View Full Version : another noob questio on selling guns - ownership

08-05-2010, 8:19 AM
want to clear out some spaces in my safe. I honestly forgot if some of the guns were under my name, my wife's name, or my parent's name.

if I sell it, do FFL (or state) even care whose name is the gun under ? I would hate to drag my wife out and then found out it was under my name instead of hers, or vice versa.

none of the guns are AW type weapon. and most are 15-25 years old.


08-05-2010, 9:13 AM
Nope you are GTG assuming buyer and seller are not prohibited.

08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
so there is no record as who the gun was registered to ? wow

is it after certain year ?

08-05-2010, 1:55 PM
If it's a long gun, I think only the FFL that sold/transferred it has a record of who owns it.

08-05-2010, 3:06 PM
another dumb question: if only that FFL has the record, why even bother with DROS ? as no one else has the record.

how about handgun ?

08-05-2010, 3:47 PM
what kind of guns do you have for sale?

08-05-2010, 4:16 PM
what kind of guns do you have for sale?

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

To the OP. I think you are fine to sell those firearms as long as you are not prohibited from owning or possessing guns. Just do the transfers with an FFL unless it's a rifle over 50 years old. You can cash and carry those.

08-05-2010, 4:57 PM
it is a general question. I have quite a few guns, both rifles and handguns. but none are 50 years + and none are AW type.

if only the original FFL has the record, then there really is no practical way of tracking ownership. then I don't understand the whole DROS thing.

08-05-2010, 5:26 PM
Because it's the law and we're law abiding citizens.
I have some guns from the 70s and 80s. Who is to say I didn't sell them to you in 1990?

08-05-2010, 9:35 PM
CA gun laws make alot of sense dont they :banghead:

Wicked Pete
08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I wish there was a way we (citizens) could run a serial number to see who it comes back to, or whether it had been reported stolen. I know LEO's can, but not for us. Anyone know a way?