PDA

View Full Version : Download of Cable Bill OK as proof of residence?

a1c
08-03-2010, 1:53 PM
I know bank/credit card/cell phone statements are not recognized.

I went paperless two years ago with PG&E, and I didn't even bother signing up to download copies of the bills ever since (plus, their site doesn't accept online enrollment right now for maintenance reasons.)

I have bills from my ISP/cable/TV company, but went paperless a few months ago. I however downloaded and printed copies of the past four bills.

I also have a residential lease. It's not notarized, but it was enough for my wife to buy a couple of firearms recently. Then again it was at a local shop where they know us well. The PPT transfer I'm planning on doing will be at a shop I have never done business with.

Will the printouts of the last 3 bills of my cable/ISP/TV provider be enough for a PPT & DROS?

Lulfas
08-03-2010, 1:57 PM
I know bank/credit card/cell phone statements are not recognized.

I went paperless two years ago with PG&E, and I didn't even bother signing up to download copies of the bills ever since (plus, their site doesn't accept online enrollment right now for maintenance reasons.)

I have bills from my ISP/cable/TV company, but went paperless a few months ago. I however downloaded and printed copies of the past four bills.

I also have a residential lease. It's not notarized, but it was enough for my wife to buy a couple of firearms recently. Then again it was at a local shop where they know us well. The PPT transfer I'm planning on doing will be at a shop I have never done business with.

Will the printouts of the last 3 bills of my cable/ISP/TV provider be enough for a PPT & DROS?

While I don't know if your specific one will work, my shop let me use my car registration.

jb7706
08-03-2010, 1:58 PM
Call the shop and ask. There is the law, then there is FFL policy. One is known, the other is not. Just because something fits the letter of the law it does not mean the FFL does not have a policy of the law plus extra just to cover his 6.

a1c
08-03-2010, 2:03 PM
Call the shop and ask. There is the law, then there is FFL policy. One is known, the other is not. Just because something fits the letter of the law it does not mean the FFL does not have a policy of the law plus extra just to cover his 6.

Good call, thanks.

I'll wait until the seller and I have agreed on a shop and I'll call them. My situation is a tiny more complicated since I'm not a US citizen, and that requires continuous proof of residence over the past 90 days (hence the cable bill conundrum.)

Crom
08-03-2010, 2:21 PM
I used a cable bill for DROS. Printed it from the online portal for my cable account. I'm all paperless too.

383green
08-03-2010, 2:44 PM
I've been curious about this topic as well, because I've been going increasingly paperless. For my most recent handgun purchase, the FFL was satisfied with my truck registration.

jb7706
08-03-2010, 2:55 PM
I've been curious about this topic as well, because I've been going increasingly paperless. For my most recent handgun purchase, the FFL was satisfied with my truck registration.

It's kind of a crapshoot. I.e. all seem to be fine with registration, but what if your registration address does not match the address on your DL? Some are fine with that, others are not. It's really inconsistent. Unless I have worked with a particular FFL several times and know their routine I will always call ahead and tell them what I'm buying/transferring and get a clear statement from them on what they will accept to complete the deal. Way better than driving down after the wait is over only to find they want something you don't have on hand.

I can't wait for some of this harassment to end. It's a PITA for everyone involved.

383green
08-03-2010, 3:11 PM
It's kind of a crap shoot. I.e. all seem to be fine with registration, but what if your registration address does not match the address on your DL?

Ah, that's another area where I lucked out. I provided DMV with both my mailing address and my physical address (where I do not have any mail service, by choice), as required. I think DMV was supposed to put my physical address on my license, but they put my mailing address on instead. So, their mistake made my life easier for a change! It's been my experience that many people and organizations can't seem to get separate physical and mailing addresses right, so I don't like to give out my physical address if I can help it. If I give it out, people will mail stuff to it no matter how carefully I explain that there's no mail service there. :banghead:

jaymz
08-03-2010, 3:42 PM
If your wife is a citizen, have her buy it instead. It may very well be less of a headache, and it will be available for you to shoot just the same.

a1c
08-03-2010, 3:46 PM
If your wife is a citizen, have her buy it instead. It may very well be less of a headache, and it will be available for you to shoot just the same.

Nah.

First of all, the trip to the FFL might be a bit far for her to make given her schedule.

Second, I have a right to own and buy firearms, and I'm not going to let some paperwork headaches get in my way. I just want to get it right.

Third, this might become my CCW gun, and I'd rather have it in my name.

jaymz
08-03-2010, 3:51 PM
I hear ya'. Just trying to ease the headache. Just can't wait for the day that CGF makes the process totally painless!

a1c
08-03-2010, 3:57 PM
I hear ya'. Just trying to ease the headache. Just can't wait for the day that CGF makes the process totally painless!

That'd be nice. The irony is that I own many C&R firearms already (and I'm waiting for my FFL03 to show up in the mail), my wife owns several guns as well, but this would be my first non-C&R purchase in my name. I know aliens need to show continuous residence for the past 90 days. Which is why I need those bills... I'll have to make a call to the FFL. I found out several times many FFLs don't know how to deal with non-US citizens, and I'm the one who has to point them to the right sections.

AlliedArmory
08-03-2010, 4:37 PM
Why not just use a car/truck registration? It's easy and you won't forget it assuming you drive there.

a1c
08-03-2010, 5:13 PM
Why not just use a car/truck registration? It's easy and you won't forget it assuming you drive there.

Again, non-US citizens need to also provide documents proving continuous residence over the past 90 days. A registration doesn't prove that.

ke6guj
08-03-2010, 5:34 PM
Why not just use a car/truck registration? It's easy and you won't forget it assuming you drive there.not everyone's car is registered in their name. Company cars, cars registered in a spouse/significant other, etc.

plus, as the OP mentioned, non-US residents citizens have additional residency requirements that they must deal with.

ke6guj
08-03-2010, 5:53 PM
my bad. fixed.

yellowfin
08-03-2010, 6:05 PM
Perhaps a statement from your renter's insurance would work. I'd say that's pretty solid proof of residence.

a1c
08-11-2010, 7:14 PM
Update: the downloaded and printouts of my last 3 cable bills worked perfectly fine at Bay Area Gun Vault today for the DROS, and so did the seller's last DirecTV bill, which he printed directly from their computer.

cpt_majestic
08-11-2010, 7:20 PM
I used my online statement from Edison at Turners, no problem.

JMAN1981
08-16-2010, 5:43 PM
Depends really on where you want to buy from, If you go to Turners they will accept printed out bills. I just bought a M&P9 last week at the Turners Fountain Valley and did not have a problem. Just make sure you call the place you are purchasing the firearm from and ask them what they will accept.

tenpercentfirearms
08-17-2010, 4:41 AM
Perhaps a statement from your renter's insurance would work. I'd say that's pretty solid proof of residence.

It would not work for the State Proof of Residency for a handgun, but it might be fine for the resident alien three months.

My question is why did they require any proof of residency from the seller? That is extraneous. Oh well. You got it done!

Whether you print them up online or you have direct copies sent to you, a bill is a bill at my shop.

G60
08-17-2010, 11:09 AM
A local FFL let me print out my gas bill from their computer and use it as proof of residence. They still suck since it was a long gun transaction. I will not use their services in the future.