PDA

View Full Version : How to store ammo?????

UnitedWeStand
08-03-2010, 8:31 AM
What is the best way to store your ammo. I've seen some people leaves them in the original box and stack them, and I've seen people who just empty it into ammo cans. :confused:

MrPlutonium
08-03-2010, 8:34 AM
In a cool, dry place.

Got10/22?
08-03-2010, 8:36 AM
I store all my ammo & reloading stuff (bullets, primers, powder-separately of course), in ammo cans.

iareConfusE
08-03-2010, 8:36 AM
I keep mine in a decently sized plastic ammo box with little packs of dessicant in it.

trickyvic
08-03-2010, 8:46 AM
I store all of my ammo with original packaging in ammo cans.

stitchnicklas
in a ammunition magazine in the garage

Reductio
Military surplus metal can for brass, shotgun ammo in Cabela's plastic ones. I found that if you load one of the plastic ones full of 7.62x39 or 5.56 they won't hold a good seal, and will flex a LOT when you try to pick it up.

You can just get a pound or two of desiccant from Michael's with a coupon sometime, cheap and more than you'll ever need.

bjl333
08-03-2010, 8:48 AM
Generally in a cabinet in the garage will be fine. Unless you live by the coast with high humidity, then put it in an additional plastic container to keep out the moisture.

XYZ
08-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Generally in a cabinet in the garage will be fine. Unless you live by the coast with high humidity, then put it in an additional plastic container to keep out the moisture.

In addition to adding some desiccant packs. Which *cough, cough* shameless promotion *cough there are some available here :).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=320021&highlight=desiccant

Got10/22?
08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
You can just get a pound or two of desiccant from Michael's with a coupon sometime, cheap and more than you'll ever need.

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize they sell this stuff.

Reductio
08-03-2010, 10:08 AM
I didn't either, had a friend mention she was going to dry some flowers in the stuff. It's back in that area, and you can always get a 40% or 50% off coupon online or in the paper. Good deal really.

rojocorsa
08-03-2010, 11:38 AM
The ammo cans work just fine for routine ammo storage. Make sure they have a good seal.

kapache
08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I put all my Ammo on separate ammo can's(label according to the type of ammo) on a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.

Lucky Scott
08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Original boxes, in a military ammo box, with a few packs of des. thrown in.
Should last for years.

Milsurps
08-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Good condition steel or plastic ammo cans in a cool dry place. :)

Rivers
08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
To avoid issues with moisture coming up from the concrete, I used some extra metal wire shelving on bricks. Then I stacked the ammo boxes and cans on the shelves. The air space under the shelves should keep the moisture from the packaging. And I'm safe in case the nearby sink ever overflows.

HotRails
08-03-2010, 6:04 PM
I put all my Ammo on separate ammo can's(label according to the type of ammo) on a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.

This. + label each can as magnetic or not, so you don't take the wrong one to the shooting range. :D

CaliforniaLiberal
08-03-2010, 11:12 PM
In a cool, dry place.

This.

I like to keep it in the original boxes, if any, to easily know what bullet weight, brand, and other information.

And it seems like a bad idea to bang it around a lot like leaving it in the trunk of the car.

There doesn't seem to be a shelf life that anyone has found so far. Folks have shot 80 year old ammo that was not abused and it worked just fine.

rojocorsa
08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I've even seen 90 yr old .30-40 Krag that worked. Only downside was that the primers were a tad slow. You could hear the full "click" before the charge detonated.

smle-man
08-04-2010, 8:31 AM
GI ammo cans elevated from the floor to allow air circulation and stop moisture transfer. In an aluminum shed with a turbine spinner and a vent for air circulation. The underside of the shed roof is insulated and the shed is in the shade most of the day. It is also guarded by fierce pitbulls so don't plan on trying to rip it off!

Decoligny
08-04-2010, 9:51 AM
Sealed in 24" long, 6" diameter PVC pipe, with dessicant, buried in various accessible locations known to only me. :TFH::TFH::TFH:

The zombies only like to dig up out of the ground, so the ammo sould be safe.

wsmc27
08-04-2010, 9:56 AM
GI ammo cans elevated from the floor to allow air circulation and stop moisture transfer. In an aluminum shed with a turbine spinner and a vent for air circulation. The underside of the shed roof is insulated and the shed is in the shade most of the day. It is also guarded by fierce pitbulls so don't plan on trying to rip it off!

NICE!

:D

CaliforniaLiberal
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Sealed in 24" long, 6" diameter PVC pipe, with dessicant, buried in various accessible locations known to only me. :TFH::TFH::TFH:

The zombies only like to dig up out of the ground, so the ammo sould be safe.

Hey, would you care to share with us where you can get 6" PVC? I've found 4" at the hardware store but I could put a lot more in a 6" pipe.

Thanks.

Reductio
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Knock yourself out. (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23979&catid=727) :D

robcoe
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Except for my 7.62x54 and 12 ga rounds(which I store in metal ammo cans with desiccant and duct tape over any cracks) I use my ammo to regularly(I shoot everything I have every 2 months or so) to bother with any special precautions when storing it.

Decoligny
08-05-2010, 9:42 AM
Hey, would you care to share with us where you can get 6" PVC? I've found 4" at the hardware store but I could put a lot more in a 6" pipe.

Thanks.

These guys have it in diameters up to 24".

Properly prepared and sealed, PVC pipe makes great cache containers.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23979&clickid=redirect

j1133s
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
What is the best way to store your ammo. I've seen some people leaves them in the original box and stack them, and I've seen people who just empty it into ammo cans. :confused:

Freeze them, they'll stay fresh longer.
Do not use the microwave to defrost! Let them thaw at romm temp.

bballwizard05
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
One in chamber, 9 hanging below is how I store mine!!!!

just ammo cans, the metal ones, usually in original boxes

joedogboy
08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
For long term storage - Metal ammo cans or plastic ammo boxes (when I get bulk surplus ammo, I generally only open the sealed tins as I need to).
Reloaded ammunition generally goes into 50 or 100 round plastic boxes, but I will sometimes do short term bulk storage of loose rounds in an ammo can.

I store some ammo in a locked closet, some in the gun cabinet that I used for my rifles before I upgraded to a safe, some in a large locked utility tub, and the bulk in boxes/cans stacked on shelving.

For the ones in the basement/garage, having them on shelving such as this is helpful.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15685751

UnitedWeStand
08-05-2010, 1:19 PM
Original boxes, in a military ammo box, with a few packs of des. thrown in.
Should last for years.

We have a winner. Thanks for all the tips guys.