PDA

View Full Version : When did "Gun Free Zones" start?

SickofSoCal
08-05-2010, 6:21 PM
Educate me. When did they start? Which states? Who was behind it? Where were the first ones, schools?

Talk about an assault on Second Amendment rights! Soon there will "Gun Free Zones" on public sidewalks........errr let's hope not.

kf6tac
08-05-2010, 6:29 PM
I can't give you the comprehensive history, but what I do know is:

* The federal government created gun free school zones within 1000 feet of any public, private, or parochial school with the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990.

* California passed its gun free school zone law during the 1994 legislative session.

* The federal law came tumbling down in United States v. Lopez in 1995, the same year that the California law went into effect.

* Congress re-enacted the federal law in 1996 by adding a proviso that it only applied to firearms that had moved in or otherwise affected interstate commerce.

Dangerpin
08-05-2010, 6:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Failed in 1990 and eventually passed in 95.

Rossi357
08-05-2010, 6:33 PM
edit: dupe

SickofSoCal
08-05-2010, 6:37 PM
Thank you kf6tac and Dangerpin!

Sometimes I wish I had been born in the 1870's.......

http://www.reenactor.net/forums/tp-images/1uidredjacks.jpg

Mstrty
08-05-2010, 6:41 PM
Sacramento area 1986 I walked into my High School with a 30-06. Right down the hallway and into shop class. My welding teacher helped me clean up the action. Boy how times have changed.

dieselpower
08-05-2010, 6:45 PM
You are all wrong...

Original GFZ laws started in the 1850's.

The most notable violation occured Tombstone AZ. Which lead to the most notable cover-up of murders committed by LEO on a US citizens.

Towns allowed their Sheriffs to pass GFZ to "tame" them. Riders entering town had to lock up all firearms at the first hotel or stable they came to or continue through town without stopping.

N6ATF
08-05-2010, 6:45 PM
I would have thought criminals gained decisive control of the government far sooner than 1990, and passed laws to protect each other by disarming their victims.

Dangerpin
08-05-2010, 6:52 PM

But then you couldn't have ever owned one of these!

http://i35.tinypic.com/99ngw6.jpg

Now I just wish I had enjoyed the 80's and early 90's more.

lotar4life
08-05-2010, 7:07 PM

I sure hope that dude's not pushing the muzzle of that Winchester into DIRT!! Haha...

Yes, it would have been cool to have been alive then but it would hardly be novelty (for lack of a better term) to carry openly AND loaded since it was just what they did from a very young age. Not to mention, modern medicine has it's benefits. :chris:

dieselpower
08-05-2010, 7:27 PM

where carring a firearm in a GFZ got you and anyone with you, kicked, beat, spit on, then shot to death by LEO.

yeah the 1870s were a hoot..:eek:

dieselpower
08-05-2010, 7:35 PM
I sure hope that dude's not pushing the muzzle of that Winchester into DIRT!! Haha...

Yes, it would have been cool to have been alive then but it would hardly be novelty (for lack of a better term) to carry openly AND loaded since it was just what they did from a very young age. Not to mention, modern medicine has it's benefits. :chris:

Why do you people think OC was legal everywhere? It wasnt. It was only ALLOWED by small towns when it wasnt convenient to dis-arm everyone.

In places open to common travel and open ranges, sure, but inside a large Cities core financial and residential blocks...heck NO!

Dangerpin
08-05-2010, 8:03 PM
Why do you people think OC was legal everywhere? It wasnt. It was only ALLOWED by small towns when it wasnt convenient to dis-arm everyone.

In places open to common travel and open ranges, sure, but inside a large Cities core financial and residential blocks...heck NO!

Citation please.

I know that Alabama, Arkansas and Indiana had concealed carry laws prior to the Civil war and that after the war there were gun controls in the black codes meant to keep black militias and self protection groups from forming, but other than that the only control laws I am aware of were found IN the cow towns, not in the big cities. Other than that I was always taught that the the Sullivan Act in 1911 was the beginning of urban gun control and even that was focused on concealable weapons.

lotar4life
08-05-2010, 8:10 PM
Why do you people think OC was legal everywhere? It wasnt.

Well I don't remember saying that OC was legal everywhere. If I did, I certainly didn't mean to. But I didn't.

It was only ALLOWED by small towns when it wasnt convenient to dis-arm everyone. In places open to common travel and open ranges, sure, but inside a large Cities core financial and residential blocks...heck NO!

Please source this info. Because the 1870's were a long time ago and unless you're a historian of the old west or 140 years old...

:wacko:

Untamed1972
08-06-2010, 8:04 AM
Educate me. When did they start? Which states? Who was behind it? Where were the first ones, schools?

Talk about an assault on Second Amendment rights! Soon there will "Gun Free Zones" on public sidewalks........errr let's hope not.

I think Wyatt Earp started it back in the late 1800's

blacksheep
08-06-2010, 2:27 PM

People from that era of time would be ashamed of what we have become.:(

Phouty
08-06-2010, 3:14 PM
Sacramento area 1986 I walked into my High School with a 30-06. Right down the hallway and into shop class. My welding teacher helped me clean up the action. Boy how times have changed.
Yeah, they've changed!
Around same time in 86/87 my car was stolen from my driveway in Irvine. Few hours later PD called me back to pick it from local PD. Looked like a case o kids' 'joy ride', because nothing was damaged or stolen. I had only to identify my .38SPL Taurus revolver which I (then legally) had always carried in a glove box. Cop returning it to me "warned me" to carry it in non-threatening manner on a way out. So I walked with a gun held by the barrel in two fingers of outstretched arm. Like I was carrying a dead rat by its tail! No cop at the station even bothered to look at me:D
Try to do it today!:rolleyes: