PDA

View Full Version : Floor Analysis for AB 1934 Is Now Available!

Black Dragon
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
There are many groups that have been left off of the official list of opposition, including both Calguns and Gun Owners of California. This happened during the bill review for the Senate Public Safety Committee as well. We need to get this "error" rectified immediately. Also, Responsible Citizens of California's official opposition statements have not been included in the bill analysis and we have personally handed both electronic and hard copies to be filed and included on this floor analysis. Anyone who has written an opposition letter to AB 1934 and sent it in on official letterhead should have been included on the opposition list. Something dirty is afoot.

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950/ab_1934_cfa_20100803_151608_sen_floor.html

Here is the official Calguns letter of opposition to AB 1934:

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/CGF-AB1934-Opposition-2010-06-21.pdf

The missing groups listed as official opposition to AB 1934 were also an issue during the Public Safety Committee hearings. Walter Stanley directly addresses this issue at 2:50 at the link that can be found here.

https://www.calchannel.com/channel/viewVideo/1528

creekside
08-04-2010, 2:44 PM
I called the office of the Legislative Counsel to ask about this issue. Never been hanged up on so fast by a public agency before.

Stonewalker
08-04-2010, 2:46 PM
I called the office of the Legislative Counsel to ask about this issue. Never been hanged up on so fast by a public agency before.

What? Is the Legislative Council phone for giving info to citizens? Are you going to keep on trying?

diginit
08-04-2010, 4:07 PM
I wonder if Gene is aware of this corruption...I hope he sues or presses charges. Sounds like a criminal offence to me.

OleCuss
08-04-2010, 5:02 PM
Sic 'em!!

This kind of garbage makes me think that the fix was in. Up until a few minutes ago I thought that the odds of AB1934's passage were likely dropping.

Now it looks like the Demorat leadership plans to ram this through. And I doubt they'd plan to ram it through unless they were pretty sure the guv would sign it.

hoffmang
08-04-2010, 8:10 PM
It is highly unsurprising that a CA legislative committee made a mistake of omission.

-Gene

hoffmang
08-04-2010, 8:11 PM
Now it looks like the Demorat leadership plans to ram this through. And I doubt they'd plan to ram it through unless they were pretty sure the guv would sign it.

They do not factor the Governor's veto in whatsoever. That said, I worry about the risk of the Governator signing it quite a bit.

-Gene

N6ATF
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm surprised they didn't add CGN, GOC, and RCC as SUPPORTERS of AB1934.

stitchnicklas
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
i smell a calguns fire mission of having every single member copy the calguns letter and fax/email it repeatedly all day every day,overload the system,make them take notice....

come on gene what do you say?? can we order a fire mission on this or what??

i have a laptop,email,internet,and plenty of time to dedicate to the cause ,lets lay into these jackhats!!!!!!!!!!!

radioburning
08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow. "Silence the opposition", huh?

jdberger
08-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I could spend a couple of hours sending emails....

stitchnicklas
08-05-2010, 8:53 AM
do we have calgun fire mission authorization???????????? gene??

N6ATF
08-05-2010, 9:33 AM
I would not be surprised if all law-abiding gun owners have been filtered directly to the trash bin.

Gray Peterson
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
What? You thought that the committee and the people involved would be honest and truly add in just because you said so? HA!

jdberger
08-05-2010, 1:17 PM
do we have calgun fire mission authorization???????????? gene??

You don't need Gene's permission to get active and demand responses from your government.

Usually, if something is poorly advised, someone will advise against it. Unless folks see negative ramifications to bugging the Legislative Council - go for it. Sometimes it helps to remind government that we're here.

stormy_clothing
08-05-2010, 1:42 PM
I smell a 4chan retribution mission forming.

1990GT
08-05-2010, 1:44 PM
What are the email addresses?

stitchnicklas
08-05-2010, 1:50 PM
You don't need Gene's permission to get active and demand responses from your government.

Usually, if something is poorly advised, someone will advise against it. Unless folks see negative ramifications to bugging the Legislative Council - go for it. Sometimes it helps to remind government that we're here.

i know but i do not want to interfere or step on toes . i respect gene and do not want to offend him..

jdberger
08-05-2010, 2:22 PM
i know but i do not want to interfere or step on toes . i respect gene and do not want to offend him..

Fair enough. As I said before - if he thought it was a poor idea, he'd likely step in.

In the meantime, this seems like a worthy venture and a great exercise of CGN's strength.

Go for it!

hoffmang
08-05-2010, 6:06 PM
Am vacating or would have responded sooner. Feel free to send the CGF opposition letter all you want.

-Gene

puppy8a9
08-05-2010, 7:06 PM
I was told that unless they sent the letter at each level it may not be registered but that was from the Democrats. Republicans said it is supposed to be registered all the way through.

pullnshoot25
08-05-2010, 9:36 PM
Am vacating or would have responded sooner. Feel free to send the CGF opposition letter all you want.

-Gene

This statement, combined with my current anatomy class, has made me laugh.

Lone_Gunman
08-05-2010, 9:50 PM
Ok. We have the letter. Now who has the email address?

HondaMasterTech
08-05-2010, 10:55 PM
This will pass. The governor will sign it.

znode
08-06-2010, 8:11 AM
Why aren't we calling up the Office of Floor Analysis directly? THey put up a phone number right on top?

------------------------------------------------------------
|SENATE RULES COMMITTEE | AB 1934
|Office of Senate Floor Analyses |
|1020 N Street, Suite 524 |
|(916) 651-1520 Fax: (916) |
|327-4478 |

jdberger
08-06-2010, 8:32 AM
Why aren't we calling up the Office of Floor Analysis directly? THey put up a phone number right on top?

|SENATE RULES COMMITTEE | AB 1934
|Office of Senate Floor Analyses |
|1020 N Street, Suite 524 |
|(916) 651-1520 Fax: (916) |
|327-4478 |

Excellent point. I'll go first. Please follow up with a fax. I'll post the text of my fax in a moment.

jdberger
08-06-2010, 9:51 AM
If anyone has additional official submissions beyond that of CGF, could they please post them?

ETA: I need the submissions in opposition for:

South Bay Open Carry
United Democratic Alliance for Peace
Constitutional Republicans

I have .Californians for Natural Rights (http://www.scribd.com/doc/33105747/Californians-for-Natural-Rights-Letter-to-Senate-Committe-on-Public-Safety)

As an aside, I don't think that it's too much of an imposition to wear a sport coat and tie when speaking in opposition to bills like this. I'd encourage everyone to do so. You are trying to influence someone. Put the same effort into it that you would for a job interview.

jdberger
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Text of letter and Fax:

August 6, 2010

VIA USPS and FAX

Robert Graham
Senate Rules Committee
Office of Senate Floor Analysis
1020 N Street, Suite 524
Sacramento, CA 95814

RE: Bill Analysis for AB 1934

Dear Robert,

Iím writing in regards to the Bill Analysis for AB 1934.

Pages 10 and 11 of the Bill Analysis (attached) contain lists of organizations in support and in opposition to AB 1934. Though it appears that the list of organizations in support of the bill is complete, a number of organizations have been omitted from the Opposition list. This omission gives the misleading impression that there is lopsided support of the bill.

For example, letters of opposition were submitted by The Calguns Foundation, Gun Owners of California, Californians for Natural Rights, South Bay Open Carry, Constitutional Republicans and the United Democratic Alliance for Peace. I have enclosed some of these letters for your convenience.

I respectfully request that you amend the Bill Analysis to completely reflect opposition to this bill.

With Best Regards,

jdberger

I have the opposition letters for CGF and Californians for Natural Rights. I've contacted GOC for a copy of their letter. The letters I still need are listed in the post above.

jdberger
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I finally had the opportunity to listen to the debate on the bill.

3 cheers for Roderick Wright (D). He kicks huge holes in the arguments for AB 1934.

Please contact him here and express your gratitude.

http://dist25.casen.govoffice.com/

My comment to him through his comment page:

Thank you, Senator Wright, for your opposition to AB 1934 (Saldana). Your comments regarding people's perceived right to be free from fear were right on point and alluded to the greater issue of whether Ms. Saldana's ban is an attack on the First Amendment right to self expression.

puppy8a9
08-06-2010, 3:50 PM
I have in my possession papers that are from the Republican Caucus, I will post after I get back home from So. Cal. These list a more complete amount of opposition. Bill Graham is supposed to be non-partisan on this but there was obvious bias. He basically told me he did not have time and hung up so expect rudeness if you call him. I believe the man deserves recognition for a job poorly done but it may not JUST be him.

Lori Saldana seems to have lost all our opposition letters from her binder that is supposed to log all these letters. I think the shredder fairy found this. The author can be bias to a point but this is crooked. Lori deserves a phone tree and lots of calls to boot, don't leave her out of this, her phones deserve to be flooded with as many calls as we can give her. These people HATE when their phones are phone banked so let's vow twice a week to call her.

Capitol Office
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0076
(916) 319 - 2076
(916) 319 - 2176 Fax
District Office
1557 Columbia Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 645-3090
(619) 645-3094 Fax

curtisfong
08-06-2010, 4:17 PM
Is there really anything that prevents Lori from putting whatever she wants into the shredder?

N6ATF
08-06-2010, 5:41 PM
If the government won't prosecute open traitors, why would it bother with a shredding tyrant?

jdberger
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I have in my possession papers that are from the Republican Caucus, I will post after I get back home from So. Cal. These list a more complete amount of opposition. Bill Graham is supposed to be non-partisan on this but there was obvious bias. He basically told me he did not have time and hung up so expect rudeness if you call him. I believe the man deserves recognition for a job poorly done but it may not JUST be him.

Lori Saldana seems to have lost all our opposition letters from her binder that is supposed to log all these letters. I think the shredder fairy found this. The author can be bias to a point but this is crooked. Lori deserves a phone tree and lots of calls to boot, don't leave her out of this, her phones deserve to be flooded with as many calls as we can give her. These people HATE when their phones are phone banked so let's vow twice a week to call her.

Capitol Office
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
(916) 319 - 2076
(916) 319 - 2176 Fax
District Office
1557 Columbia Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 645-3090
(619) 645-3094 Fax

Please post these.

In the meantime, I'll send out my fax to Robert Graham (language is listed above). It would be great if folks could follow suit.

Black Dragon
08-10-2010, 9:46 AM
This LA History Examiner article exposes the omission of official opposition groups from the floor analysis for AB 1934.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-26553-LA-History-Examiner~y2010m8d10-California-gun-ban-AB-1934--Democrat-dirty-tricks-begin

jdberger
08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I had a chance to talk with Robert Graham - he was a little frustrated (and probably overworked). He said that he never saw any of our letters (not even the CGF one). He also said that the way to make sure that they're entered into the record is to CC the Office to the Senate Floor Analysis in any correspondence. I'd suggest that people/organizations interested in weighing in on legislation do just that. It might help to send the letters Certified, too.

He stated that he'd include the CGF letter, and letters from Californians for Natural Rights and South Bay Open Carry since I was able to include them in my correspondence to him.

I did try to reach out to GOC, but I never got a response. There are other organizations that I listed above in my fax who never got back to me either.

Though he was kind of wary when we first started to chat, he was very nice.

If I may make a suggestion, when communicating with government functionaries and bureaucrats, be nice. Be polite. Say please and thank you. Be assertive but not aggressive. Ask how you can help to make their job easier. I did and he suggested that we CC the floor analysis people.

As I'm sure we've all discovered, gun folk have allies everywhere. If we're amicable instead of hostile I'll bet that they'll take extra steps to help us out.

thrillhouse700
08-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Post up her scandel on here, if you can.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-Californians-Safe-Support-AB-1934-Saldana/114224705262839

NM shes a coward and does not want to be shot down by factual disagreement.

"***Please understand that this page is a strictly informational resource about AB 1934. We are actively removing all comments. Thank you for your understanding.***"

dantodd
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
As I'm sure we've all discovered, gun folk have allies everywhere. If we're amicable instead of hostile I'll bet that they'll take extra steps to help us out.

Like many groups who feel disenfranchised, California gun owners often feel that anyone not "on our side" are against us and have a difficult time accepting that many people really are disinterested or hold no strong opinion on the topic and are willing to listen to both sides.

Dhena81
08-10-2010, 2:37 PM
How is this even an issue I'm so upset after watching this. Not one crime from an open carry person why us we are not criminals why do I have to show ID for my firearm illegals don't have to. Why are people so scared leave us gun owners alone please for the love of god enough is enough there are to many other things for these people to worry about.

jdberger
08-10-2010, 2:39 PM
How is this even an issue I'm so upset after watching this. Not one crime from an open carry person why us we are not criminals why do I have to show ID for my firearm illegals don't have to. Why are people so scared leave us gun owners alone please for the love of god enough is enough there are to many other things for these people to worry about.

Please express the same feelings to your Assemblyman and Senator.

Call, write and fax often.

diginit
08-10-2010, 6:18 PM
The author can be bias to a point but this is crooked. Lori deserves a phone tree and lots of calls to boot, don't leave her out of this, her phones deserve to be flooded with as many calls as we can give her. These people HATE when their phones are phone banked so let's vow twice a week to call her.

Capitol Office
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
(916) 319 - 2076
(916) 319 - 2176 Fax
District Office
1557 Columbia Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 645-3090
(619) 645-3094 Fax

Does this mean that I can say things like "Tampering with states evidence is a crime!" Or "criminal politicians eventually get their comuppins"?
Or should I be nice and ask... "How could you possibly lose evidence for a court case unless you wanted to? Ignorance in no excuse!"

KylaGWolf
08-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Please express the same feelings to your Assemblyman and Senator.

Call, write and fax often.

Unfortunately even if I do won't do any good since my legislator is the idiot behind this legislation.

Cybnew
08-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Post up her scandel on here, if you can.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-Californians-Safe-Support-AB-1934-Saldana/114224705262839

NM shes a coward and does not want to be shot down by factual disagreement.

"***Please understand that this page is a strictly informational resource about AB 1934. We are actively removing all comments. Thank you for your understanding.***"

Somebody really needs to make a parody of the video she has on there.

jdberger
08-11-2010, 6:51 AM
Unfortunately even if I do won't do any good since my legislator is the idiot behind this legislation.

You know better than that.

1000 phone calls from her constituents might influence her to not push as hard. At the very least, it will alert her to the fact that due to her stance on this issue, she's gonna have a tougher time getting elected to another office.

It's also a warning to the fence sitters.

Call.
Write.
Fax.

Do it often.

N6ATF
08-11-2010, 7:41 AM
Saldana's mission is keeping criminals safe by disarming their victims. Calling her as a law-abiding citizen will only strengthen her resolve to make you a victim.