PDA

View Full Version : I hate thieves!!!

code3run
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Well my house got broken into last week and 2nd thing I noticed was that two of my handguns were taken. Was looking for last couple weeks at safes but waited too long I guess.:mad:

Barbarossa
08-04-2010, 12:41 PM
:(

Where you located?

Did you give the police the Serial Numbers?

code3run
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Los Angeles country about 20 miles east of downtown.

code3run
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
And yes they have the serial numbers. Hope they get located someday. Cant afford to replace them now. Beretta 92fs and a Smith and Wesson model 15 38 revolver....

Unit74
08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
And yes they have the serial numbers. Hope they get located someday. Cant afford to replace them now. Beretta 92fs and a Smith and Wesson model 15 38 revolver....

Already sold to some banger and the S/N's have long been scratched off....

Not to mention the PD/SO melt all recovered firearms anyway.

That suxs man. Insurance gonna cover any of it or are you SOL?

code3run
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Insurance but sure not going to get much. After deductable and so called depreciation value I wont get much back. Still waiting to hear from adjuster...

cudakidd
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Hmmm...a cautionary tale for every gun owner...BUY A GUN SAFE!

code3run
08-04-2010, 1:02 PM
For sure on the gun safe. I bought a huge one the next day. Now I feel like I need to put everything in it.....Also its a good thing I started orgainizing serial numbers and pictures.

frankm
08-04-2010, 1:09 PM
I filled up my safe the first day. Jewelry, papers, family bible, etc. Can't hurt!

Chester
08-04-2010, 1:46 PM
I filled up my safe the first day. Jewelry, papers, family bible, etc. Can't hurt!

Same here. Mine's not huge though, so it wasn't hard to do. Still is some great peace of mind when you go away for the weekend and can stuff your laptops and spare keys and other crap in there!

I couldn't imagine not having one now. Sorry to hear some scumbags took your stuff, OP.

stitchnicklas
08-04-2010, 2:10 PM
i have 3 safes,and when i leave town i take half of my collection to my brothers safe...eggs in 1 basket thing. i also have renters ins and extra ins. through nra,so i have about 10 g's of ins. more then enought to replace what was stolen..

toopercentmlk
08-04-2010, 2:37 PM
Mind telling us more accurately where you live, maybe a zip? I'm also about 20-30 minutes east of LA City...

turbogg
08-04-2010, 2:44 PM
Sorry to hear that thieves struck another Calgun brother. That sucks. How did they gain entrance to your house?

RedFord150
08-04-2010, 3:28 PM
Mind telling us more accurately where you live, maybe a zip? I'm also about 20-30 minutes east of LA City...

Me too.

code3run
08-04-2010, 3:41 PM
covina

code3run
08-04-2010, 4:06 PM
Sorry to hear that thieves struck another Calgun brother. That sucks. How did they gain entrance to your house?

Yea it sucks. Got in through open window from rear yard. My wife left at 1230pm and I got home with my kids at 115pm and found everything. I may have spooked them out. It sucks. My kids slept in our room for a couple nights till they got over it. Took my sons ipod touch and cash from both their wallets from both their rooms.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-04-2010, 4:23 PM
Good luck geting them back. Out of six stole from me. I received ONE back. That was in the 1978.

Falstaff
08-04-2010, 4:36 PM
It's getting bad here in CA guys... My next door neighbors a cop; he called me the other night, late, and said "you up?" I said yes, he said He just got a call from his alarm company and the sensor indicated garage side door entry. Asked me to meet him out front as he drove up with his family. I jammed out there and got to back him up with my Mall Ninja (Deal Extreme) 1200 lumen 5 Cree XP5 LED flashlight (causes retinal damage at under 15 feet!) as he cleared his own house with his duty weapon. Nobody there, but it was intense. Our houses back up to a river and that area along the river has become what i call "Human Detritus Highway" . Homeless everywhere now meandering through even nice neighborhoods. Property crimes off the charts; my boys cant even go to the skate park anymore due to the constant 211's and my 16 year old even witnessed an attempt 187 out there (kid shot in back trying to resist having his bike stolen).

Rivers
08-04-2010, 5:01 PM
NRA member? There is $1,000 firearm loss insurance included, among other benefits.

http://www.nra.org/benefits.aspx

Howie44
08-04-2010, 6:13 PM
Do you have dogs? just curios cause i also live in Covina

bsg
08-04-2010, 6:55 PM
sorry to hear this; glad you have a safe now.

CaliforniaLiberal
08-04-2010, 7:06 PM
For sure on the gun safe. I bought a huge one the next day. Now I feel like I need to put everything in it.....Also its a good thing I started orgainizing serial numbers and pictures.

And remember, Bolt It Down!!

There was a post here on CalGuns in the last couple of weeks by a member who had his 800 lb safe taken with all his guns and valuables. Not bolted down. The thieves had an hour and half window of time in the middle of the day and there was only two of them with a pick-up truck.

windrunner50
08-04-2010, 7:14 PM
Sorry to hear.........I hate F***ing Thieves:43:

hkusp9c
08-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Bolted down safe + Burglar alarm.

rojocorsa
08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
These threads seem to come up way too frequently, and it really sucks to hear about them.

WWDHD?
08-05-2010, 2:01 AM
I don't work for Costco or anything, but in the latest ad theres a Canon safe (EX20) on sale for $580 with shipping included! Its 19.44Cu.Ft. and item #469584. Don't know if its US made or not, but If I didn't already have a safe I'd at least look at this one.

Sales over on the 8th (sunday) but I think this safe or maybe a Winchester has come up on sale before. Good luck.

RedFord150
08-05-2010, 9:59 AM
covina

I am border of Glendora/San Dimas. We are close. Sorry to hear about this garbage happening in our neighborhood.
As you now believe, get some kind of a safe and bolt it down. Whatever your budget and living space will allow.
A safe that cost $1K and weighs 1K pounds bolted into solid concrete is the best idea. A $30 Wal-Mart safe bolted into a piece of larger furniture is not all that great, but is certainly better than nothing.
Bottom line: Do the best you can, just do something.
Good luck.

code3run
08-05-2010, 1:30 PM
Turners had a grand opening and they had a 36 guns asec safe for 699.00. They only had 40 to sale. I bought on and its 605lbs and bolted down in concrete. I also work for police dept and do these things daily but when it happend s to you it hits home. I live in a good area and know just about everyone on my street. Just one shady house that happends to live next door to me!!!!!At work we have been taking a ton of daytime burgs so lock your stuff up.....

Mendo223
08-05-2010, 2:41 PM
thieves deserve to be gunned down where they stand...sorry to hear your guns got stolen that must be a terrible feeling

my gun safe is bolted down but i have a feeling if the thieves were desperate they would just yank the safe out of the wall...because the bolts go into drywall and wood not concrete...how the hell do you bolt something into concrete anyways?

Sam Adams
08-05-2010, 4:37 PM
Bolting down a safe into concrete is not difficult. You will need a power hammer drill with concrete bit. Drill a hole about 3 " deep and clean out the dust carefully. Install 1/2" all thread rod into epoxy. Cut rod to length, let epoxy cure and install washer and nut. All material is available at Home Depot. Total cost approx.$20.

Howie44
08-05-2010, 4:47 PM
thieves deserve to be gunned down where they stand...sorry to hear your guns got stolen that must be a terrible feeling

my gun safe is bolted down but i have a feeling if the thieves were desperate they would just yank the safe out of the wall...because the bolts go into drywall and wood not concrete...how the hell do you bolt something into concrete anyways?

With Red Heads or wedge anchors and a roto hammer

cmichini
08-05-2010, 4:47 PM
There may be hope. My brother had 2 pistols stolen from his house a couple of years ago. Last winter he got a call from the LEA saying they had his gun and asked 'you don't want it back, do you?"

He said 'hell yes' and they were surprised!?

When he got it back it was a little beat up, bent safety but in working order.

It was surprising that the property clerks know NOTHING about firearms. She said it was missing some parts as there was a big hole where something was missing. He insisted he wanted it back anyway. It was the mag well. Sheesh.

joedogboy
08-05-2010, 5:10 PM
It sucks. My kids slept in our room for a couple nights till they got over it.

There are several terrible things about being burglarized (financial loss, sentimental value of items stolen/destroyed, worry about stolen guns being used in crime, etc.), but the sense of violation - that you are not safe in your own home, can be the worst.

Tighten up security, and remain vigilant - it is not uncommon for burglars to come back a second time.

Ford8N
08-05-2010, 7:18 PM
A lot of, if not all, day time thieves pose as someone looking for a friend, relative, looking for work, a salesman, boy scout, lost, ect... They knock and if you answer, the b.s. story is ready. Then on to the next place. IF A STRANGER KNOCKS ON YOUR DOOR CALL THE COPS. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE IN YOUR SPACE CALL THE COPS. Most of the time it's just some innocent person BUT, it sends a message to the scum that your neighborhood is aware of strangers. This is especially important in the big city. I know every single person personally on my block and we watch out for each other. It's really cool. ;)

SPUTTER
08-05-2010, 7:28 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope the tweekers who stole your stuff end up smoking the good stuff that finally gives them a cartiac arrest.

duckman1
08-05-2010, 7:48 PM
Do you have replacement cost on your contents coverage, if so they'll pay you ACV up front and replacement value when you replace them.

Big Jake
08-05-2010, 7:59 PM
That sucks man. I hope you get them back one day soon!

dadoody
08-05-2010, 8:22 PM
My handguns are in gun socks and blend in with my socks.

I'll probably do a gun safe one of these days.

norcal77
08-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Sucks to hear man...hope you get your stuff back but you know how it goes...

sfwdiy
08-06-2010, 12:53 PM
My handguns are in gun socks and blend in with my socks.

I'll probably do a gun safe one of these days.

I dunno, I have a hard time believing that a 2 lb. sock blends in with the rest.

--B