PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to run a stolen firearms serial number?

TKo_Productions
04-27-2006, 7:05 AM
Many years ago (back in the 70's) my father had a S&W Model 29 stolen from him. He never reported it as stolen or contacted/approached the police.

He still has the serial number, and I'm wondering if a database exists that I could have him run the serial number through.

Does such a thing exist?

If he indeed does find that it's registered/owned by someone, I assume that its within his right to have the property returned?

Anyone have any experience or a similar story?

Fjold
04-27-2006, 7:19 AM
Just go to the police station and report the gun missing. Tell them the last time that your father saw it was in 1970 something.

glen avon
04-27-2006, 8:12 AM
call atf. they do not like stolen guns floating around and I think they would be helpful.

harley66
04-27-2006, 9:28 AM
PD will require you to fill out a report and file it - it is possible that someone sold the gun and it got reg at DOJ - ya just never know..

There is another post here on Calguns talking about weapons that came from a friend that passed away and the new "owner" wants to know what to do with the weapons.. This is exactly how missing weapons show up on a stolen list somewhere -

Good luck on your 29 - those were great weapons.. I wish I had some of the ones I sold (nice wooden box 6.5") would buy one if I could find one...

1911_sfca
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
The DOJ keeps a database of firearms that are DROSed, so if it has been transfered, they have a record. You could contact the Firearms division.

The police in CA also have a database called AFS (Automated Firearm System). You could make a report and they would put the number in there. Then, if they have occasion to see the stolen gun and run the number, it would come up stolen and they should contact your dad with the info in the database.

socal57chevy
04-27-2006, 5:20 PM
What if they find it in an evidence room somewhere with your dad's fingerprints still on it?

harley66
04-27-2006, 5:56 PM
why would it Not have his prints on it, it was his gun?? However, I get your meaning....