PDA

View Full Version : Hunting logged areas for deer

lewdogg21
08-03-2010, 5:05 PM
Hi all,
So an area in which I hunt just got logged within the last month. They left a few small stands of old oaks and evergreens but basically clear cutted an open areas measuring 100 acres or so. How soon after the equipment leads before deer begin using the area? Next year when new grasses and plants shoot up? This year? Just wondering as this is an area I wanted to hunt before but never did, not it looks way different since the thick brush and trees are gone.

The area i hunt burned up in 92 and can be super thick due to sweet birch.

pieeater
08-03-2010, 5:24 PM
I would think next year and the few following years would be best. But is dry as it is and with all the equipment that was up there it should be easy to look for tracks to see whats been moving around.

taperxz
08-03-2010, 5:34 PM
There routes may change a little but i would glass at the tree lines of the clear cut.

gadjeep
08-03-2010, 5:47 PM
Growing up in Maine we used to hunt clearcuts all the time. All about access to food, water and movement just like any other cover. If its an area that sees a fair amount of logging throughout the year the deer are probably barely disturbed by it. Good luck!

pieeater
08-03-2010, 5:55 PM
Of course if its public land and not a limited entry unit if it looks good to you it looks good to 10000 other people.lol

Fjold
08-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Deer are browsers and typically eat shrubs more than grass. In most cases the clear cut areas will get the most traffic starting a year or two after cutting.

theseacow
08-03-2010, 9:39 PM
like everyone said, 1-2 years is pretty good. I go up to oregon and hunt deer every year, and they were just finishing up with a massive clear cut last year. Its about a 200 acre cut along a hillside. I cant wait to glass it over this year, since oregon gets alot of rain and it should be budding pretty good right now.

lewdogg21
08-04-2010, 8:10 AM
Thanks for the info. There is an area which was logged last year which is maybe 60-80 acres which I will probably have all to myself. Of course I say this and watch me not even see a buck.

pieeater
08-04-2010, 7:22 PM
If the hunting is really tough I would spend the day in the adjacent timber. The deer are going to bed in the thick on the outskirts of the cut. Just sit in there get comfortable take a nap or whatever. Deer will change beds thruout the day, you might have one walk right up to you midmorning to mid afternoon.