PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Gun Out of State

Bulleh
08-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I just had a conversation with a fellow gun enthusiast and high school classmate. Turns out she's going home for the summer and although she's a resident here, she wants to purchase an off-list pistol to bring back here to California.

Now I already know and told her California doesn't allow dual residency so I don't think it's possible. Yet she thinks that since her family is back at home and she still gets her cell phone bill sent there (parents take care of that), she is still considered a resident of that state and will be able to purchase a handgun.

Some other things to consider is that she's been here for just over a year but has returned home once before the one year mark. During that time she found a summer job and worked for a month and also filed taxes with that state since she does not work here.

I'm a bit confused on the topic so instead of badgering her not to, I just said "Hey, go for it, no harm at being rejected during the wait period." If anyone could shed some light on the topic at hand, I'll greatly appreciate it. If she's risking getting into far more trouble than a simple denial, I would also like to know. I don't want her to loose her in-state tuition she just got approved for this Fall or her gun rights.

Purple K
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM
If she still has her home state drivers license she'll likely be successfull

SJgunguy24
08-04-2010, 1:58 AM
As long as she meets that states requirements for residency then she is GTG to buy a gun there. If her parents are there they can buy her the gun and gift it to her but it must be shipped to a CA FFL. The DROS will need to be done at that time and off list hand guns are GTG, she would use the Inter familial exemption.

After she takes delivery, she is then able to PPT to you.

Bulleh
08-04-2010, 7:55 PM
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I guess shes coming home with one or a few nice 1911's and whatnot lol. Lucky for her... and me, since I'll get to try her new toys at the range :)

dustoff31
08-04-2010, 8:46 PM
DELETED

Nevermind. She's a college student.

Bulleh
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
DELETED

Nevermind. She's a college student.

Not sure what you're original post may have said, but sorry I might've been a little vague. She's a former high school classmate, but yes shes in college, just transferred to California for school.

dustoff31
08-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Not sure what you're original post may have said, but sorry I might've been a little vague. She's a former high school classmate, but yes shes in college, just transferred to California for school.

Federal law allows for college students who's regular home is in one state, but who are attending college in another state to buy guns in either state.

I didn't catch that she was a student at first and pointed out that if she did not have a legitimate residence in both states (another fed exception) she would be breaking the law.

Bulleh
08-06-2010, 7:04 PM
Federal law allows for college students who's regular home is in one state, but who are attending college in another state to buy guns in either state.

I didn't catch that she was a student at first and pointed out that if she did not have a legitimate residence in both states (another fed exception) she would be breaking the law.

Thanks for the info. She just purchased her gun and is in her 2 week waiting period. Wish I had the funds to get an off list pistol as well haha.

Big Jake
08-06-2010, 7:16 PM
If she still has her home state drivers license she'll likely be successfull

That is all that is needed to prove residency, however, if the gun she buys is not California legal then she is commiting a Felony by importing!

Bulleh
08-06-2010, 8:13 PM
That is all that is needed to prove residency, however, if the gun she buys is not California legal then she is commiting a Felony by importing!

Nah she just bought a 1911. STI Spartan I believe. Back at home, the laws are almost as strict as California so it's not much different there. She just wanted an off list pistol.