PDA

View Full Version : buying a new gun - do you ever accept a shelf model ?

Tim Leese
08-05-2010, 9:07 AM
So I was at a gun shop and I wanted to buy a Ruger Mini 30. They showed me the one that was on their shelf. I decided to buy it but I said to the salesman "I would like a new one, still in the box, not the show model that the public has handled".

He told me that they only had this one in stock and I would have to wait for maybe a few weeks if I wanted a new one in the box.

Is this normal ? I really dont want a gun that maybe hundreds of yahoos have handled and messed with.

Black Majik
08-05-2010, 9:15 AM
I've purchased shelf models, most of the small mom and pop stores only have shelf models to buy.

The stores with inventory in the warehouse such as Turners, if it's a shelf model I'll ask for a discount (usually get 5%). Polymer guns and most rifles I don't mind buying the shelf model. I won't purchase a shelf model 1911 though, thinking of all the yahoos dropping the slide on an empty chamber, finger F'ing the safety and all the wear on the magwell from repeated entry of the magazine, I pass.

Someguy925
08-05-2010, 9:16 AM
It's really your call.

For example, if it was a TV that was a display model, then I wouldn't go for it or at least get it for a discount at least.

I don't think it is much of an issues for guns though. I'd go for it. Ask for a small discount.

Barabas
08-05-2010, 9:18 AM
The only firearms I've bought NIB were .22's (AR's count as .22's right?) and one 1911, everything else has been second hand. I don't worry about shop wear, it's likely less damaging than what some of my milsurps and parts kits have been through.

leelaw
08-05-2010, 9:23 AM
I've bought used and floor model guns before, and haven't experienced a higher failure rate by the floor models compared to the NIB ones.

Rule .308
08-05-2010, 9:30 AM
It really depends upon the model for me. If I was buying a high end $1,000.00 1911, well then no I would not accept the display model. Now the Hawk 982 shotgun I just bought from Big 5, it was the shelf model. Inspect it carefully, if all appears to be well and good then buy it. A Mini 30, so long as it was all there and there were no dents, dings, scratches, etc, then buy it. This advice goes for every gun you purchase. I have purchased handguns sight unseen, actual pistol was at the local Turner's warehouse, when I went to pick it up I scrutinized it heavily BEFORE I signed on the line for it. Was a good thing too because there was a scratch in the finish on the cylinder so they changed my DROS to reflect the new/different serial number and I took home a different pistol that was in perfect condition. So, make sure you do that for everything you buy that is like that, especially firearms, because once you bought it, you got it.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-05-2010, 9:34 AM
it depends how long it was on display and how much play is in the action.

nmerced
08-05-2010, 9:56 AM
If the store also has a range, nooooooo. Otherwise, I'd ask for a discount.

shooting4life
08-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I'll ask for a discount on a new one in the packaging in the back. I like deals so I will only buy used. The best part about used guns is that you can usually sell them in a year ir two if you change your mind for what you paid for them. Very hard to do that with new guns.

incredablehefey
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
last time i purchased a display gun it was because someone had dropped it on another gun and messed up the rear sights as well as scratching the crud out of the entire gun... so needless to say the store was having a difficult time selling this gun. The stainless ruger 22-22mag revolver had been on the shelf for over a month and on the second trip out there i asked how much really for the gun and the manager replied something like 1% over cost. So i was almost hooked at that point but i wanted to know what that meant and when he told me how much of a price difference there was i purchased it.

When i got it home i took some green pad to the entire gun and removed all of the scratches and replaced the rear sight for $14. The gun is a great shooter and it has tons of character.

robcoe
08-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Depends on the gun, most rugers I would have no problem buying a shelf model, same with a CZ or Beretta. My only problem with a display gun would be with a rimfire, its probably had way to much dry fireing.

TurboChrisB
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
As long as it looks good and feels good....AND as mmerced said, the store doesn't have a range, I see no reason not too.

Barbarossa
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
They are tools.

Do you tell the guy at orchard you want a shovel NIB? :D

TurboChrisB
08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
You mean you don't? Hahha, but seriously.....I don't buy the "there just tools" line...do you belong to any shovel fourms?

shooting4life
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I have zero guns that I would consider tools and have many guns that I consider as part of my collection/hobby. Sure I have some guns for self defense, but they were not purchased for that sole purpose.
Guns are a big part of my life. Besides my wife and my family they are what I cherish and enjoy the most. They are not the same as a shovel or leaf blower to me.

j1133s
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
So I was at a gun shop and I wanted to buy a Ruger Mini 30. They showed me the one that was on their shelf. I decided to buy it but I said to the salesman "I would like a new one, still in the box, not the show model that the public has handled".

He told me that they only had this one in stock and I would have to wait for maybe a few weeks if I wanted a new one in the box.

Is this normal ? I really dont want a gun that maybe hundreds of yahoos have handled and messed with.

Usually you get a discount for buying a display model.

Rob454
08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Unless the gun looks like someone took a torch to it I don't care I would ask for a discount if it was scratched up or a shelf model but a scratch won't stop me from a purchase in fact I prefer used guns cause Usually it means they can be bight cheaper and sometimes come with accessories or package with ammo etc
granted the price needs to be cheaper than the store but if the gun is in new condition comes with extras and looks lnib then I have no problem buying it
granted I'm not gonna pay bnib price for something well used but if it's like bnib I'm willing to pay if the price is right

Donny1
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I bought a Marlin 795 on sale from Turners and the only one they had was the one on the rack. I looked it over pretty good and decided to take it. After I picked it up I noticed a very minor scratch on the top of the barrel, not bad and not all the way through the finish. He told me it was the only one the had anywhere, warehouse, other stores, etc. I think he lied to me to move that one because two days later they had 60 in the warehouse. After the first trip out while cleaning I noticed the firing pin was slightly bent. It's in a long channel that supports it well and has not issues, works flawless. But I wonder if it's from dry firing.

http://www.2020designs.com/marlin/pin2.jpg

It's hard to complain about a $109 rifle.

Sam
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Nope, even with Mosins at Big 5 I ask to see a few to pick out the best one.

shooting4life
08-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I always ask for a discount at big 5 because the mosins are old stock and not the latest model and they look like they have been fired. Also some idiot that built the rifle does not know his numbers because they are different on all the pieces. Definatly ask for 20% off because of the above.

patriot_man
08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I bought a Marlin 795 on sale from Turners and the only one they had was the one on the rack. I looked it over pretty good and decided to take it. After I picked it up I noticed a very minor scratch on the top of the barrel, not bad and not all the way through the finish. He told me it was the only one the had anywhere, warehouse, other stores, etc. I think he lied to me to move that one because two days later they had 60 in the warehouse. After the first trip out while cleaning I noticed the firing pin was slightly bent. It's in a long channel that supports it well and has not issues, works flawless. But I wonder if it's from dry firing.

http://www.2020designs.com/marlin/pin2.jpg

It's hard to complain about a $109 rifle.

yeah you definitely don't want to be dry firing .22s

Barabas
08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I always ask for a discount at big 5 because the mosins are old stock and not the latest model and they look like they have been fired. Also some idiot that built the rifle does not know his numbers because they are different on all the pieces. Definatly ask for 20% off because of the above.

Do you ever feel shame while taking advantage of someone who doesn't know any better? :D I love Big 5. Their prices are definitely negotiable. I've bought magazines for the Marlins from them for less than wholesale cost before.

joedogboy
08-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Most gun stores do not have a backstock of most of the guns that they sell.

When you buy a car, do you want the actual vehicle you test drove - even though it has been slightly used - or are you going to trust to a random car off the lot?

Personally, I would rather purchase the gun I have handled than purchase a gun in a box that I have never seen - although I have done both (generally at CMP and Big 5).

If a store has a bunch of surplus rifles, it is worth taking the time to look through them, as the amount of wear and tear may vary significantly.

Futrellkm
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I love Big 5. Their prices are definitely negotiable.

This. I've bought a Rem 870 and a Mosin M44 from Big 5. For the 870, the price went up by the time i went back to purchase it, so they gave me an old sale price from about 3 months earlier. Same with the M44, they had a sale on the 91/30's, but I asked about the M44 going on sale and they sold it to me for the sale price. Just talk to the guys a bit and make it sound like you're not interested until the price goes down, and soon enough a manager will be over there wheeling and dealing.

tacticalcity
08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Often times buying the boxed one is more risky. The floor model has been assembled and had its action tested and so forth. You can handle it, look it over, and confirm the eact condition (with the exception of some of the internals like the firing pin). The boxed up one could have flaws to the finish or worse all hidden by the packaging. Sure, you could insist upon opening it up and inspecting it. But if you back out, not the dealer is left with an open box item. Some of that packaging and padding doesn't want to go back on once taken off.

j1133s
08-05-2010, 2:45 PM
Often times buying the boxed one is more risky. The floor model has been assembled and had its action tested and so forth. You can handle it, look it over, and confirm the eact condition (with the exception of some of the internals like the firing pin). The boxed up one could have flaws to the finish or worse all hidden by the packaging. Sure, you could insist upon opening it up and inspecting it. But if you back out, not the dealer is left with an open box item. Some of that packaging and padding doesn't want to go back on once taken off.

What? What are you talking about? You've got to do things differently in the future.

If it's at a FTF shop, then you always unbox any firearm to examine before purchase because its got to be unboxed anyway for serial number. Nobody's going to go w/ the # on the box. Depending on the firearm, it also isn't unusual to ask to see a few and pick the best looking one.

The above will not make a firearm into an OPEN BOX item. It'll still be sold normally. I've never heard any dealer shipping out an UNOPENED box firearm in all my years.

Even mail ordering, sometimes it isn't unusual to ask for a hand picked piece.

Tanner68
08-05-2010, 4:11 PM
What? What are you talking about? You've got to do things differently in the future.

If it's at a FTF shop, then you always unbox any firearm to examine before purchase because its got to be unboxed anyway for serial number. Nobody's going to go w/ the # on the box. Depending on the firearm, it also isn't unusual to ask to see a few and pick the best looking one.

The above will not make a firearm into an OPEN BOX item. It'll still be sold normally. I've never heard any dealer shipping out an UNOPENED box firearm in all my years.

Even mail ordering, sometimes it isn't unusual to ask for a hand picked piece.

As for a dealer shipping an unopened box, that has been the case for me with Gallery of Guns and Gun Genie. The guns arrive at my FFL with original seals intact. With the last Glock I bought, I took a knife to the sticker on the handle.

GunNutz
08-05-2010, 5:54 PM
Doesn't bother me as long as it's not scratched or damaged in any way and the original box/case comes with it.

Hayashi Killian
08-05-2010, 6:56 PM
I bought my Mosin as a floor model from Big5, simply because the one they had in back was in such crappy condition. I asked if it was possible for a discount and they said no, sadly.

Gallows
08-05-2010, 8:48 PM
Yes, every single time.

johnthomas
08-05-2010, 9:09 PM
They are tools.

Do you tell the guy at orchard you want a shovel NIB? :D

No it's not, it's a toy, how many on this forum use weapons as tools?
I have bought display models, always ask for a discount, If they don't want to give you one, go somewhere else.

Dingotech
08-05-2010, 9:20 PM
Bargain in a box of ammo and a couple of fluffers.

jptsr1
08-05-2010, 9:28 PM
wow, i never thought of this until now. last 4 guns i bought have been right off the shelf. never thought to ask for one that hasn't been handled. never had a problem though but still something to think about next time.

LouDog
08-05-2010, 9:38 PM
When u bouht my g17 I asked for a non shelf gun but they said the display model was all they had in stock, and that they only ordered a new one after they sold it. This was at target masters milpitas.

capitol
08-05-2010, 9:48 PM
hmm ok guys