PDA

View Full Version : ATF letter to Colt

Dieseldog
08-05-2010, 1:20 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the letter ATF sent to Colt about using FA BCG's in AR's? It was addressed to Carlton S. Chen at Colt and written by Sterling Nixon form ATF's FTB. I know what the letter says. I'm looking for a photo copy of it.

Thanks.

lomalinda
08-05-2010, 5:37 AM
U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
Firearms and Explosives
[stamp] FEB 10 2005

903050:RV
3311/2005-167
www.atf.gov

[stamp] Received FEB 14 2005
Legal Department

Mr. Carlton S. Chen
Colt Defense LLC
547 New Park Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06110

Dear Mr. Chen:

This is in reference to your most recent facsimile transmitted to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), on January 13, 2005. In your faxed letter, you seek clarification regarding the use of M16 machinegun bolt carriers in AR-15 type weapons.

As you are aware, since your provision of copies of relevant material in your previous faxes, ATF has previously addressed the use of M16 machinegun fire-control components in AR-15 type rifles in the General Information section of the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P 5300.4). (Please refer to page 115, item #3, “Important Information Concerning AR-15 Type Rifles.”)

However, we would like to direct your attention to a particular paragraph of item #3, which states the following:

In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16 hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration.

Accordingly, based on previous FTB recommendations not to install this bolt carrier and the conclusions presented in the passage cited above, our Branch cannot specifically authorize you to install an M16 bolt carrier into an AR15 rifle. Also, we cannot definitively tell you that installing an M16 bolt carrier in an AR 15 will make that firearm fire automatically.

-2-

Mr. Carlton S. Chen

We can only inform you that if this installation were to create a firearm that fires automatically, it would be a machinegun as defined; conversely, if it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to posses and make.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]

Sterling Nixon
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Wherryj
08-05-2010, 9:09 AM
Wow, you have to love the ATF. On the main page of the site as the first "story" is the warning that "Illegal explosives are not fireworks."

Does that imply that if you local community bans fireworks that you will be charged with possession of a bomb?

bohoki
08-05-2010, 2:39 PM
lots of doublespeak

so basically you can use the carrier but they don't want you to

gun toting monkeyboy
08-05-2010, 3:01 PM
No. They don't care. The BCG is not one of the parts that they consider essential to making a full auto weapon. However, having any of the other parts for a full-auto fire control group CAN potentially lead to a constructive possesion charge. So no sears, selectors, triggers or things like that from a FA fire control group in your possesion at all if you have an AR. Even one that isn't drilled for the extra pin. The BCG is a non-issue though.

Theseus
08-08-2010, 3:46 PM
Yup. Looks to me like they are simply saying, "we can't tell you that you can or can't other than to say, if that part makes it an automatic, it is illegal, if it doesn't, it's not."

bwiese
08-08-2010, 4:10 PM
Colt has shipped tens of thousands of ARs into CA with FA BCGs due to ths - either as guns that became registerable/registered AWs due to SB23, were registered by DOJ as AWs per MAWP or LEO AW registration, etc. Plus there's all the OLL guns in the last 4 years...

Many of these guns were sold by CA FFLs and CA FFLs are in essence an agent of the DOJ. The DOJ cannot with its left hand cause an issue yet with its right hand (its supervised FFL "agent" base, the only official DOJ point of contact with gun buying citzenry) have sold these guns.

jimh
08-08-2010, 8:51 PM
Colt has shipped tens of thousands of ARs into CA with FA BCGs due to ths - either as guns that became registerable/registered AWs due to SB23, were registered by DOJ as AWs per MAWP or LEO AW registration, etc. Plus there's all the OLL guns in the last 4 years...

Many of these guns were sold by CA FFLs and CA FFLs are in essence an agent of the DOJ. The DOJ cannot with its left hand cause an issue yet with its right hand (its supervised FFL "agent" base, the only official DOJ point of contact with gun buying citzenry) have sold these guns.

If you built an colt upper w/ a oll would that be an issue in ca?

Munk
08-08-2010, 9:00 PM
Google images, first hit. I like the second letter.

I should thank lomalinda for including the text of the letter. The header identifier made the search very easy (903050:RV) Enjoy them while they're attached, i don't know how long the forums maintain these attachments.

Sgt Raven
08-08-2010, 9:03 PM
If you built an colt upper w/ a oll would that be an issue in ca?

No. Also Noveske, LaRue Tactical, and Daniel Defense all use M16 spec BCGs in their uppers and Rifles. Those are ones I can name off the top of my head, there are many others who also use M16 spec BCGs.

Dieseldog
08-09-2010, 8:44 AM
Thanks Munk. Those were the copies i was looking for.

MossbergMan
08-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow, you have to love the ATF. On the main page of the site as the first "story" is the warning that "Illegal explosives are not fireworks."

Does that imply that if you local community bans fireworks that you will be charged with possession of a bomb?

There is a specific quanity of explosive compound that makes a "firework" an explosive or destructive device. So to answer your question, in certain circumstances, yes.

As an Arson Investigator in southern California my Bureau prosecuted two young adults for possession and use of destructive devices (felonies). Their crime: Blowing up mail boxes with....M-80's. Seems the US Postal Service tacked on some charges too, sadly I cannot remember their sentence.

And unless you are a professional Pyro-technician don't play with explosives. Too many missing fingers, hands and eyes injured every year from people playing with "fireworks". I have no sympathy for those folks. Darwin-ism for sure. And if you are a parent and let your kids play with these things...well you're part of the problem.