PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with shipping a Rifle.

kapache
08-04-2010, 7:23 AM
Good morning fellow calguners.

I just sold one of my rifles to a fellow calguner, and now I need to ship this rifle to him. I was wondering if anyone here can give me some tips/advices on how to properly package this Rifle/with a mounted scope, and what shipping company should I used to ship my rifle(I only use Fedex). As well what should I do to confirm that the person/shop that will be receiving my package is a License FFL.

Thanks guys.

Unit74
08-04-2010, 7:33 AM
Use a hardcase style rifle case. UPS is fine. It will get charges oversize freight pricing though. Hope you got plenty of shipping fees to cover it.

kapache
08-04-2010, 7:38 AM
Is there a way to used FEDEX? I guess I can buy a hard case, but paying 100+ for shipping will take away the fun on selling this rifle.

kapache
08-04-2010, 7:41 AM
I was reading on this site that if I don't mentioned that their is a gun in the package it should be okay to ship it.

http://www.gunfancy.com/shipping_guns.htm

paul0660
08-04-2010, 7:59 AM
Read this: http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

Fedex only ships firearms overnight. UPS will ship long guns ground. Post Office will ship long guns, and is usually cheaper than UPS. (I figure $25 max for rifles within California).

You should declare its a firearm.

Check FFL status here: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

kapache
08-04-2010, 8:08 AM
Thanks I just confirm that the person that will be receiving the rifle is a License FFL dealer. Do you think that USPS + declare it as a firearms will be the cheapest method to ship a rifle.

Unit74
08-04-2010, 8:21 AM
Read this: http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

Fedex only ships firearms overnight. UPS will ship long guns ground. Post Office will ship long guns, and is usually cheaper than UPS. (I figure $25 max for rifles within California).

You should declare its a firearm.

Check FFL status here: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

I work with a guy who just retired from the Post office. He said UPS and Fedex handle MANY of their freight loads. USPS is a front and contracts out the actual movement to another PO location.

kapache
08-04-2010, 8:49 AM
Thanks everyone, I confirm the FFL and found a company that I will be using to ship this package.

paul0660
08-04-2010, 8:51 AM
I have heard the same thing, unit. But the USPS does ship long guns, and from my location is a couple bucks cheaper than UPS when I ship to LA.

Kapache, UPS and the post office will be about the same. You really ought to send it in a case so there probably be some oversize fees. UPS has good tracking, Post office doesn't. Whatever is most convenient. Insure the heck out of it. Some counter people are clueless, so it isn't a bad idea to take a copy of the regs with you.

SVT-40
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Before you pack the rifle. Remove the scope and bolt. wrap them separately. This will preclude damage during shipping. Use bubble wrap to enclose the rifle, bolt and scope. Your local gun store may give you a shipping box, as they receive many shipments and often have them just laying around.

As far as mailing the rifle through USPS there is no need to "declare" anything. In fact be sure there is no reference to anything firearm related in the addressees address. If you are mailing to "Joe's Guns" just use "Joe's".

If the shipping clerk asks what is in the box just say "sporting goods".

It's actually none of their business what is in the package as long as it not on their list of prohibited items. A unloaded rifle en route to an FFL is not a prohibited item.

Unit74
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM

If the shipping clerk asks what is in the box just say "sporting goods".

It's actually none of their business what is in the package as long as it not on their list of prohibited items. A unloaded rifle en route to an FFL is not a prohibited item.

They only ask "Anything liquid, perishable, fragile or hazardous." That is USPS policy.

gunenvy
08-04-2010, 1:50 PM
Fedex and UPS ship HANDGUNS overnight/2day, long guns can go ground no problem.

supertrooper
08-05-2010, 1:06 AM
my friend shipped a rifle last week with fedex and he was only charged $17 and change. it was in a padded hard case inside a cardboard box. the gril behind the counter couldnt care less that it was a gun after saying it was going to a ffl.

SVT-40, since you mentioned it when i called charter arms about shipping a gun for repair the said dont put chqrter arms on the box but to put charter 2000 as the name. they also said not to send it in a box that would make someone think a gun was inside.

shooting4life
08-05-2010, 8:24 AM
You are supposed to declare that it is a long gun. I usually ship via USPS as it is cheaper than the other two carriers. I bring a letter stating that the firearm is unloaded and complies with all state local fed laws as they need a declaration as above or they can check to make sure it is unloaded. And since I usually spend a good amoint of time packing I don't want them to open it up.
Stop by your local gun shop, they will usually let you have the shipping boxes they receive their guns in for free. I also will go by the goodwill and by a used bed sheet or light blanket and wrap the rifle in that. It makes for good protection. If it is a precision type rifle make sure to spend a little extra time sealing the muzzle up to protect the crown.