PDA

View Full Version : A hi cap mag question

morfeeis
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
So I know a guy who is buying a Ruger P95 this week and he told me that the guy he is buying it from has had for a very long time and has a 32 round mag. My question is, is it ok for him to take the mag in the deal. I think he's going to do the deal no matter what I say but is it safe to go to the range with him and maybe even shooting it a bit?

Thanks

stix213
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
The seller would be committing a felony. He can legally disassemble the high cap mag and include it as a rebuilt kit, but then assembling it later without permanently modifying it to 10 round capacity would be a felony. (There are exceptions of course, but likely neither party qualifies)

Ownership/use of high cap mags is legal, its the selling or assembly of a high cap mag that is supposed to get you free room and board.

CSACANNONEER
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
He can take the magazine parts but not a complete +10 round magazine. He can not assemble the parts into a +10 round magazine while in California either.

Ed_Hazard
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Pretty much what has been said covers it. Your bud should take possesion of the disassembled mag. Keep it for when the ban is removed or if he travels out of state. He can if he wants turn around and sell it as a rebuild kit.

But under no circumstances can he put the kit back together and use it here in California while the ban is still in effect.

morfeeis
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Well atleast I know who I won't have range trips with, thanks guys I'll tell him let's just hope he hears me.

CSACANNONEER
08-04-2010, 1:49 PM
Pretty much what has been said covers it. Your bud should take possesion of the disassembled mag. Keep it for when the ban is removed or if he travels out of state. He can if he wants turn around and sell it as a rebuild kit.

But under no circumstances can he put the kit back together and use it here in California while the ban is still in effect.

Sure he can if he PERMANENTLY modifies it to hold ten rounds or less.

leelaw
08-04-2010, 2:06 PM
No, he may not take the magazine if it is assembled.

The seller can disassemble the magazine and sell it as parts, but if your friend ever assembles it, it is a felony on his head.