PDA

View Full Version : Dual residency question about out of state purchase

cannon
08-04-2010, 8:58 PM
My friend asked me a question I can't answer so I'm tossing it out to you all.

My friend rents vacation property in AZ. He also has an AZ. I.D. he bought a pistol there and asked me if he could bring in to CA.

So what's the verdict?

Capt_Communist
08-05-2010, 6:52 AM
Yes he can... providing it's not some uber-crazy flame throwing-blaster-ray gun he's fine.

cannon
08-05-2010, 7:43 AM
Yes he can... providing it's not some uber-crazy flame throwing-blaster-ray gun he's fine.

LOL! I think it's some tupperware thing.

troysland
08-05-2010, 8:15 AM
He can buy any gun in Arizona and bring it in to CA. He does have 60 or 90 days, not sure, to pay the CADOJ $19 and submit paperwork once the gun enters the state, so the state knows it's in CA. But burden of proof still lies within the State. That's the best way to thumb your nose at the stupid Roster for approved handguns. This is how many of us obtain those highly desirable off-roster handguns.

Purple K
08-05-2010, 1:04 PM
Make sure that he only brings neutered magazines into California unless he somehow owned them in California before the ban.

CSDGuy
08-05-2010, 1:08 PM
Also, he has to actually BE an Arizona resident at the time he buys the handgun. He can't just be a visitor... otherwise, we ALL could just visit Arizona, be considered a "resident" and bring back all kinds of non-AW non-rostered handguns.

stitchnicklas
08-05-2010, 2:07 PM
what about people that own residences in both cali and az,whos to say they don't spend 6.5 months a year in az so are a az resident too??

troysland
08-05-2010, 2:22 PM
As long as you have a valid AZ ID/DL, you're G2G. I think an Arizona handgun purchase takes about 5-8 minutes from the time you say "I'll take it" to the time you can walk out of the store with it. Must be nice to live in America!

kermit315
08-05-2010, 3:47 PM
well, since this thread is already going, I might as well put my question in also.

I am in the military. I am an Illinois resident, maintain an address their, have my cars registered there, DL from there, and maintain my FOID. That being said, I am also a resident of the state of Florida as far as being stationed here.

So, since, according to the law and the military I am a resident of both states, can I buy firearms in either? I know I can in Florida courtesy of my PCS orders, but I wonder if I can buy stuff when I am home on leave? I would say yes, but who knows with this country's laws.

Massan
08-05-2010, 3:50 PM
well, since this thread is already going, I might as well put my question in also.

I am in the military. I am an Illinois resident, maintain an address their, have my cars registered there, DL from there, and maintain my FOID. That being said, I am also a resident of the state of Florida as far as being stationed here.

So, since, according to the law and the military I am a resident of both states, can I buy firearms in either? I know I can in Florida courtesy of my PCS orders, but I wonder if I can buy stuff when I am home on leave? I would say yes, but who knows with this country's laws.

I second that, cept for me its VA and CA(stationed). Great way to pick up some stuff next time I'm on leave...