PDA

View Full Version : Latest Brady eMail for Aug 3rd - Sac City considers support for AB1934

CaliforniaLiberal
08-03-2010, 7:54 AM
This might not be of earth shaking importance but I know that some of you would love to attend and speak up for the 2nd Amendment.

"This Thursday, the City of Sacramento is considering a position on AB 1934, legislation to ban the carrying of exposed handguns in public places and streets in California. As you may know, the “Open Carry Movement” has been promoting the carrying of exposed weapons in public, including places such as beaches, parks, and Starbucks. People carrying exposed weapons are not required to undergo any special training or screening. They are not trained to make split-second decisions or shoot straight. They may be angry or volatile. A confrontational situation could rapidly turn into a tragic and deadly incident.

Sacramento’s Law and Legislation Committee will be voting on AB 1934 this Thursday, August 5th, at 3 pm. The Committee Meeting will be in the New City Hall at 915 I Street, 1st Floor - Council Chambers. We need supporters of AB 1934 to attend the meeting.

Please let me know if you plan to attend the meeting. I will send out more details in the near future.

Thanks,

Amanda Wilcox
Sacramento Valley Chapter
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
530-432-2171
mmmnevadaco@nacctel.com
www.bradycampaign.org/CA"

Notice the quiet assumption that all LEOs are competent and wise with firearms, "trained to make split second decisions and shoot straight." That without the special LEO training and selection anyone carrying a firearm is dangerous.

OneSevenDeuce
08-03-2010, 7:59 AM
They may be angry or volatile. A confrontational situation could rapidly turn into a tragic and deadly incident.

:rofl2:

More volatile than the criminals and gang members who illegally carry concealed I'm sure.

ironpegasus
08-03-2010, 8:41 AM
I love how they always lump everybody together - you want to carry a gun so that you may protect yourself any possibly others? Well then you must be an angry, untrained nutbag who has never handled a firearm in an adverse situation.
Yeah, that's one interpretation. Or maybe you could have been trained in the use of firearms by several organizations over the course of your life and have a very good idea of how to shoot under pressure. I'm pretty sure the Marines taught me how to shoot under pressure and identify my targets properly. I'm pretty sure they taught me about discipline too - so that even if I am offended at the fact that certain people may wish to further deprive us of our RKBA, I'm not about to let that turn me into a raving homicidal maniac - I'll leave that to crazy professors and jihadists.
That said, while I believe in people having the right to UOC, I don't particularly believe in it being a useful tool myself - you have to draw, load, aim and fire - by that time the bad guy is already on top of you (if unarmed) or you are already bleeding out and dying because you identified yourself as the prime target by being the most obvious threat in the area (if they are carrying themselves). UOC only deters those who irrationally fear guns in the first place. I'd much rather see CCW reform - had an uncle who was a chief, he wouldn't issue because it might look like nepotism. I know my own chief personally (good guy, generally speaking), and he won't issue because they leave that to the county Sheriff (city policy) - although I may have to try revisiting that now that RKBA is a fundamental right and one of the core purposes of that right is for self defense (thank you Mr. McDonald).

CaliforniaLiberal
08-03-2010, 8:51 AM
Welcome to CalGuns Ironpegasus!

hill billy
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Someone should show up with the report that was posted in another thread about how many innocents are shot during police shootings versus innocents shot by non police during shootings. There was a large disparity in our favor.

cmaynes
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
open carry, though an obvious important liberty, pales to Concealled carry- Both are required, but if one were to be sacrificed It would obviously be open carry.

OneSevenDeuce
08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
I think we aught not to consider sacrificing any facet of our constitutional rights. Period. The Bill of Rights is not a buffet to pick and choose from. You get them all.

Wherryj
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
:rofl2:
They may be angry or volatile. A confrontational situation could rapidly turn into a tragic and deadly incident.

More volatile than the criminals and gang members who illegally carry concealed I'm sure.

Are they speaking of people driving motor vehicles? Baseball players on 'roids? Politicians?

stix213
08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
People who carry unloaded firearms openly.... could be Osama Bin Laden....

http://pakalert.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/binladinhamid.jpg
"I UOC my AK pistol all the time, damn you Brady's for thwarting my evil plans!!!!!"

gun toting monkeyboy
08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
"They may be angry or volatile" In a Starbucks? Of course. You would be too if you needed your caffine fix, and saw the prices they charged.

jdberger
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Could someone please email her back and request more information?

I would, but I don't want to use up all my spoof email accounts.

Be polite. Be eager. Use terms like "sensible", "commonsense", "stand up to the bigots in the NRA", etc.

Wouldn't it be fun if we all showed up wearing our Brady Campaign shirts?

OneSevenDeuce
08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Anyone ever seen Protest Warrior? I'm thinking this is ripe for something along those lines.

Ding126
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Is the NRA or CGF going to attend? Who will speak in an educated tone to represent all lawful owners.

diginit
08-03-2010, 7:23 PM
I have to work, as usual, But I hope whoever speaks for our RTB makes a point to explain that LE is paid to "protect" the interests of the city they serve and to enforce the laws. They have NO responsibility to "protect " us, As Sad ana claims they will.
LE has never been around when my girlfriend and I needed them. I doubt that will change with all the LE layoffs. But at least my girlfriend was greatfull that the 4 F'n cowardly jerk criminal bastards didn't get their way with her...I'm greatfull also.
But that's another story and off topic...
Please let our legislature (and I use that term loosely) know that if this bill is passed, It will turn honest citizens interested only in self defence and the defence of those that cannot defend themselves into criminals because most will carry concieled and loaded like criminals already do. But will probably think twice before helping someone other than themselves. Pretty sad, Sad ana.
My Signature says it better than I can. J.

Ding126
08-03-2010, 7:39 PM
LE are there to make a report and take notes after the fact. Not to prevent crime but to react during or after the crime.

Like the FD, they are called after the fact and not driving around looking for fires.

hoffmang
08-03-2010, 7:51 PM
I'm so happy McCarty lost and I can't wait for his term to be over...

-Gene

KylaGWolf
08-03-2010, 8:20 PM
I love how they always lump everybody together - you want to carry a gun so that you may protect yourself any possibly others? Well then you must be an angry, untrained nutbag who has never handled a firearm in an adverse situation.
Yeah, that's one interpretation. Or maybe you could have been trained in the use of firearms by several organizations over the course of your life and have a very good idea of how to shoot under pressure. I'm pretty sure the Marines taught me how to shoot under pressure and identify my targets properly. I'm pretty sure they taught me about discipline too - so that even if I am offended at the fact that certain people may wish to further deprive us of our RKBA, I'm not about to let that turn me into a raving homicidal maniac - I'll leave that to crazy professors and jihadists.
That said, while I believe in people having the right to UOC, I don't particularly believe in it being a useful tool myself - you have to draw, load, aim and fire - by that time the bad guy is already on top of you (if unarmed) or you are already bleeding out and dying because you identified yourself as the prime target by being the most obvious threat in the area (if they are carrying themselves). UOC only deters those who irrationally fear guns in the first place. I'd much rather see CCW reform - had an uncle who was a chief, he wouldn't issue because it might look like nepotism. I know my own chief personally (good guy, generally speaking), and he won't issue because they leave that to the county Sheriff (city policy) - although I may have to try revisiting that now that RKBA is a fundamental right and one of the core purposes of that right is for self defense (thank you Mr. McDonald).

Here is the deal I can still load and shoot from UOC faster than I can to run away if the situation goes south. And most that UOC practice in how they can load fast if needed. I think it is something in the area of two seconds that some have timed it takes to go from draw to load if needed.

Oh and the whole you identify yourself as a target is a bit of FUD too. As a matter of fact there have been cases where a bad guy sees the open carrier and then goes somewhere else to commit the crime. OK granted in those states they are allowed to carry loaded but I digress.

GuyW
08-03-2010, 10:46 PM
LE are there to make a report and take notes after the fact. Not to prevent crime but to react during or after the crime.

Like the FD, they are called after the fact and not driving around looking for fires.

OK, be nice - they do intensively discuss and analyze the incidents over coffee and donuts....

Oh - and they feel reeall bad that y'all got f%^^&-ep by the criminals...