PDA

View Full Version : Any gun-friendly optometrists in San Diego?

Rivers
08-04-2010, 6:44 PM
I know I'm going to regret this but my brother keeps commenting how his regular eyeglass prescription doesn't work well for shooting. So I'm looking for an optometrist who understands the issues involved when using gun sights. Unfortunately, once he can actually see what he's shooting at (both sights plus the target), the race between us is on again! San Diego / La Jolla area please.

SDJim
08-05-2010, 6:30 AM
I know I'm going to regret this but my brother keeps commenting how his regular eyeglass prescription doesn't work well for shooting. So I'm looking for an optometrist who understands the issues involved when using gun sights. Unfortunately, once he can actually see what he's shooting at (both sights plus the target), the race between us is on again! San Diego / La Jolla area please.

Google Norman Wong, OD and Bullseye shooting. He's written several articles concerning this very issue and provides guidance on now to explain to a non-shooting optometrist what your looking to do.

In one of the articles he's written, he explains why its physically imposible to do what your brother wants to do. As fantastic of an optical device the human eye is, it is incapable of focusing at diffrent planes at the same time.

As a bullseye shooter, at 25 and 50 yards, your focal point is the front sight. Concentrate on keeping it in focus and everything else is a little blurry.

SReagle
08-05-2010, 6:47 AM
shooting a rifle or pistol ???
shooting a rifle with eyeglasses can be done with a scope as your eyes/ glasses will focus with a magnified lens and your eyes with glasses will see just fine.
with a pistol it's a little tricky, but if you can hold a pistol steady with practice you can sight in using the pistols sights then sight in the target with reasonable accuracy, however I do not believe with a pistol and no optics you would be able to compete with someone that dose not have to wear glasses, with that said I can easily hit within a 6" circle 90% of the time with my p-85 9mm at 7yds, and for me thats good enough, with a rifle and a scope (I use a 2-7x30) and usealy keep it on 2x power and can keep the bullets in a 6" circle at 100yds.
Good luck

Rivers
08-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I appreciate the tips so far. It's funny that my (older) bro harps on me because (at age 55) I struggle with reading newsprint closer than 18" but my vision is sharp at all distances beyond that. He went to glasses about 15-20 years ago and is pretty dependent upon them for really sharp vision at any distance. We're both shooting rifles and pistols, the latter without optics.

I wonder if contact lenses might help (be more effective) than glasses. He's reluctant to even consider contacts due to the high maintenance reputation they had from 20 years ago. My thoughts are to at least check them out to see if advancements have resolved those comfort and safety (infections, bacteria, etc.) issues. Any thoughts on that?

Maltese Falcon
08-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I wonder if contact lenses might help (be more effective) than glasses. He's reluctant to even consider contacts due to the high maintenance reputation they had from 20 years ago. My thoughts are to at least check them out to see if advancements have resolved those comfort and safety (infections, bacteria, etc.) issues. Any thoughts on that?

I have been using contacts since I was 15 (I am now 53) and yes they are very much changed. You can get them with prescriptions for astigmatism as well. I would highly recommend them for any sport related activity. They take a bit of getting used to if you have never had them, but after awhile, it's no biggie.

As long as you clean and change them regularly, you should have no problems. The cleaning / storage process is also much simplified with single solution for both.