PDA

View Full Version : Gun powder residue and Airline travel

Markus
08-04-2010, 1:49 PM
I'm going to the airport tomorrow to catch a midnight flight to texas and i was planning on going shooting that morning at an indoor range. Is this going to be a problem? I just remember they have those air blowing things and wondered if theybeould pick up the gun powder residue from shooting indoors?

Secret
08-04-2010, 2:02 PM
definitely, dont take the chance.

There was a reporter who traveled with a demolitions Unit ,tofilm not touch, in afghanistan that was caught by that windblowing machine at JFK

Suvorov
08-04-2010, 2:09 PM
I travel though the airline security with powder residue over all my stuff just about every day, hasn't been an issue for years.

Early on (2002), I was detained when my laptop was swabbed and came up positive for explosives. We had used my laptop to input our semi-annual weapons qualification scores and gun powder residue was all over it. After the cops showed up, I just explained myself and was on my way with a thanks from them for service to our country.

Today, the machines the TSA uses are much better about detecting real explosives from simple gun powder. If they do detain you, just be polite and explain yourself and they will perform a more thorough check of your bags and you'll be on your way. If you want to play it safe, just show up to the airport 1/2 hour earlier than normal to account for such an occurrence. You could also change your clothes before flying.

I wouldn't worry - have fun shooting! ;)

Oh, and the puffer machines are not being used anymore.

Fjold
08-04-2010, 7:48 PM
A couple of years ago I was shooting in Texas and handled my bags, camera, computer etc. while I was there. The next day they swabbed my computer bag at the airport and it set off the machine. I showed the TSA folks the pictures in my camera of me shooting and they let me through.

Canute
08-04-2010, 9:49 PM
Had the backpack I use as a range bag swabbed at SFO a couple of months ago and it wasn't a problem.

gose
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I fly with guns fairly often and not even my range bag or gun cases set off the machines...

SJgunguy24
08-04-2010, 11:53 PM
I remember Soldier 415 trying to fly home from Pre Deployment training, he said they swabbed him and every alarm went haywire. All of his gear had a fine coating of C4 and composiition B explosive all over it.

bjl333
08-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I flew back from San Antonio in '07. I checked in all my empties shells and they didn't have a problem. I haven't brought carry-ons though ...

Suvorov
08-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I remember Soldier 415 trying to fly home from Pre Deployment training, he said they swabbed him and every alarm went haywire. All of his gear had a fine coating of C4 and composiition B explosive all over it.

BIG difference between C4 or Comp B and smokeless powder.

OP - You are Good To Go - don't worry about it.