PDA

View Full Version : I need help...Ran out of "Up" adjustments

Abourda
08-05-2010, 1:35 PM
Hey guys

I just went to sight in my new scope. I noticed that when I put the bore sighter on it, I ran out of the "Up" adjustment. I shot it anyways and at 100 yards, it's about 3-4" too low and I can't adjust any more.

Anyone have any suggestions? Scope rings size too big/small? Ring shims?

Simmons Aetec 4x14x44MM with Medium Leupold rings.

Thanks

shooting4life
08-05-2010, 1:56 PM
I hate to ask this but do you have the elevation nob at the top of the scope and the windage nob on the right? Seen this bethe cause of problems for someone in the past.

Youcouod try the Burris rings with the 10moa inserts.

Abourda
08-05-2010, 2:01 PM
Shooting4life

Thanks for your reply. That is correct. Elevation nob on top. Why has that been a problem? If I go with Burris rings, where do I place the inserts?

sargenv
08-05-2010, 2:01 PM
In the past, I've used "shims" cut from either aluminum cans or thin brass shims available at the hardware store.. you put that between the rear scope ring and the scope, and it gives you a bit more room for your elevation knob to work. Usually .020" will do it but sometimes more is needed. If you run out of "down" you would put it under the front of the scope between the scope and the bottom of the ring. I've also had occasion where the scope was moving under recoil. I used electrical tape attached to the scope within where the rings grip the scope to snug it up a bit.

Abourda
08-05-2010, 2:03 PM
Sarge

So in my case where would I shim?

j1133s
08-05-2010, 2:29 PM
Sarge

So in my case where would I shim?

I'm not sarge, but trig tells me to shim on the front.
But before you do that, try reversing the rings (front to back, back to front) and see.

socalblue
08-05-2010, 2:30 PM
What rifle & scope base? If using a 2 piece base it's possible in some cases to reverse the front & rear. Could also be a defect with how the barrel being out of alignment.

Fjold
08-05-2010, 3:47 PM
To get the point of impact to go up you put a shim under the rear scope mount.
You could also buy a 20MOA mount for your gun from EGW, Farrel, etc.

Or you can buy a set of Burris Z rings with the .020" inserts. You place the +.020" insert in the top of the front ring and -.020" insert in the bottom half of the front ring.

uscbigdawg
08-05-2010, 4:07 PM
If on a bolt rifle, make life easy and get a base with MOA built in to it. For instance, on my 700 SPS-V 308, to make life easy to go to 1000 yards, I use an EGW 20MOA base.

Rich

Abourda
08-05-2010, 4:16 PM
It's a Remington 700 ADL .308 with Leupold 2 piece bases with windage screw and Med rings. I had to remove the action from the stock after the season last year and after putting it all back together, my bolt wasn't closing. I took it to a gunsmith and he said it was torqued too much causing the bolt problem. He said he tightened to specks and everything seemed to work fine before I left him. I called him today asking him about barrel alignment and he said I'll need to shim. He also suggested to call Leupold and ask them what they think. They said the shim thing as well and they're sending me shims free of charge.

Something's definitely not right though. Why did it work before and not now with the same components? Could it be a defective scope?

Thanks for all the input so far...I think I'm going to take it all apart tonight and go step by step trying to reverse things and put it back together slowly to figure this dilemma out.

Abourda
08-05-2010, 9:24 PM
So I just got done taking the scope and bases off and reinstalling everything. No changes at all. Still not enough adjustment. The bases can not be switched front to back. The only thing that I did find was one of the base screws for the rear was smaller than the other. I played around to see if it would work better in the front or other holes...but it made no difference. I'm going to take it back to the gunsmith and see if there's a bedding issue or some sort of alignment issue. Otherwise, I'm just going to wait for the Leupold shims and see if I can get it to zero.

Fjold
08-06-2010, 6:04 AM
If you have longer screws in the front mount they might be going through the receiver to bind the front of the bolt

sargenv
08-06-2010, 6:31 AM
you put that between the rear scope ring and the scope, and it gives you a bit more room for your elevation knob to work.

Um... what are you trying to do? Do you need the gun to shoot higher or lower in relation to where your scope bottoms (tops) out? I found that I topped out and put the shim under the scope on the rings in back, if you bottom out, then the opposite, shims in front. Otherwise do as USCBD suggests.. a base that you can adjust.. I had to do this with the scope mount on my T/C contender.. I was forever adjusting that thing, but finally found zero after tinkering for several trips to the range, way back when..

45R
08-06-2010, 7:31 AM
If on a bolt rifle, make life easy and get a base with MOA built in to it. For instance, on my 700 SPS-V 308, to make life easy to go to 1000 yards, I use an EGW 20MOA base.

Rich

+1 Its a $20 investment.

NytWolf
08-06-2010, 1:16 PM
To get the point of impact to go up you put a shim under the rear scope mount.
You could also buy a 20MOA mount for your gun from EGW, Farrel, etc.

Or you can buy a set of Burris Z rings with the .020" inserts. You place the +.020" insert in the top of the front ring and -.020" insert in the bottom half of the front ring.

Shimming the top of any ring just makes the ring sit higher. Doesn't do anything for the scope-barrel angle.

Abourda
08-06-2010, 3:21 PM
Shimming the top of any ring just makes the ring sit higher. Doesn't do anything for the scope-barrel angle.

So just so I can understand, do you mean to not shim the front and just the back? Or are you saying that the barrel could be misaligned and I could have bigger problems?