PDA

View Full Version : Android Outsells iPhone In Last 6 Months

JDay
08-03-2010, 1:28 PM
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/android-soars-but-iphone-still-most-desired-as-smartphones-grab-25-of-u-s-mobile-market

Multipurpose smartphones that allow users to access the web and email as well as run thousands of apps and share text and picture messages are now 25% of the U.S. mobile market, up from 23% in the last quarter according to recent data from The Nielsen Company. By the end of 2011, Nielsen predicts smartphones to overtake feature phones in the U.S. market.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smartphone-growth-q2-2010.png

While the iPhone has been the headline grabber over the last few years in the smartphone market, Google’s Android OS has shown the most significant expansion in market share among current subscribers. Android’s rise is even more noticeable among new smartphone subscribers in the last six months where Android has nosed past Apple’s iOS in the last quarter to grab a 27% share of those recent smartphone subscribers.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mobile-OS-share-q2-2010.png

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mobile-OS-share-recent-2010.png

Among current subscribers thinking of switching devices, the iPhone remains the most desired phone, finding loyalty with nearly 90% of current iPhone users and enticing healthy slices of Android users (21%) and Blackberry owners (29%) to consider the move to Apple. Android’s loyalty among switchers (71%) outperforms Blackberry (42%) where half of its users could potentially chose an iPhone or an Android phone for their next device.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smartphone-switch.png

bigmike82
08-03-2010, 1:36 PM
To counter balance the android fanboyism...

Notice that a much greater percentage of iPhone users want an iPhone as their next phone, while a much greater percentage of Android users want an iPhone for their next phone than iPhone users want an Android phone.

Just sayin'.

JDay
08-03-2010, 3:24 PM
That's because Apples customers are sheep. Steve Jobs could take a crap, package it as the iTurd and sell it for $500 and I bet his customers would be lined up down the block just to be the first to have it.

GP3
08-03-2010, 3:38 PM
This 'phone war' stuff boggles my mind. Especially when it turns to stereotyping people who own a specific device. Live and let live.

turbogg
08-03-2010, 4:39 PM
And that Nielsen info was gathered up to June first. And of course the iPhone 4 came out June 24, so those old sales numbers refering to the sales of the iPhone 3GS, are ancient history. the iPhone 4 is still sold out in stores, and I've heard from some friends that it is a 4-6 week wait once ordered. I read somewhere that one million iPhone 4's a day are being sold.

REDHORSE
08-03-2010, 4:53 PM
And that Nielsen info was gathered up to June first. And of course the iPhone 4 came out June 24, so those old sales numbers refering to the sales of the iPhone 3GS, are ancient history. the iPhone 4 is still sold out in stores, and I've heard from some friends that it is a 4-6 week wait once ordered. I read somewhere that one million iPhone 4's a day are being sold.

Exactly. IPhone People were waiting/holding out for the new iPhone 4 model for the first 2 Qtrs of 2010.

Why purchase last years iPhone model when the new iPhone 4 was to be released at the end of June.

turbogg
08-03-2010, 5:03 PM
Exactly. IPhone People were waiting/holding out for the new iPhone 4 model for the first 2 Qtrs of 2010.

Why purchase last years iPhone model when the new iPhone 4 was to be released at the end of June.

That is exactly what I did. I waited 6 months after my 2 year upgrade time, for the new iPhone 4. Even then I ordered it and then had to wait another 3 weeks, as Apple was selling so many it couldn't make them fast enough.

turbogg
08-03-2010, 5:04 PM
That's because Apples customers are sheep. Steve Jobs could take a crap, package it as the iTurd and sell it for $500 and I bet his customers would be lined up down the block just to be the first to have it.

Ahhhhh, no.

CnCFunFactory
08-03-2010, 5:29 PM
I have an iphone for the same reason I own a Glock. It just works when you need it to. :cool:

KillZone45
08-03-2010, 6:17 PM
Its been said before and Ill say it again. iPhone is one phone/OS, the Android operating system is on a ton of phones now. So one phone versus many phones, yeah there ya go lol.

Loner
08-03-2010, 8:00 PM
Guess which OS will be powering devices in the coming years for Operators.

Android:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/07/raytheon_android_tactical_system.html

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/technology/rtn09_rats/

http://phandroid.com/2009/10/21/this-means-war-raytheon-android-tactical-system-rats/

RRangel
08-03-2010, 8:33 PM
To counter balance the android fanboyism...

Notice that a much greater percentage of iPhone users want an iPhone as their next phone, while a much greater percentage of Android users want an iPhone for their next phone than iPhone users want an Android phone.

Just sayin'.

Not that it matters much but you can probably attribute more sales of Android to a more open business model. You'll also see more wheeling and dealing as far as price goes. Something you're hard pressed to get when looking at iPhones.

phish
08-03-2010, 11:28 PM
lol, nerd rage...

btw, how's that wallpaper app wotking out ;)

sfwdiy
08-04-2010, 2:26 AM
Droid Incredible FTW.

I had an iPhone since the first model came out. I upgraded to an iPhone 3G and used that phone for 2 years. I jailbroke the hell out of it. That made it much more powerful but vastly less stable.

Then the iPhone 4 was released. The iPhone 4 is a beautifully made piece of hardware with some serious design flaws, and iOS 4 just doesn't cut it compared to the Android OS for me, not even close.

I compare the top-end Android phones to the iPhone like this: It's like two high-end sports cars that are the same in almost every respect, except one of them has a padlock on the engine compartment that can only be opened by the dealer. The iPhone is the one with the padlock.

--B

GP3
08-04-2010, 7:50 AM
I compare the top-end Android phones to the iPhone like this: It's like two high-end sports cars that are the same in almost every respect, except one of them has a padlock on the engine compartment that can only be opened by the dealer. The iPhone is the one with the padlock.

--B

The padlock has just been opened (as of August 1).

www.jailbreakme.com

-hanko
08-04-2010, 2:20 PM
I run into far more i-phone users basing their self-esteem on their phone than I do android users. Your favorite phone should be your business, no one else's.

That said, note the bandwidth limit and overage charges from the major provider of i-phones in the US v. their competition.:rolleyes: I try to avoid surprise mobile phone bills, but that's just me.;)

I put a lot more concern into rate plan costs than the type of phone.

-hanko

sholling
08-04-2010, 4:05 PM
I carried a Blackberry Storm for 18 months before switching to a Droid X. Android (2.1) has some nice features the best being the availability of 1st rate applications. Following close behind are internet speeds, the quality of the touch screen keyboard, and the interface. BB apps were DOS 2.0 level primitive in comparison and the surfing speeds reminded me of the bad old days of 14.4K modems. Just horribly slow.

Where the Storm just dumps on Android are the always up to the minute unified mail system and the seamless integration with MS Outlook. Google's agenda of forcing customers to give up outlook and use Google's online products is irritating at best. My primary mail provider is yahoo and having to use two mail clients and look in two locations for mail is also irritating and I'm just not willing to go through the work of changing addresses at all the places that I frequent. Oh and mail updates appear to be spotty.

On the plus side the Droid X's on screen keyboard is a dream and the 3rd party applications that I use are worlds better than the stuff available for the BB. The screen is beautiful and audio playback over my own good headphones is as good as any MP3 player that I've tried.

On the downside the Droid X is too big for belt carry and I refuse to carry a man-purse. That's why I wish I had waited for the Droid 2. The other downside is the ringer at max volume is about 1/2 the Storm's and the Storm's ringer works with Bluetooth on, meaning you don't have to make a choice between having BT enabled and hearing the ringer.

bigmike82
08-04-2010, 4:11 PM
"On the downside the Droid X is too big for belt carry and I refuse to carry a man-purse."
Man, if only they made these things on pants that can be used for storage...almost like...a piece of fabric sown on 3 out of 4 sides or so...

One day...

;)

sholling
08-04-2010, 7:43 PM
"On the downside the Droid X is too big for belt carry and I refuse to carry a man-purse."
Man, if only they made these things on pants that can be used for storage...almost like...a piece of fabric sown on 3 out of 4 sides or so...

As long as you don't want to put anything else in that sown thingy. ;)

Things like keys and change (right front thingy), money and knife (left front thingy) take up all the space but maybe I can get fatigue like pockets sown in my dress pants and my suit. ;)

Loner
08-04-2010, 8:39 PM
Problem solved:

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/images/motorola_q11_accessories/psi35803.main.jpg (http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI-63978.html)

Noah3683
08-04-2010, 8:40 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA It's so true too. I'm no major fan of either, but plain and simple AT&T would be in the dirt without the Iphone. Verizon would be going strong regardless.

evidens83
08-04-2010, 10:27 PM
This 'phone war' stuff boggles my mind. Especially when it turns to stereotyping people who own a specific device. Live and let live.

This. Its usually from Droid fanboys too :rolleyes:

Santa Cruz Armory
08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
My Droid is the best phone I've ever had! and I've had a lot of phones...

Tacom
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
On the downside the Droid X is too big for belt carry and I refuse to carry a man-purse. That's why I wish I had waited for the Droid 2. The other downside is the ringer at max volume is about 1/2 the Storm's and the Storm's ringer works with Bluetooth on, meaning you don't have to make a choice between having BT enabled and hearing the ringer.

IIRC isn't there a 30 day no questions asked return policy? Although you might get stuck with a restocking fee, if the downsides bother you enough it might be worth it. I can fit the droid x into the front pockets of my dickies shorts fine with keys and other stuff.

bigmike82
08-04-2010, 11:08 PM
"As long as you don't want to put anything else in that sown thingy"
Mine lives in my pockets, and I've got a giant bunch of keys and change. I put the wallet in the back pocket, so that's not an issue.

If you wear a fitted suit, I can see how there's a problem, especially if you have the rubber skin for it. That thing makes it a pita to slide in and out. (rofl).

sholling
08-04-2010, 11:12 PM
IIRC isn't there a 30 day no questions asked return policy? Although you might get stuck with a restocking fee, if the downsides bother you enough it might be worth it. I can fit the droid x into the front pockets of my dickies shorts fine with keys and other stuff.
I'm giving serious thought to returning it for a Droid 2 if it's released in time. Otherwise I'll make do because I like the phone. It's just huge. I do hope that they fix the unified mail and outlook sync issues in the 3.0 but i can live with it. I guess I'll start wearing 511 cargo pants. ;)

2DoorImpala
08-05-2010, 2:59 AM
I had the iPhone since the first one. Instead of going for an iPhone 4. I switched to an andriod phone, since I kinda like to make the phone do as I want. Apple just wants to much control over their products. Dropping Apple took off 5 douchebag points off me too.

ar15barrels
08-05-2010, 9:34 AM
This 'phone war' stuff boggles my mind. Especially when it turns to stereotyping people who own a specific device.

It does not help that many iphone users live up to the stereotypes. ;)

jmlivingston
08-05-2010, 9:52 AM

That right there's sig-worthy! :D

That said, I'll probably have an iPhone 4 as the next phone supplied to me by my employer. They don't do any of the Android phones yet, just the iPhone and Blackberries.

Hozr
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I despise Apple and it's BS marketing antics. I own an iPhone 4 and previously owned an iPhone 3g. I love my phone, I hate apple.

My personal experience is this: My girlfriend, 2 bosses, and brother all own "droid" os phones and all of them use my phone often. I have never, ever, had the need to use one of their phones. For anything. My iPhone just works.

tejash55
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I have an iphone for the same reason I own a Glock. It just works when you need it to. :cool:

but it doesnt work any other time...read they have service problems.

Canute
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I despise Apple and it's BS marketing antics. I own an iPhone 4 and previously owned an iPhone 3g. I love my phone, I hate apple.

My personal experience is this: My girlfriend, 2 bosses, and brother all own "droid" os phones and all of them use my phone often. I have never, ever, had the need to use one of their phones. For anything. My iPhone just works.

That's strange. Last summer I crossed the US by bicycle. Verizon was the only service that actually worked most of the way.
And I've never had problems with my Droid.
Another thing that annoys me about Apple is that they rebuilt their company on BSD and GNU/GPL free software, then turn around and lock it up tight.

JDay
08-05-2010, 7:15 PM
Where the Storm just dumps on Android are the always up to the minute unified mail system and the seamless integration with MS Outlook. Google's agenda of forcing customers to give up outlook and use Google's online products is irritating at best. My primary mail provider is yahoo and having to use two mail clients and look in two locations for mail is also irritating and I'm just not willing to go through the work of changing addresses at all the places that I frequent. Oh and mail updates appear to be spotty.

Android has exchange support for corporate email just like the Blackberry (go into the phones settings, accounts, add account, corporate email), you also are not forced to use Google's services (you do not even need a Google account to use the phone, although you need one to use the Market). You can also use the mail client with most providers, just enter the email address and password. As for making email get to you faster all you need to do is set the phone to update it more often, however this will cause the battery to drain faster.

sfwdiy
08-05-2010, 8:03 PM
The padlock has just been opened (as of August 1).

www.jailbreakme.com

I had an iPhone since the first model came out. I upgraded to an iPhone 3G and used that phone for 2 years. I jailbroke the hell out of it. That made it much more powerful but vastly less stable.

The problem with jailbreaking is that it's a kludge. The phone wasn't intended to be used in this manner. Apps and workarounds have to be written using trial-and-error to make things work. All the interesting jailbreak stuff works with parts of the operating system that developers aren't supposed to have access to, which means there's no dev docs, no APIs, nada.

This adds up to bugs, crashes, slowdowns and instability. It's cool that people are able to do these things with the iPhone, but I don't really wanna jump through those hoops and destabilize my device just to use something like Google Voice.

--B

JDay
08-05-2010, 8:29 PM
The problem with jailbreaking is that it's a kludge. The phone wasn't intended to be used in this manner. Apps and workarounds have to be written using trial-and-error to make things work. All the interesting jailbreak stuff works with parts of the operating system that developers aren't supposed to have access to, which means there's no dev docs, no APIs, nada.

This adds up to bugs, crashes, slowdowns and instability. It's cool that people are able to do these things with the iPhone, but I don't really wanna jump through those hoops and destabilize my device just to use something like Google Voice.

--B

Jailbreaking only removes the limitation that the app be signed by Apple. The APIs used to make non-approved apps are the same ones used for approved apps.

kozumasbullitt
08-08-2010, 12:46 AM
The only problem with Nielson is that they survey a small market, I think there last report was data gathered from 150k people. I own an iPhone and like it and in the bay area it seems everyone has an iPhone, I bet if a survey was done here the numbers would look different.