PDA

View Full Version : Experiencing CG.net DNS issues (Roadrunner)

REDHORSE
08-03-2010, 7:45 PM
Currently having problems connecting to CG.net? DNS issues. The pages are not always resolving.

Anyone else having problems with Roadrunner (Time Warner)?

If they are, they are probably not able to post.

I'll sometimes manually input a different set of DNS server address in my router, from the default RR DNS servers, when these issues pop up. Or use the servers IP (206.125.47.50) to get through.

Starting to get better now, the pages are loading normally and the banner Ads are displaying.:)

uxo2
08-03-2010, 7:49 PM

yes..Roadrunner ...Was down
but now up ??????

Exile Machine
08-03-2010, 7:57 PM
I am not on roadrunner and I was having trouble accessing the site about an hour ago. It magically resolved. My company website was also affected.

BTW I always use OpenDNS.

Corbin Dallas
08-03-2010, 8:24 PM
Currently having problems connecting to CG.net? DNS issues. The pages are not always resolving.

If they are, they are probably not able to post.

I'll sometimes manually input a different set of DNS server address in my router, from the default RR DNS servers, when these issues pop up. Or use the servers IP (206.125.47.50) to get through.

Starting to get better now, the pages are loading normally and the banner Ads are displaying.:)

If it's only CG.net and no other site, it's probably not TW/RR.

I always recommend a DNS flush once a month along with a complete delete of browser cache & temp files.

mcubed4130
08-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Nope it was GeoVario's latest "security" updates that were the cause...

Seems our software vendor made the Primary DNS server config so secure the Secondary wasn't even allowed to read the DNS.

Anyway - sorry all... we jumped on the software vendor and made them cry uncle as fast as possible. Some ISPs that happened to grab DNS records earlier tonight - and... also happened to get to the Secondary DNS instead of the Primary (50/50 chance) - ended up getting blank records.

We shutdown the Secondary and forced everything through the Primary until we got the new security patches to behave themselves - and brought everything back online again.

-Michael

Richie Caketown
08-04-2010, 12:34 AM
i had some slight issues aswell (cox cable) ... it worked fine on my iphone tho lol

sfwdiy
08-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Nope it was GeoVario's latest "security" updates that were the cause...

Seems our software vendor made the Primary DNS server config so secure the Secondary wasn't even allowed to read the DNS.

Anyway - sorry all... we jumped on the software vendor and made them cry uncle as fast as possible. Some ISPs that happened to grab DNS records earlier tonight - and... also happened to get to the Secondary DNS instead of the Primary (50/50 chance) - ended up getting blank records.

We shutdown the Secondary and forced everything through the Primary until we got the new security patches to behalf themselves - and brought everything back online again.

-Michael

Huh, interesting. Hey, at least you know the DNS server is secure. :p

--B

E Pluribus Unum
08-04-2010, 2:28 AM
Roadrunner has had intermittent DNS issues for the last YEAR. It only happens late at night.

I am a network consultant and I work late at nights. I used logs of pings, traceroutes, even data capturing. After several months I PROVED it was their issue. Opened a trouble ticket and the response I got was "no problem was found".

What I think is they do network maintenance late at night and never want to admit it.

JDay
08-05-2010, 8:00 PM
You should use OpenDNS for your DNS, their free DNS option is all you need.

http://www.opendns.org

socalblue
08-05-2010, 8:09 PM
TWC / RR DNS sucks, as does their BGP routing. My IT group has identified & resolved many issues for TWC (We have a TWC fiber link, moving shortly to AT&T).

Open DNS is a good option, esp for residential cable users.

yellowsulphur
08-07-2010, 12:31 AM
+2 on OpenDNS.

Brianguy
08-08-2010, 1:26 AM
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/