product thru the mail, it was not what you expect by a long shot or any malicious intent of ripping you off.

In this case, the guy had an OK itrader rating of +27 at 100%, which had no indication he was going to do ths

kurac
08-06-2010, 8:09 AM
You think people on this forum are flakes, try craigslist

Barabas
08-06-2010, 8:22 AM
They're the SAME PEOPLE! It takes all types to make the world go 'round.

I let go of the idea that buyers are doing me a service by buying my items. I don't go out of my way to make things easy for them, but I don't make it difficult either. I won't change prior plans for a sale, or accommodate unreasonable demands, but I will ensure that there is communication from my end. Once I've received funds, once I've packed, once I've shipped, and once it's been delivered. I don't expect any feedback at any point, even though it is the adult thing to do.

It's a rare treat to have a transaction go smoothly. It wouldn't be quite so special if it wasn't for the flakes.

sd_shooter
08-06-2010, 8:46 AM
Unfortunately you cant leave negative iTrader for flakeing. You can contact the MODS and try to have the guy banned through the arbitration.

Why not? What other reason would there be?

On the other hand, ever try to sell a car? Probably 90% of people are flakes. "I'll come by at 2PM tomorrow to look at the car! I'm very interested!" This means: "I'm a professional lowballer and you're just one of the many people I'm cold calling before I finally catch someone in my net."

shooting4life
08-06-2010, 8:57 AM
I am very open when I sell guns. I will drive to ffl's closer to the seller and things like that. However, if I am selling a gun and not meeting someone the next day I will ask the buyer to paypal me $50 towards the purchase of the item. Then when we meet I'll collect the rest in cash. Did this when I was selling a handgun to someone in Sacramento. I was not going to drive 2 hours each way to be stood up.
The only thing that is worse than people backing out is when they try and re negotiate the price after a deal has been made when they have not even seen the item in person. Nothing changing between the the time the deal is made and when they try and get a lower price.

Ed_Hazard
08-06-2010, 9:01 AM

On the other hand, ever try to sell a car? Probably 90% of people are flakes. "I'll come by at 2PM tomorrow to look at the car! I'm very interested!" This means: "I'm a professional lowballer and you're just one of the many people I'm cold calling before I finally catch someone in my net."

Well because it is not allowed by the rules, not for flakeing. You can only leave negative iTrader for very specific reasons ($). They want you to leave neutral iTrader in that instance as per the rules. Now I'm not saying thats right but thats the way it is.

Ed_Hazard
08-06-2010, 9:05 AM
I am very open when I sell guns. I will drive to ffl's closer to the seller and things like that. However, if I am selling a gun and not meeting someone the next day I will ask the buyer to paypal me $50 towards the purchase of the item. Then when we meet I'll collect the rest in cash. Did this when I was selling a handgun to someone in Sacramento. I was not going to drive 2 hours each way to be stood up.
The only thing that is worse than people backing out is when they try and re negotiate the price after a deal has been made when they have not even seen the item in person. Nothing changing between the the time the deal is made and when they try and get a lower price.

Very reasonable and prudent, personally I would not have a problem with that arangement. Me, I try to push the buyer to use an FFL of my choice.(Ammo Bros. in Cerritos BTW:thumbsup:) Usually this will deter most of the flakers and tire kickers.

shooting4life
08-06-2010, 9:20 AM
I have my short list of ffl's as well. Just if I am having a hard time selling something and someone shows some interest expanding my travel area might be the thing that closes the deal, especially with off roster handguns. When I sold my pistol to the guy in sac we agreed that he would pay a little more because of my travel. I just did kit want to get up there and have him not be there. This works well because I only have to make he trip once where he would need to make the drive twice.

bubbapug1
08-06-2010, 9:22 AM
I'll take it!!!

Than again...well................maybe not!

bjl333
08-06-2010, 9:28 AM

YOU my friend is most definately in the car biz !!! Or atleast used to be ... :D

I just hate the way people go back on their words. It absolutely drives me nuts ... I was in the car biz at a very young age. I threw a 5' tree across the showroom floor that used to be infront of the GM's office, just for him ok'ing a deal and then made liar out of me coz he backed out.

Juice5610
08-06-2010, 9:35 AM
**** happens brother that or some people just dont have the balls to tell the seller oh I changed my mind and I dont want it anymore

ar15barrels
08-06-2010, 1:49 PM
Unfortunately you cant leave negative iTrader for flakeing.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/itrader.php?u=22349

ar15barrels
08-06-2010, 1:51 PM
Why not?

I just left ed hazard neutral feedback to prove that anyone can leave feedback for anything... :D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/itrader.php?u=22349

Noobert
08-06-2010, 1:53 PM
:rofl:

rero360
08-06-2010, 2:39 PM
How about this, guy offers to buy a gun from me for 50 bucks less than my asking price, no worries, $550 is still worthwile, so I say deal, $550 and I'll toss in the scope mounts for free. Keep in mind I had origionally offered to cover half the cost of the DROS.

Guy PMs the next day asking if I could do $500 and pay the total of the DROS instead.

Now even though I am currently a bit strapped for cash, it really is the principle of the matter. I told him origional deal or no deal.

-hanko
08-06-2010, 3:25 PM

That's unfortunately the norm for car deals, especially on craigslist.

Otoh, that's NOT the norm for any other FS forum on any other gunboard I've joined or visited.

Can a mod explain the REASON why someone who won't stand by his word can't receive negative feedback.

Further, why wouldn't such a low down son of a lady dog not deserve negative feedback. What's the problem with a "public flogging"...i.e., post the pm's and emails that back up the negative feedback??

Curious:confused:

-hanko

ar15barrels
08-06-2010, 3:31 PM
Can a mod explain the REASON why someone who won't stand by his word can't receive negative feedback.

Further, why wouldn't such a low down son of a lady dog not deserve negative feedback. What's the problem with a "public flogging"...i.e., post the pm's and emails that back up the negative feedback??

We have to protect the evildoers for they are innocent until proven guilty by a court of moderators.

toby
08-06-2010, 3:41 PM
Sucks, I know how about when you get an I'll take it, make arrangements to go out of your way , the guy show's up late, then brings no cash and want's to write a check?and add to that Hey! how long doe's it take for all the paper work? then say's I don't have that much time let's do this another time. Turns out he is talking on His free time not mine. I still have the gun well he thinks that anyway. :censored:head

Rob454
08-06-2010, 3:51 PM

This is the reason why when I sell something I always go with the mindset of if it sells it sell if it doesn't then it doesn't. I never bank on a Ill take it till I see the $$. ive had peopel call me over the phone trying to make deals. i usually say

I dont make deals over the phone. You have no idea what you are buying. As soon as i agree to a price when you come down you will try to lower THAT price cause you will find a scratch or dent and will want a lower price cause "you did not see that". So if you really are interested in the vehicle come down and check it out.
( i make sure that EVERYTHING on the vehicle works nothing is broken or missing. its smogged and cleaned out. I price my vehicles fairly and I have a little wiggle room. Not a lot but a few hundred bucks. My vehicles are in great shape cause I take care of them so yes I demand a higher price than the guy with the same truck with 250 000 miles on the clock. )

I dont like dealing with car lowballers. I had one guy offer me 2000$ for a chevy crew cab 4x4 that the month before the insurance company replaced a motor and transmission and some other stuff totaling 12K worth of work AND it had a chevy dealer warranty for 60 k or 3 years on both motor and the tranny I think was 5 year or 80K. i just laughed at him. Sold the truck a week later for my asking price.
Most peopel think that if its for sale you must be hurting for money otherwise why are you selling it? Not everyone sells cause they are financially strapped. I usually make a offer about 15% less than the asking price ( obviously depending on the item) but if its fairly priced then i just buy it.

I recently backed out of a gun deal. Not because i didnt have the money or flaked or did not want the gun. The price was insanely great thats why I jumped on it. I didnt get it cause I felt uncomfortable buying a gun that was not in the sellers name. may be perfectly legal but I felt uncomfortable. if I just simply flaked never contacted/stood the guy up then I should of gotten a bad/neutral I trader. And I told the member about 7-9 days BEFORE our meeting date. Plenty of time to sell it. And the price he was asking for it i doubt he had it for long.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-06-2010, 4:14 PM
It happens more than you think. Sure it's a bad thing to do but people do it. Just have to move on to next buyer.

Noonanda
08-06-2010, 9:18 PM
I had a guy PM me that he wanted a rifle I was selling. Ok cool, mark it as SPF. Get a PM a few minutes late, telling me" he was trying to find a FFL that wouldnt charge an arm and a le"g. Im like not a problem, let me know when you find one. like the next day he says he cant find one that wont cost alot for the rifle which is C&R. Im like WTF you made the choice, you knew it woiuld cost money to transfer it, regardless of C&R or not ( i have a C&R so must send it to a FFL unless FTF, he is in Fresno, im in yucca valley and ait driving.) I wanted to give him bad feedback but instead left neutral stating he backed out because of a failure on his part, slammed him a bit and hope it costs him a sale down the road. I think we should play big boy rules, you say "i'll take it" and back out you should get neg feedback. it is like that on the auction sites. I had to back out of a deal on gunbroker one time, wifes mother passed away and needed to fly her back to Cali from oklahoma. Told the guy," cant buy the rifle but will pay your auction fee for your troubles" (like 5 bucks) vice buying a 250 dollar rifle. That guy was cool about it and thats a fair way of backing out of a deal I think.

andalusi
08-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Im like WTF you made the choice, you knew it woiuld cost money to transfer it, regardless of C&R or not ( i have a C&R so must send it to a FFL unless FTF, he is in Fresno, im in yucca valley and ait driving.)

I'm pretty sure that's just for sales shipped out-of-state. Why would you need to send a C&R rifle to an FFL if you're shipping within California? Do you have a source for this, by any chance?

ke6guj
08-07-2010, 12:06 PM
( i have a C&R so must send it to a FFL unless FTF, he is in Fresno, im in yucca valley and ait driving.).not true. There is no law that says you can only ship to another FFL. As long both you and the buyer are CA-residents, and the C&R long gun is over 50-years old, you can just ship the rifle to him, no receiving FFL needed. Just get the buyer's info and log it out to him.

Bongos
08-08-2010, 7:38 AM
It happens more than you think. Sure it's a bad thing to do but people do it. Just have to move on to next buyer.

The point is, he wasted my time and cause me to loose another sale... it is not OK

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-08-2010, 1:23 PM
Bongos,
I agree with you. Like I said it happen's. Leave neutral iTrader and everybody here will know why. Sorry you lost another sale.
If I were you I would put it in my for sale post If you flake you will get a neutral itrader.

Hayashi Killian
08-08-2010, 1:40 PM
Sometimes people backing out have legit reasons. I was looking to buy a M&P45 from a person here, then before I went out to start the transfer I lost my job, and simply couldn't afford to drop $500 at the moment. I'd say that if someone gives you a reason, just shrug and say 'ok'. If they just ghost out, then that's a bad reaction.

Sky_DiveR
08-08-2010, 3:57 PM
Sometimes it's just the way it goes. I pulled a rifle I was selling cuz I went thru 12 different people that wanted to buy and then backed out. Even a couple were senior members... A few asked if it was still available and when I got back to them, they said they had their funds "tied up in other projects" (some as early as the same evening). I'm just curious why people even bother to ask if the rifle was still available if their funds were tied up??? :shrug:

Of course I also got the normal lo-ballers that want everything for pocket change.... and have it gift wrapped and hand delivered too. That's the cost of doing business. Most will do ya right and the rest will only waste your time... and I try to answer all of them. Bottom line, all I can hope for is a quick sale with a stand up person early on in the sale.

E Pluribus Unum
08-08-2010, 4:12 PM
I have a newborn, and I am very sick right now, so I did not read any of the responses... but seriously...

what's his name?

P.S.

Yeah... it sucks. We all understand that sometimes you need to back out of it, but when you do, be a man and tell the truth about it.

-hanko
08-08-2010, 6:18 PM
Get a PM a few minutes late, telling me" he was trying to find a FFL that wouldnt charge an arm and a le"g.

Im like WTF you made the choice, you knew it woiuld cost money to transfer it, regardless of C&R or not ( i have a C&R so must send it to a FFL unless FTF, he is in Fresno, im in yucca valley and ait driving.)
You might want to read that big envelope full of stuff that the ATF sent you when you received your C&R...:confused:

-hanko

TacFan
08-08-2010, 6:56 PM
I had a guy waste my time. He said he would take it and I talked to him on the phone for about an hour and listened to his stories (guy talked a lot). I was being nice and listened

At the end after 3 days, he said he had a family emergency. Like i haven't heard that before :rolleyes:

Barabas
08-09-2010, 8:22 AM
How about the guys who will insult you over your asking price then days later ask you if it's still available for sale?

I don't reward bad behavior in my dogs, why would I do so with a complete stranger?

Noonanda
08-09-2010, 7:31 PM
You might want to read that big envelope full of stuff that the ATF sent you when you received your C&R...:confused:

-hanko

Well I need to log his info into my bound book, so as a rule I only do FTF where I can verify his ID is his and he is old enough, or mailed to an FFL. Had a buddy get into a bind when I lived in Oklahoma back in 2004 timeframe, he had a C&R and mailed a gun to someone in OK without an FFL. ATF contacted him and really grilled the snot out of him, I guess the guy he mailed it to was "being questioned by PD for some illegal activities", my buddy almost lost his license because of it. I had just gotten my C&R like a month before it and saw the BS that he had to put up with and went through, so I always require my C&R sales to be FTF or license exchange if by mail. If you choose not to your choice, Im not messing around with it. Or as I like to say, "when you are dealing with firearms, you dont go to blue collar congical visits prison, you go to federal pound you in the A## prison".

I have had a C&R for around 5 years up to this point(let it lapse for like a yr) and it aint worth rolling the dice to me. But you can go for it if you want, your choice.

Colt-45
08-10-2010, 4:20 PM
I've had two bad flakes. One of them really sucked.

rkt88edmo
08-10-2010, 7:09 PM
flakes deserve neutral feedback, leave it for them.

Bongos
08-13-2010, 8:39 AM
How about the guys who will insult you over your asking price then days later ask you if it's still available for sale?

[/I]r?

Yep, had a couple of those and got my asking price.. the response was shoulda, coulda... the funny thing is, it was only $25 difference on a $1800 gun.. that retails for $2600 and very few are in CA