PDA

View Full Version : South Bay Open Carry on LA NBC - The Filter

hgreen
08-04-2010, 9:17 PM
I went on NBC LA tonight to stand up for our rights and dispel the gun control myths.

Check it out:
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/shows/the-filter/_When_s_the_last_time_you_went_to_the_beach_and_ne eded_an_assault_rifle___Los_Angeles.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwWdQ_j_26k

NotEnoughGuns
08-04-2010, 9:33 PM
I'm glad you got the the last word in with an effective point.

ECVMatt
08-04-2010, 9:43 PM
I live in HB and am not a big fan of the open carry thing, however you did a great job! Up in my neck of the woods (Aviation and Prospect) you turned some of my on the fence neighbors against guns, which I don't think is very positive for our overall position, but I feel if they watched this segment they might better understand your base reasoning for OC. Good Job and Good Luck.

TURBOELKY
08-04-2010, 9:52 PM
Good job man, fat boy is a douche. They need to just go ahead and start issuing CCW's if they want to ban open carry. You did great. Also, I seriously doubt that anybody was carrying an "assault weapon" to the beach, rather an appropriately configured long gun.:cool2:

hgreen
08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I live in HB and am not a big fan of the open carry thing, however you did a great job! Up in my neck of the woods (Aviation and Prospect) you turned some of my on the fence neighbors against guns, which I don't think is very positive for our overall position, but I feel if they watched this segment they might better understand your base reasoning for OC. Good Job and Good Luck.

Hearing of the recent armed robberies within 3 blocks of my house in supposedly safe and rich hermosa beach gives me even more reason to fight for our rights to be armed in public. Last thing I want is to be at ralphs next time without my side arm and have those armed thugs roll up. I'd feel awful if someone got hurt because I was too scared to open carry in CA.

Do your friends think the police can be everywhere all the time and that nothing bad will ever happen to them or their loved ones? What's the cheapest and most effective insurance policy you can get? Your firearm.

Wherryj
08-05-2010, 2:21 PM
I went on NBC LA tonight to stand up for our rights and dispel the gun control myths.

Check it out:
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/shows/the-filter/_When_s_the_last_time_you_went_to_the_beach_and_ne eded_an_assault_rifle___Los_Angeles.html

"When's the last time you went to the beach and needed an assault rifle?" Isn't that a bad sign when the "investigation" starts with a misleading title?

Wherryj
08-05-2010, 2:24 PM
"When the police show up at the beach because these guys are carrying assault weapons"...

Aren't these members carrying non-list ARs, thus not assault weapons?

Jumping into gang members open carrying? Sure, marginalize law abiding citizens by comparing them to gang members. If gang members want to drive a Lexus, should we ban those?

ECVMatt
08-05-2010, 2:26 PM
I was trying to support your position, not attack you. For you to suggest that innocent people would be hurt because I am afraid to carry a gun is absurd. Also to argue from a point of fear is not a good position. It makes you appear paranoid or unusually timid. Especially trying to argue that HB is so dangerous; you are better off just telling folks that OC is your right and you are exercising it rather than trying to justify it by fear of criminals.

Again, I support your dedication, but still do not agree on the method you have chosen. This is America, so it is OK to disagree. You have also pushed some folks that were basically supporters to the other side of the issue. To try and tell them to live in fear at Hermosa is not going to fly. Hermosa is a safe city. Robberies on PCH have been happening for years and will continue to happen. Trying to use fear to convert people will not work here and does not help the cause of gun ownership.

Again I wish you luck in your endeavors and would hope the you would not be so defensive of constructive criticism.

hgreen
08-05-2010, 2:40 PM
I was trying to support your position, not attack you. For you to suggest that innocent people would be hurt because I am afraid to carry a gun is absurd. Also to argue from a point of fear is not a good position. It makes you appear paranoid or unusually timid. Especially trying to argue that HB is so dangerous; you are better off just telling folks that OC is your right and you are exercising it rather than trying to justify it by fear of criminals.

Again, I support your dedication, but still do not agree on the method you have chosen. This is America, so it is OK to disagree. You have also pushed some folks that were basically supporters to the other side of the issue. To try and tell them to live in fear at Hermosa is not going to fly. Hermosa is a safe city. Robberies on PCH have been happening for years and will continue to happen. Trying to use fear to convert people will not work here and does not help the cause of gun ownership.

Again I wish you luck in your endeavors and would hope the you would not be so defensive of constructive criticism.

Wow, sorry did not mean that as a defensive counter argument. I am really curious what they think to justify banning people from carrying firearms for self defense when cases present themselves in their immediate neighborhood that would warrant such actions.

I argue many points to support our position. "Fear" is not the main focus, but since a very recent and very immediate threat posed itself two days ago I used it. If you read www.southbayopencarry.org you'll find most of the points there are about public safety and civil rights. Not fear.

Maestro Pistolero
08-05-2010, 2:44 PM
Excellent job. One point that drives me crazy that Saldana and these Bradiots make repeatedly, is to intentionally distort and confuse the scope of the Heller and McDonald cases, which is the home, with the scope of the right itself which is only limited by a perons criminal or mental background, and only exempted in narrowly defined, sensitive places.

Vtec44
08-05-2010, 2:57 PM
The Brady people are trying to spread a lie. Heller vs DC stated "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." It does not state "self-defense only within the home".

bodger
08-05-2010, 3:38 PM
"Do you think the citizens of Los Angeles want gang members carrying guns on the street?"

Good Gawd.

To even insinuate that the current legality of UOC has any effect on how many gang members carry firearms is beyond absurd.

Makes me want to shout at the guy and tell him that gangstas carry concealed and loaded and they aren't going to stop that no matter how many laws get passed that thwart the ability of law abiding citizens to protect themselves.

Nice job Mr. Green.

Roadrunner
08-06-2010, 7:09 AM

Check it out:

I appreciate you going on TV to defend the 2A. One problem though, you interrupted your opponent when he was talking. I understand you disagreed with him, but I couldn't make out a lot of what you were saying because you and doctor what's his name were talking at the same time.

hgreen
08-06-2010, 7:25 AM
I appreciate you going on TV to defend the 2A. One problem though, you interrupted your opponent when he was talking. I understand you disagreed with him, but I couldn't make out a lot of what you were saying because you and doctor what's his name were talking at the same time.

People have said this a lot. If you look at other video clips from this show you will see that is the format they like. The producers told us ahead of time that they expected that.
Plus I don't want any lies getting out when there is only 3 minutes total for the clip.

bigcalidave
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey, That was a good little interview. Great last statement, Brady rep had nothing to respond to that one.

2009_gunner
08-06-2010, 11:07 AM
The Brady people are trying to spread a lie. Heller vs DC stated "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." It does not state "self-defense only within the home".

Yep. Heller went into a lot of detail as to how the 2nd Amendment means keep AND bear. But the ruling only covered keep (because that was all Gura asked for), so Scalia gave us a tremendous foothold for a followup bear case....

That is why I have my sig line.

Great interview. The Brady guy was put in his place quite nicely.

wheels
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
People have said this a lot. If you look at other video clips from this show you will see that is the format they like. The producers told us ahead of time that they expected that.
Plus I don't want any lies getting out when there is only 3 minutes total for the clip.

Maybe next time bring a little flag with the letters BS on it. Every time the Brady/LCAV tell a lie raise the BS flag.

You did well putting out the information, we probably can't convince the sheep that will listen to the BS spread by the anti's - but if we don't try...:(

Window_Seat
08-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I am one who is critical of the OC movement here in CA because I knew that it would lead to 1934, but I am also glad to see interviews like this. I'm all for stopping 1934 in its tracks, but if it passes, it could lead to some of the "unintended consequences" that will be worth a good :laugh:...

Erik.

bodger
08-06-2010, 12:35 PM

I think a lot of them are trying to emulate some of the shows on Fox and other similar formats. I've seen three people at once shouting on those shows and just turned the damn thing off.

I get your point though about not letting this creep spew lies when there is hardly any time for rebuttal.

Guys like this prove how gullible the antis really are. They'll go along with anything that is anti gun, whether it's factual or not.

MudCamper
08-06-2010, 1:38 PM
Three points.

One, no California Open Carriers have ever carried assault weapons. The Brady guy kept throwing that word around to exaggerate and confuse the issues.

Two, don't interrupt the guy. He is spewing lies, but you have to let him finish before you correct him. Otherwise you just come off rude and amateurish.

Three, he kept asking if you want gang members to open carry. In the future point out that there actually are laws on the books in California that make carrying both a firearm and ammo a crime if you are a gang member or committing gang crimes, regardless whether you are a prohibited person or not.

Roadrunner
08-06-2010, 3:19 PM

I think we should do the unexpected. I'm not a big fan of Jerry Springer, so if that's the case, I think I would simply avoid a show like that and go with someone like FOX news where they actually control the conversation, but that's just me.

Ending on a positive note, thank you for the effort.