PDA

View Full Version : How will .22 LR be affected by AB962?

rojocorsa
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
So the search function on this board sucks, and I'd like to know what's gonna happen after Feb 2011 with regards to buying .22 ammo

Thanks

rojocorsa

PsychGuy274
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
It's been debated before. What is handgun ammo anyways? There are many rifles that shoot "handgun ammo" and even some revolvers that shoot .410 shotshell.

The plain and simple answer is that no one knows exactly how this is going to play out. It's going to be a wait-and-see type thing.

However, AB962 might get shot down before it goes into effect. If not I suggest you get the 03FFL/COE combo seeing as that will exempt you from the provisions of AB962. Then you don't have anything to worry about.

stitchnicklas
08-03-2010, 11:38 PM
if the law does take affect .22lr might get a tad expensive,so get a 03ffl and a coe for a work around..

rojocorsa
08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Is it legal (for any type of ammo) to have someone in Free America ship it to you via private carrier? Or will that be prohibited as well?

scobun
08-04-2010, 7:14 AM
All ammo from .22lr to shotshells will be affected because there will be many vendors who just choose to not ship any ammo to California.

Mr. Beretta
08-04-2010, 8:35 PM
So the search function on this board sucks, and I'd like to know what's gonna happen after Feb 2011 with regards to buying .22 ammo

Thanks

rojocorsa

I for one, am not going to wait & find out. If you find a good deal, buy now & stock up. Properly stored, it will last many a year & it sure as heck ain't never going get any cheaper.

JMHO

gotime
08-04-2010, 8:43 PM
I'm confident that AB962 will be shot down. I read that an injunction is already planned seeing as the actual court litigation will stretch beyond the deadline next year.

sargenv
08-04-2010, 8:43 PM
While the 410 shotshell can fire in some handguns, there are no handguns in california that it is legal to fire a 410 shotshell in. The contender barrels that fire it have been on the no-no list for a long time and the modern guns that do it are not on the list. It will likely not be affected.

rromeo
08-04-2010, 8:48 PM
It's funny that every Walmart I've been to has a few boxes of 410 handgun ammo, and 410 handguns are illegal in California.

plan-b
08-04-2010, 9:04 PM
It's funny that every Walmart I've been to has a few boxes of 410 handgun ammo, and 410 handguns are illegal in California.

I was thinking about this just the other day when I went to WM to pick up ammo too. I can't help chuckling to myself when I see the box label.

checkenbach
08-04-2010, 9:08 PM
I had heard from my brother's wife's mother inlaw's husband's son's daughter in law that Walmart would stop selling ammo if it truly passes and becomes a working law.
No really, my Bro had a salesman at Vacaville Walmart tell him that they would stop selling ammo due to it being too much of a legal hassle(paperwork wise) to deal with.
Not too hard to understand considering some of the clerks that have sold me ammo in the past at American Canyon and Vacaville stores.

Milsurps
08-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Why is ammo so available at WM lately ? Are they clearing out their western warehouses in anticipation of stopping future ammo sales in CA. after 2/11 ?
I'm thinking so... :(

turbogg
08-04-2010, 9:49 PM
get a 03ffl and a coe for a work around..

Ok, I'll bite. How does one get a 03ffl? How much does it cost initialy, and is there an annual cost to maintain it?

Southpaw45
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM

I noticed the same thing...

ke6guj
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok, I'll bite. How does one get a 03ffl? How much does it cost initialy, and is there an annual cost to maintain it?

Here is my condensed guide on how to get a C&R FFL

Go to http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/ and request F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms..

On-line copies of the application you may find are out-of-date, obsolete, and not acceptable by BATF.
You MUST use the application that ATF sends you. You cant even use a photocopy of the form.

They will mail it to you, fill it out per the instructions, send one part back to BATF +$30, send second part to the CLEO that you refered to on the form, wait ~2 months, receive approved C&R FFL in mail.

YOu can purchase C&R firearms (of any age) (no AW's or NFA stuff) while out of state, cash-and-carry, and bring back with you with no in-state dealer needed. C&R handguns that are brought in require you to submit a C&R handgun report within five days. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

C&R long guns over 50 years old can be purchased in-state from any non-dealer or can be shipped into the state via a mail/phone/web order.
C&R long guns under 50 years old must be transfered through a CA dealer if you are physically in CA when you take possession.
Any C&R handguns purchased in-state or on-line must go through a CA FFL.

If you get the COE in addition to your C&R FFL, then you can DROS C&R firearms and take them home immediately, no 10-day wait.

To get the COE, Certificate of Eligibility, download the app at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf. Just follow the directions on how to fill it out. Included in the directions is a URL to a list of Live Scan locations where you'll have your fingerprints electronically scanned and sent to CADOJ and the FBI.

The COE is more expensive, around $100 in fees for the first year, but the renewal is something like $20 bucks per year. It has a very limited use in CA, but when used in conjuction with the C&R FFL, exempts you from the 10-day wait on C&R purchases (handguns and long guns) from a dealer (still must DROS it), and exempts you from the 1-in-30 handgun regulations for ALL handguns, modern and C&R.

When/If the mail-order ban portion of AB962 goes into effect, the C&R+COE combo will also allow you to do mail-order handgun ammo, provided the seller understands the exemtpion.

If you get your C&R FFL, you are not required to get a COE if you don't want one. You just don't gain the privledges that the 03+COE combo extends.

Your CLEO is your local police chief and/or county Sheriff.

You can also check out http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp for more info.

rojocorsa
08-04-2010, 11:44 PM
What I meant to ask last night:

Let's say you have a family member in AZ or NE (I don't, but this is hypothetical).

They go and buy a couple bricks of .22LR at their local Wally-World. Would it be legal for them to Fedex/UPS/DHL/Pony Express to you some of those bricks stateside to the People's Republic?

plan-b
08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Why is ammo so available at WM lately ? Are they clearing out their western warehouses in anticipation of stopping future ammo sales in CA. after 2/11 ?
I'm thinking so... :(

It's just because all the hoarders from the past year or two have finally gotten to the point where they don't need/want any more. Or they've just run out of space. Some WMs have even stopped limiting how many boxes you can buy.