PDA

View Full Version : Re registering a reported stolen pistol found after 13 years?

kel-tec-innovations
08-02-2010, 9:38 PM
My friend a retired Police K-9 handler lost his beloved Desert Eagle .44 mag 13 years ago when he moved and could not find it so he filed the pistol as stolen by the movers at Riverside Police Department. 13 years later he was cleaning up his storage he found his Desert Eagle in a dusty box of reloading equipment under all the empty brass.

He came to me for advise on what to do.

1. Does he contact the police department that he found his stolen pistol? or the DOJ or ATF?

He currently lives in Beaumont so if he needs to contact the police department would it be the Riverside PD or the Beaumont PD?

2. Does he have to pay a fee to re register it? or just fill out a form?

3. Does he need to retake the HSC to own his pistol once again?

Meplat
08-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I would contact the department where I reported it stolen and say OOPS! I found it.

If he has to pay back the insurance company that’s OK, if it ever gets into the system again in his possession it could be very awkward.

My friend a retired Police K-9 handler lost his beloved Desert Eagle .44 mag 13 years ago when he moved and could not find it so he filed the pistol as stolen by the movers at Riverside Police Department. 13 years later he was cleaning up his storage he found his Desert Eagle in a dusty box of reloading equipment under all the empty brass.

He came to me for advise on what to do.

1. Does he contact the police department that he found his stolen pistol? or the DOJ or ATF?

He currently lives in Beaumont so if he needs to contact the police department would it be the Riverside PD or the Beaumont PD?

2. Does he have to pay a fee to re register it? or just fill out a form?

thayne
08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
wow thats better than finding money in an old coat pocket!

Id call the agency he reported it stolen to and DOJ.

Crom
08-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Contact the department where it was reported lost/stolen. Fill out the paperwork, then use this form for the DOJ:

Firearm Ownership Record (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf)http://ag.ca.gov/images/pdficon.gif [PDF 53 kb / 2 pg]

kel-tec-innovations
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks guys, yea I'm very when I find money, but a Desert Eagle .44 mag :party:

SVT-40
08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Actually all he should have to do is make a follow up report with the original agency he reported the pistol stolen to. They will do a "locate" on the gun and remove it from the CLETS AFS system as a "stolen" and show it as a "recovered". The original DROS is still there as it's not removed when the owner reports it stolen.

So nothing else should be needed.

Ron-Solo
08-03-2010, 3:40 PM
Actually all he should have to do is make a follow up report with the original agency he reported the pistol stolen to. They will do a "locate" on the gun and remove it from the CLETS AFS system as a "stolen" and show it as a "recovered". The original DROS is still there as it's not removed when the owner reports it stolen.

This is accurate.

dantodd
08-03-2010, 4:16 PM
As someone else also suggested, he needs to get in touch with his insurance if they paid a claim on the weapon. If the movers paid a claim he needs to make a good faith effort to contact them or their insurance carrier; whichever paid the claim to him.

Crom
08-03-2010, 4:22 PM

Good to know!

cmth
08-03-2010, 5:38 PM

HSC is not a permit to own a gun.

morfeeis
08-03-2010, 8:13 PM

thats what i would do and soon.... i'd do it before i took it out too.