PDA

View Full Version : Sights for my 1911 Springfield?

Gladdis.45
08-05-2010, 5:32 PM
I bought this firearm 2 years ago and have fed it ~200 rounds (i know, not that many!), and I cannot for the life of me sight this damn thing in. Im all over the place with it. When I got my Glock 22, straight outta the box, I was dialed in. REAL tight groups at 25 yds.

Can anyone put me onto some adjustable sights? Im looking to spend ~$100 on them. More if I have to. I love this damn gun and I dont want to get rid of it just because the sights dont work FOR ME. HELP.

Rob

uscbigdawg
08-05-2010, 5:40 PM
If you're not going to carry it concealed, get some STI or Champion adjustables. If you want to carry, Novak/Dawson makes a sweet set.

When you're ready to get them as well as have the slide cut for them (depending on what's there now), let me know and we'll get you squared away.

Rich

m16
08-08-2010, 8:11 AM
Which model?

Is your slide cut for GI sights or is it dovetailed?

Gladdis.45
08-09-2010, 2:44 PM
Dovetail. Took it out again yesterday and am more frustrated with it than before. Love the damn thing, but am having a heck of a time trying to zero it in. I only plan on carrying it if SHTF, other than that, its primarily my range/self protection gun.

Mac Attack
08-09-2010, 3:38 PM
Have you tried shooting it from the bench? Most people I know have no problem shooting decent groups with 1911's. Are you shooting factory or reloads? Are your sights loose? Are you jerking the tigger?...etc. A 1911 shoots differently than a Glock's safe action. Some shooters have a difficult time transitioning from a G to a 1911 due to the different triggers. I am not one of those people but I do experience a difference when I shoot my revolver DA then switch to my 1911's but after a few rounds through the 1911 I am back on target.

Oh yeah, I have Novaks front and rear on my carry 1911. But would like to try Heines slant pro's with a gold bead front big Ashley dot front.

Gladdis.45
08-10-2010, 3:00 PM
Yup, I've tried shooting that thing from every position, with no consistancy. I've pretty much gotten rid of any error on my part, just trying to zero the damn thing is hard. Thanks for the tips.

Black Majik
08-10-2010, 4:39 PM
If you're not getting any sort of consistent groups (high-right, low left, all left etc...) there's a good chance it may be you. Some guns fit us differently, you may just prefer the way a Glock shoots.

Adjustable sights have their advantages, but if you don't have any consistency on where your bullet lands you'll be even more frusterated than you are now chasing your zero.

While the GI sights are really tiny, try a trigger job as well. Springfield GIs have pretty heavy triggers which require some very smooth trigger discipline. That may help significantly, find out where your gun is grouping, then pick up a set of sights and sight in accordingly. Good luck.

Gladdis.45
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I dropped down to a 4lb trigger pull. That was the FIRST thing I noticed outta the box. That thing took an act of Congress to operate. Funny. Yeah, I think I gotta work on the zero a bit better and try some of the adjustables out there.

BamBam-31
08-11-2010, 1:57 AM
Let someone else shoot it, preferably someone who's known to be a good handgun shot. That, or shoot it w/ your wrists resting on sandbags. If it's still not grouping after that, something's wrong. Take advantage of Springfield's lifetime warranty and send it back. They'll do you right.

uscbigdawg
08-11-2010, 7:17 AM
If you're in NorCal, let's meet up at a range and I'll take a look at it.

Rich