PDA

View Full Version : DoJ and their "memo's"

pnkssbtz
08-04-2010, 3:03 PM
So, I just scheduled with the CHP an appointment to pick up my firearms with my LEGR that I just got back.

The officer told me that due to Cal DoJ memo, they cannot return my ammunition the same day I pick up my firearms. I asked him if he could cite the penal code that states this and he told me he could not because it was a DoJ Memo and not in the penal code.

I asked if he could provide me a copy of the memo when I go to pick up my firearms and he said he would.

Is this another one of the DoJ underground memos? Requiring me to go on two separate days to pick up my property is rather ridiculous...

OleCuss
08-04-2010, 3:18 PM
I agree with the "ridiculous" statement.

I'd bet that the logic is that if you don't have the ammo you can't receive the weapon and immediately load it and shoot the LEO who just gave you the firearm.

Kinda ridiculous, though, since you could have just stopped at your friendly gun shop and picked up a box or two of ammo and maybe magazines (if appropriate) and simply loaded up anyway.

At least you're getting your firearms back. That's good news!

wash
08-04-2010, 3:20 PM
If you want to make them think for a while, ask for the ammo back first...

G17GUY
08-04-2010, 3:24 PM

or walk up like this

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:nja3QxN9YPtb8M:http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o90/balloon-artistry/balloon%20artistry%20B/BulletBelt.jpg&t=1

bodger
08-04-2010, 3:24 PM

:rofl2::rofl2:

pnkssbtz
08-04-2010, 3:27 PM

I'd rather have the firearms back over the ammunition.

bodger
08-04-2010, 3:30 PM
I'd rather have the firearms back over the ammunition.

Yeah, but it would be great to see the look on the cop's face if you asked for the ammo first and told to hurry up.

Josey Wales
08-04-2010, 3:51 PM
Not to change the subject but why did the CHP have your firearm(s)?

Wherryj
08-04-2010, 4:15 PM
I agree with the "ridiculous" statement.

I'd bet that the logic is that if you don't have the ammo you can't receive the weapon and immediately load it and shoot the LEO who just gave you the firearm.

Kinda ridiculous, though, since you could have just stopped at your friendly gun shop and picked up a box or two of ammo and maybe magazines (if appropriate) and simply loaded up anyway.

At least you're getting your firearms back. That's good news!

That is making things too difficult. How about they give you the guns day one, and when you return on day two you return with one of the guns...now you have the guns and the ammo on the same day.

Nothing is going to 100% protect them, it appears to just be another way to annoy you.

chiefcrash
08-04-2010, 4:54 PM
be sure to get a copy of that memo. I'm sure Gene would probably like to see it...

diginit
08-04-2010, 5:01 PM
Something smells funny here, Is the DOJ perscribed medical marijuana?

wellerjohn
08-04-2010, 5:05 PM
That is making things too difficult. How about they give you the guns day one,and when you return on day two you return with one of the guns[/COLOR]...now you have the guns and the ammo on the same day.

Nothing is going to 100% protect them, it appears to just be another way to annoy you.

And are pissed off now!:confused:

curtisfong
08-04-2010, 5:18 PM
What prevents them from just saying "we got a DOJ memo saying we can't give the gun to you for 10 days".

Then, 10 days later, saying "we got a DOJ memo saying we can't give the gun to you for 20 more days".

Rinse.

Repeat.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of recourse against this crap.

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 5:45 PM
Yes there is.

OP, email sent.

Connor P Price
08-04-2010, 7:49 PM
Yes there is.

OP, email sent.

Get 'em!

hoffmang
08-04-2010, 7:53 PM
Anxiously awaiting a copy of said memo...

-Gene

383green
08-04-2010, 8:26 PM
Oh, dear. It appears that the elder gods have awakened, and they are not happy...

Ia! Ia! CGF fhtagn! :reddevil:

Stonewalker
08-04-2010, 8:37 PM
Oh, dear. It appears that the elder gods have awakened, and they are not happy...

hahahahahahahha

Fate
08-04-2010, 8:40 PM
^ SIG MATERIAL!!!

:D

383green
08-04-2010, 8:40 PM
^ SIG MATERIAL!!!

Hey, you left out the most important line! :p

tankerman
08-04-2010, 9:07 PM
If there is a 'memo' then the DOJ must believe that they have the power to make law.

Not sure what's worse; DOJ attempting write law or the CHP thinking they should enforce an illegal law.

Evidently some bureaucrat scribbling his/her opinion down on a bar napkin is close enough to God's word that the CHP is willing to enforce, no questions asked.

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 9:10 PM
If such a memo exists, we will be receiving a copy very soon. If it does not, then this policy (which seems to have been articulated in writing) will be a curious thing for the CHP to explain (and then promptly fix).

Fate
08-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Hey, you left out the most important line! :p

Oh, I thought that was just drunk mumbling. What were you actually sayin? ;)

383green
08-04-2010, 9:15 PM
Oh, I thought that was just drunk mumbling. What were you actually sayin? ;)

If I told you, you would promptly go stark raving mad. :whistling:

77bawls
08-04-2010, 9:19 PM

X2 :confused:

Fate
08-04-2010, 9:21 PM

Too late. I have kids. :D

billgato
08-04-2010, 9:51 PM
I met a gentleman at a local gun range last week and overheard him telling another gentleman that he had had his pistol taken away a couple of years ago by the CHP.

Apparently, he was a recent transplant from AZ and was following a friend in a pickup truck. The CHP pulled over his friend for a violation (?) and so he pulled over in front of both his friend and the police officer.

The officer approached the truck and asked the driver why he had pulled over. The driver explained that he was following his friend and was waiting for him to be done with the traffic stop. The officer then asked if there was anything in the vehicle that he should be concerned with. The driver told the officer that there was an unloaded pistol in the back seat of the truck in a locked container.

If I recall correctly, the officer then detained the driver (perhaps at gunpoint or maybe not) and placed him in the back of the police car. He was kept there for some time (I think he said about half an hour or so) and the pistol was confiscated.

The young man was legally transporting the pistol but had to write letters and communicate with the CHP for three months before he was finally able to reclaim his pistol. He told me that he was not allowed to pick up the handgun and the ammunition at the same time. He had to arrange to come back on another day to get the ammo.

It is sad to see that this was not an isolated incident. The gentleman told me that in AZ, when he told police that he was transporting firearms in the vehicle, he was told to keep his hands on the steering wheel during the stop and after the stop was concluded, he was allowed to go on his way. Why can't we get treated with the same courtesy as in other states?

SJgunguy24
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
So, I just scheduled with the CHP an appointment to pick up my firearms with my LEGR that I just got back.

The officer told me that due to Cal DoJ memo, they cannot return my ammunition the same day I pick up my firearms. I asked him if he could cite the penal code that states this and he told me he could not because it was a DoJ Memo and not in the penal code.

I asked if he could provide me a copy of the memo when I go to pick up my firearms and he said he would.

Is this another one of the DoJ underground memos? Requiring me to go on two separate days to pick up my property is rather ridiculous...

I don't know about some memo but that is standard procedure when LEA cuts a gun loose. When my Glock was taken hostage by Alameda Sheriff's Office I was told the same thing. I didn't have a LEGR and they didn't have any of my ammo.

Longshot37
08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
just a quick off topic but the sheriffs have 4 of my long guns in custody and I got my doj letter with the gold seal and they are saying that I need one doj letter for every long gun they have to release them :(
is this right
thanx

BillCA
08-04-2010, 11:45 PM
just a quick off topic but the sheriffs have 4 of my long guns in custody and I got my doj letter with the gold seal and they are saying that I need one doj letter for every long gun they have to release them :(
is this right
thanx

Doesn't sound right to me. The LEGR is required for handguns and you can list multiple handguns on the form. DOJ then returns a letter listing the guns by s/n that you applied to have returned. I would think it's the same for rifles.

re: Ammo/separate day - If it was only 6 to 15 rounds of ammo I'd just write it off rather than spend another day dealing with the bureaucrats. Especially if there's any signficant distance involved.

jdberger
08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
is this right
thanx

Did you have to pay a LEGR fee for each gun? If so, how much did they demand?

Marsoc1
08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
the fee was 20 for long gun or hand gun and 3 more for additional handgun. i believe one or more long gun is all covered by the 20 if ur filing for return

Curtis
08-05-2010, 2:20 AM
When I went to pick up my guns from the Riverside sheriff I asked about my ammo. I was informed that they don't return any ammo (they had 3,000 rounds and loaded mags). When I asked why I was informed it was because you couldn't transport ammo and guns in the same vehicle (per the property clerk). The Sgt said he would make an exception for me (I was so pissed I couldn't speak and he knew It). But they made me take all my guns out first and then walk back in to get my ammo.

On a side note, I requested they release all the non-firearm property on a previous visit and they stated they wouldn't. All property was to be released at one time.

Curtis
08-05-2010, 2:27 AM
is this right
thanx

That is wrong! I had 4 handguns listed on one letter. I was able to get all 9 guns (it may have been more) returned with just one letter. The DOJ was pissed when the SO was giving me incorrect information. They even contacted the SO via phone to set them straight. I would call the DOJ and let them know what they are requesting.

Curtis
08-05-2010, 2:33 AM
Did you have to pay a LEGR fee for each gun? If so, how much did they demand?

The fee was $20 for the fist long gun or handgun and $3 for each additional handgun. There is no charge if you're a victim.

pnkssbtz
08-05-2010, 3:25 AM

I was (IMHO) fraudulently arrested under the pretext of Reckless Driving Highway for the sole purpose of the CHP officer gaining access to my car for a drug search through a custodial inventory. During which the CHP officer spent 3.5 hours searching through my vehicle and resulting in the confiscation of my firearms.

My case was dismissed due to it being direct filed by the CHP and there being no evidence supplied by the CHP for the DA to work with (who only received the case 3 weeks prior to trial date). The DA didn't even receive an incident report by the arresting officer so he had nothing to give my attorney during discovery. The end result was that the DA dropped the case in pretrial and the judge ruled the case dismissed due to insufficient evidence.

Ford8N
08-05-2010, 4:43 AM
I was (IMHO) fraudulently arrested under the pretext of Reckless Driving Highway for the sole purpose of the CHP officer gaining access to my car for a drug search through a custodial inventory. During which the CHP officer spent 3.5 hours searching through my vehicle and resulting in the confiscation of my firearms.

My case was dismissed due to it being direct filed by the CHP and there being no evidence supplied by the CHP for the DA to work with (who only received the case 3 weeks prior to trial date). The DA didn't even receive an incident report by the arresting officer so he had nothing to give my attorney during discovery. The end result was that the DA dropped the case in pretrial and the judge ruled the case dismissed due to insufficient evidence.

I bet the CHP knew he didn't have anything on you but just did it to screw with you. Sadly there is nothing that you can do...or any gun owner in this state. This is just another example of a bad cop abusing their power and driving a wedge between LEO's and us "little people".

pullnshoot25
08-05-2010, 5:50 AM
I met a gentleman at a local gun range last week and overheard him telling another gentleman that he had had his pistol taken away a couple of years ago by the CHP.

Apparently, he was a recent transplant from AZ and was following a friend in a pickup truck. The CHP pulled over his friend for a violation (?) and so he pulled over in front of both his friend and the police officer.

The officer approached the truck and asked the driver why he had pulled over. The driver explained that he was following his friend and was waiting for him to be done with the traffic stop. The officer then asked if there was anything in the vehicle that he should be concerned with. The driver told the officer that there was an unloaded pistol in the back seat of the truck in a locked container.

If I recall correctly, the officer then detained the driver (perhaps at gunpoint or maybe not) and placed him in the back of the police car. He was kept there for some time (I think he said about half an hour or so) and the pistol was confiscated.

The young man was legally transporting the pistol but had to write letters and communicate with the CHP for three months before he was finally able to reclaim his pistol. He told me that he was not allowed to pick up the handgun and the ammunition at the same time. He had to arrange to come back on another day to get the ammo.

It is sad to see that this was not an isolated incident. The gentleman told me that in AZ, when he told police that he was transporting firearms in the vehicle, he was told to keep his hands on the steering wheel during the stop and after the stop was concluded, he was allowed to go on his way. Why can't we get treated with the same courtesy as in other states?

Because that would mean the police here would have to act professionally and/or actually follow the law.

pullnshoot25
08-05-2010, 5:53 AM

3.5 hours? Officer McFriendly must have been having a very intimate encounter with your vehicle...

Desert Dude
08-05-2010, 6:43 AM
There seems to be a rash of gun grabbing going on here. Other than being arrested with guns in your vehicel (non gun related arrest) why are they taking your guns?

I very often travel with 4 or 5 long guns, 5 or 6 hand guns, many 100's rounds of ammo, and my CCW weapon. What's going on that gets all these guns confiscated?

HunterJim
08-05-2010, 7:20 AM
So is there a DOJ memo about implementing Heller/McDonald in California? ;)

jim

edit: I sent them a query via their email form...

pnkssbtz
08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
3.5 hours? Officer McFriendly must have been having a very intimate encounter with your vehicle...

My car is a Nissan 350z. It has limited cargo capacity. The officer was very thorough in searching my car, going so far as to gain access to the spare donut and search it's compartment, as well as spent some time looking for compartments. I had a range bag with me and he went through every single item.

What really sucks, on top of everything, is that I had just bought and installed a KIDD barrel for my 10/22, as well as hogue stock, changed some of the internals (power custom + KIDD parts) and put a tasco x4-x24 variable scope on it. And I have yet to shoot it since I modified it =(

When the officer saw it, he had this look in his eye like he had just hit the motherload. When he called in the serial # he called it a "sniper rifle". :rolleyes:

stormy_clothing
08-05-2010, 1:31 PM
like the old saying goes - roll up your arm and bend over would you like regular or unleaded

faterikcartman
08-05-2010, 2:53 PM
As an aside, a buddy of mine has a Nevada CCW and was pulled over and getting out the DL the cops sees his CCW and asks my buddy if he is carrying. My buddy says no officer, as he wasn't, and the cop smiles and says "well shouldn't you be? I would." Buddy says the cop was obviously very friendly to gun owners, and carriers. So it isn't all bad out there.

fairfaxjim
08-05-2010, 4:21 PM
As an aside, a buddy of mine has a Nevada CCW and was pulled over and getting out the DL the cops sees his CCW and asks my buddy if he is carrying. My buddy says no officer, as he wasn't, and the cop smiles and says "well shouldn't you be? I would love to bust your sorry a**!." Buddy says the cop was obviously very friendly to gun owners, and carriers. So it isn't all bad out there.

Fixed it for you. I really wouldn't believe for one second some cop telling me I should be breaking the law while he's busting my balls!!

hoffmang
08-05-2010, 5:59 PM
is this right
thanx

This is complete BS. Send them a certified demand letter immediately. If they don't promptly return all your firearms, contact CGF and we'll start teaching lessons.

-Gene

Connor P Price
08-05-2010, 6:07 PM
Fixed it for you. I really wouldn't believe for one second some cop telling me I should be breaking the law while he's busting my balls!!

Re-read the post. His friend is a CCW holder, carrying would not be in violation of the law.

SJgunguy24
08-05-2010, 6:09 PM
This is complete BS. Send them a certified demand letter immediately. If they don't promptly return all your firearms, contact CGF and we'll start teaching lessons.

-Gene

Gene, we gotta get video when the heads of these LEA's get the CGF's letter and start wimpering like puppy's who got busted piddling in the house.

hill billy
08-05-2010, 6:28 PM

-GeneI like the sound of that.

Gene, we gotta get video when the heads of these LEA's get the CGF's letter and start wimpering like puppy's who got busted piddling in the house.
They won't. They'll bluff and bluster and say how it was their intention to return them all along.

JagerTroop
08-05-2010, 6:48 PM
Re-read the post. His friend is a CCW holder, carrying would not be in violation of the law.

YOU re-read it. He has a NEVADA ccw. Carrying in Ca. would be illegal.

Side note: I'll bet the cop thought it was a Ca. ccw.

C.Strong
08-05-2010, 7:21 PM

I don't think it was posted one way or another what state his buddy lives/ed in, nor was pulled over in.

lotar4life
08-05-2010, 7:29 PM

I'm still failing to understand a couple things here.

1. Why did the driver feel the need to say anything here? More to the point, did the driver feel the officer should feel concern about a firearm being transported legally?

2. See #1.

Connor P Price
08-05-2010, 9:59 PM

I took it as meaning that it occurred in Nevada. By the wording I suppose what your saying is possible, however since CA isn't mentioned at all I wont make that assumption.

motorhead
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
now that you've awakened the sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve, where's the memo?

paul0660
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
The range story about the confiscation of the buddy's gun doesn't add to this discussion, being third hand (at least).

pnkssbtz
08-06-2010, 11:30 AM
now that you've awakened the sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve, where's the memo?Today isn't Monday.

I am picking my guns up on Monday.

I have faxed a CPRA request and mailed one too. (Will be mailing as well). I can't just go and pick up my guns, I have to schedule an appointment with a guy who only works 4 days a week. (I tried to schedule for today, Friday, but the officer in charge doesn't work Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays apparently.)

curtisfong
08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm willing to bet money they will not have a copy of the "memo" for you.

wheels
08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Today isn't Monday.

I am picking my guns up on Monday.

I have faxed a CPRA request and mailed one too. (Will be mailing as well). I can't just go and pick up my guns, I have to schedule an appointment with a guy who only works 4 days a week. (I tried to schedule for today, Friday, but the officer in charge doesn't work Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays apparently.)

Obviously having one guy handle the transactions and a schedule like that are to better serve the customer.

pnkssbtz
08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm willing to bet money they will not have a copy of the "memo" for you.

That is why, under Cal Guns Foundation advisement, I have sent a CPRA request as well.

hill billy
08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
That is why, under Cal Guns Foundation advisement, I have sent a CPRA request as well.

Good. Really looking forward to how this one turns out.

Scott Connors
08-06-2010, 2:14 PM

Always a pleasure finding a fellow Lovecraft fan on a non-fan board.

Scott Connors
08-06-2010, 2:16 PM

He's referring to H. P. Lovecraft's 1926 story "The Call of Cthulhu." Do a Google.

pnkssbtz
08-06-2010, 3:30 PM
He's referring to H. P. Lovecraft's 1926 story "The Call of Cthulhu." Do a Google.

LOL, his response is also in line with "The Call of Cthulhu (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecallofcthulhu.htm)" because merely mentioning his true name was enough to cause people to go insane =P

383green
08-06-2010, 3:32 PM
LOL, his response is also in line with "The Call of Cthulhu" because merely mentioning his true name was enough to cause people to go insane =P

Dang it, now I'm insane! :willy_nilly:

lgm118icbm
08-06-2010, 6:00 PM

-Gene

Have I mentioned yet today that I LOVE CalGuns?

Well, I do!

It feels good knowing that somebody is sticking up for us gun owners!

curtisfong
08-06-2010, 6:22 PM
And yet, we'll still never see that memo, and PD's will still be able to make up whatever excuses they want, on the spot, with no fear of repercussions. 10 days, 20 days... justice delayed is justice denied.

hoffmang
08-06-2010, 7:27 PM
And yet, we'll still never see that memo, and PD's will still be able to make up whatever excuses they want, on the spot, with no fear of repercussions. 10 days, 20 days... justice delayed is justice denied.

Oh... There is a lot more fear on the LEA side these days :43:

-Gene

BillCA
08-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I've had an officer spot my Nevada CCW before. He asked if that was a CCW and I told him "Yeah, for Nevada, here it's just plastic toilet paper." That seemed to satisfy his curiosity.

corrupt
08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Offtopic I guess, but I had a cop see my NV CCW as well. He actually ran my registered guns info in his patrol car (assuming) and then came back to my window just to ask me "where's your sig", which was the only pistol I owned at that time. I told him matter of factly it was "at home in my safe". He was satisfied with that.

pnkssbtz
08-07-2010, 11:10 AM
And yet, we'll still never see that memo, and PD's will still be able to make up whatever excuses they want, on the spot, with no fear of repercussions. 10 days, 20 days... justice delayed is justice denied.I already have a letter in my hand from the CHP where they tell me, in writing, signed by a Lt. Commander, that their policy is to not allow firearms and ammunition picked up on the same day.

But it is not the full policy, and I do not have the DoJ memo, which is what we are trying to get.

curtisfong
08-07-2010, 1:33 PM
Don't get me wrong; I am VERY pleased you chose to pursue this. I am just skeptical the CHP will ever show you the alleged DoJ memo.

Every time somebody like you stands up to this kind of crap, the better off the rest of us are.

Again, THANK YOU!

hoffmang
08-07-2010, 6:15 PM
Don't get me wrong; I am VERY pleased you chose to pursue this. I am just skeptical the CHP will ever show you the alleged DoJ memo.

Every time somebody like you stands up to this kind of crap, the better off the rest of us are.

Again, THANK YOU!

The Public Records Act requires them to turn it over, admit it doesn't exist, or come up with some argument it's exempt (it isn't.)

Once we have that then we'll examine the options to force compliance. CHP is usually more professional than this, but we will educate...

-Gene

Paul S
08-07-2010, 8:01 PM
The Public Records Act requires them to turn it over, admit it doesn't exist, or come up with some argument it's exempt (it isn't.)

Once we have that then we'll examine the options to force compliance. CHP is usually more professional than this, but we will educate...

-Gene

Just plain out-flaming-standing!

Paul S

wash
08-09-2010, 9:53 AM
I already have a letter in my hand from the CHP where they tell me, in writing, signed by a Lt. Commander, that their policy is to not allow firearms and ammunition picked up on the same day.

But it is not the full policy, and I do not have the DoJ memo, which is what we are trying to get.
I would love to tell that officer "Well you're going to change that policy."

Of course I would need CGF backing me up to get rid of the underground regulation or whatever it's called.

If we get rid of enough made up laws, eventually the police will actually have to learn the real laws and we won't get hassled so much for exercising our rights.

pnkssbtz
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Just an update. Mixed news.

First, I got my firearms AND ammo back. I was really worried about how the firearms would be stored, and apparently they were stored well. Not a spot of rust. I also got my ammunition back.

The officer I dealt with was very polite and professional to me. When he gave me the ammunition, which he gave me first, he told me: "that because my arrest was not of a violent nature they see no problem in returning the ammunition to me at this time." However, he also told me that I had to lock the ammunition up in a separate container from the firearms. I believe the CHP website also states this misinformation as well. This was all a moot point, because I had brought a locking briefcase to store everything in and the handguns themselves were in their own cases.

The bad part was that he was unable to give me the memo that we talked about on the phone, but he did tell me that the CPRA request had been forwarded to the department that handles such requests. But they should have until the 20th to respond to the certified letter with return receipt CPRA request that I mailed them.

I still do have the preliminary letter sent me by a Lt. Commander informing me that they cannot release the ammunition and firearms on the same date and that I must schedule two separate appointments.

Munk
08-09-2010, 1:14 PM
Glad you got your guns back, and they weren't damaged. Too many horror stories around here about the opposite.

Oh... There is a lot more fear on the LEA side these days :43:

-Gene

I love hearing things like this. It'd be nice to see an end to this kind of underground legislation.

Soldier415
08-09-2010, 1:23 PM
Congrats on getting your guns back. Glad you are pursuing this memo.

wildhawker
08-09-2010, 1:25 PM
We'll obviously remain in contact until these issues are successfully resolved.

The CHP has 10 days from the date of receipt to reply with their initial determination; only in extraordinary circumstances can they extend their deadline to make a determination by another 14 days.

Just an update. Mixed news.

First, I got my firearms AND ammo back. I was really worried about how the firearms would be stored, and apparently they were stored well. Not a spot of rust. I also got my ammunition back.

The officer I dealt with was very polite and professional to me. When he gave me the ammunition, which he gave me first, he told me: "that because my arrest was not of a violent nature they see no problem in returning the ammunition to me at this time." However, he also told me that I had to lock the ammunition up in a separate container from the firearms. I believe the CHP website also states this misinformation as well. This was all a moot point, because I had brought a locking briefcase to store everything in and the handguns themselves were in their own cases.

The bad part was that he was unable to give me the memo that we talked about on the phone, but he did tell me that the CPRA request had been forwarded to the department that handles such requests. But they should have until the 20th to respond to the certified letter with return receipt CPRA request that I mailed them.

I still do have the preliminary letter sent me by a Lt. Commander informing me that they cannot release the ammunition and firearms on the same date and that I must schedule two separate appointments.

hoffmang
08-09-2010, 1:26 PM
I believe the CHP website also states this misinformation as well. This was all a moot point, because I had brought a locking briefcase to store everything in and the handguns themselves were in their own cases.

Actually, the CHP website is correct and something I cite often to dispel this very FUD.

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well. from: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

-Gene