PDA

View Full Version : CCW while traveling

77bawls
08-04-2010, 9:57 PM
I'm going to be traveling next month that may include every state west of the mississippi except for Oregon and Washington. What are the states I can ccw while in the car? Opencarry.org has a map of states that you can open carry in the vehicle but I was wondering if I can carry on my person.

Quiet
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
If you do not have a valid CCW permit, the only states you can legally CCW in without a permit is:
Vermont
Alaska
Arizona

cmth
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html

Map of state laws regarding having a loaded handgun in a car. Red states require a CCW to have a loaded gun in a car. Other colors denote specific requirements. Note that Arizona should be a "gold" state now, since you do not need a CCW to carry concealed in that state in any longer

77bawls
08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
If you do not have a valid CCW permit, the only states you can legally CCW in without a permit is:
Vermont
Alaska
Arizona

I'm talking about in the car.

So the Yellow states you can carry it concealed in your jacket as long as you are in your car, and you don't need to be a resident of that state?

And it says Texas must be concealed. So in that case it can be concealed in the glove box or on me? And Arkansas says it can be openly carried while traveling, so does that mean it must be carried in the open?

And then the orange states say it must be in the open but it doesn't say anything about being loaded or unloaded. Since CA is the only state that doesn't allow loaded open carry is it safe to assume all the other orange states allow loc?

cmth
08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
California does allow loaded open carry. It just doesn't allow it in incorporated cities or prohibited areas of unincorporated territory.

Generally, the "gold" states have no restrictions on open carry, or carrying concealed in a vehicle, but there may be variances among them. Many states consider your car to be the same as your house, so you may carry loaded and concealed there without asking permission. I believe Texas does allow you to carry loaded in your car, but it must be concealed. At least that was the situation before Texas had CCW permits, and you could not carry outside of your house or your vehicle. It would be best to research those states more thoroughly elsewhere.

You can click on each individual state for more info on that state. If you are unsure of the exact law, you should research the laws on each state you are unsure of, as the information provided on that map is not legal advice and only a brief outline of the general situation.

pitchbaby
08-04-2010, 11:39 PM
You probably don't have time to do it by the looks of your original comment, but it is much easier to just get a Utah carry permit if you get no others. It's good for more than 30 states I believe.

77bawls
08-04-2010, 11:43 PM
I might be able to get one in Minnesota when I'm there, I'll have to see.