PDA

View Full Version : Nesting

Stephd2271
08-02-2010, 9:25 PM
I'm looking to start a list of things that I might need to have when I finally decide to move out of my parents!

Do you ladies have any ideas of essentials that the first-timers often over look?

So far I've bought cooking utensils, plate/bowl/cup set, bed-in-a-bag, & some decorative stuff.

novabrian
08-02-2010, 9:58 PM
I'm not a female but I would recommend good pots and pans.Even if you don't cook get some.,Frying pan,sauce pan,pots to boil water in.Go to target or .99 cent store or wherever and go crazy.Spatulas,whisk,good set of knives,Tupperware.Cleaning supplies.Mops,broom dust pan.Cleaning chemicals.The list is endless.

hypnoman
08-02-2010, 11:10 PM
since this is a gun forum . . . I would suggest firearms and adequate amount of ammo . . . just kidding . . . please forgive I ain't no lady, either . . .

Steyrlp10
08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
To the OP: I think you're on the right track with the essential basics for starters. My oldest kid knows his mom is a wimp and folds easily so even though he's in a house of his own, he periodically gets his fridge filled by mommy, the laundry done, and receives numerous texts that it's time for a hair cut :)

On the gun issue, yes! Get a safe and fill that as efficiently as you do the fridge!

8bitnintendo
08-03-2010, 1:24 PM
A laundry basket, lighting (you'll probably want at least one lamp, some apartments don't have overhead lights in all rooms), kitchen and bathroom trash cans, kitchen and bath towels, fire extinguisher, measuring cups and spoons, can and bottle openers, hammer, screwdrivers, wrench, duct tape...

Steyrlp10
08-03-2010, 2:08 PM
A laundry basket, lighting (you'll probably want at least one lamp, some apartments don't have overhead lights in all rooms), kitchen and bathroom trash cans, kitchen and bath towels, fire extinguisher, measuring cups and spoons, can and bottle openers, hammer, screwdrivers, wrench, duct tape...

-- and duct tape comes in assorted colors!

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2010, 2:20 PM
-- and duct tape comes in assorted colors!

Kinky!

The first thing on your list should be TP! It's much easier on your skin than duct tapes! My suggestion is DO NOT go buy a bunch of stuff before you move. Move first. Bring some very basic stuff and a few extra rolls of TP. Within a few days, you will start wanting, missing or needing certain items. You can go to the store and buy them as you need them. This will save you money since, you won't be buying a bunch of crap that you'll never use. Oh, since you're a female, I'd suggest buying a new sponge, comet or ajax and a toilet brush too. For some reason, females tend to like to clean things.

Steyrlp10
08-03-2010, 2:52 PM
For some reason, females tend to like to clean things.

Lol -- good try at that subliminal stuff!

DVSmith
08-03-2010, 2:56 PM
Portable BBQ and a good set of tongs a pillow and a sleeping bag, some paper plates, paper towels and disposable cups, plastic knives and forks, If you like cereal, paper bowls and plastic spoons. You can live with those items alone very comfortably for a very long time. Add meat, veggies and canned beans, beer and milk as necessary.

pieeater
08-03-2010, 4:57 PM
Id really network and let people know you are looking for stuff. When we first started out I didnt buy anything all are furniture and just about everything else was hand me downs.

mosinnagantm9130
08-04-2010, 12:06 AM
TP. Pack it last, so it comes out first.

G-forceJunkie
08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
GoodWill is your friend for the odds and ends you realize are not around the house when you first move out on your own. Dumb things like a can opener you take for granted as always being in the kitchen drawer!

bruceflinch
08-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Make of list of stuff you need. Buy what you need first & then wahat you need later.

Try freecycle.org & login to your local zipcode. All kinds of free stuff to give & take. Free website & all items are free.

GunNutz
08-04-2010, 1:26 PM
1. A couple of grand in emergency cash.
2. Utensils already mentioned above.
3. Lingerie (hey, I'm a guy so I'm looking out for the rest of the gents' interests :D)
4. Microwave

OliveCookieMonsta
08-04-2010, 7:07 PM
Foil, microwave, gotta have transportation, think about Costco membership... One large thing of tp last me like 3 months!, cable, phone, ... Extra cash or cc.. U'll need it after first and last months rent and deposit! I sweAr getting starting is tough.

OliveCookieMonsta
08-04-2010, 7:08 PM
Oh soap!!! Dish, body and laundry! Have fun and good luck!

Stephd2271
08-05-2010, 1:29 AM
Try freecycle.org & login to your local zipcode.

Went there, signed up, logged in.. Now I have to wait for my "group" to get approved before I can see any details on things in my area... Not sure how long it will take but thanks it seems like a really great site!

I went to Walmart & browsed their back to school/college sections & there are some pretty good items & very decent prices! I've also been trying to compile a list & it's gotten quite long so I won't post it now.

As for GUNS! I'm thinking Glock 26, 12 gauge shot gun, and a rifle! :gunsmilie:

My laptop died recently & I need to get a new one for school, that should set me back $500-$600 easy..

masameet
08-05-2010, 5:06 AM
Also check out Craiglist's Free section. (http://redding.craigslist.org/zip/)

If you like cats, you'll most likely need to get a litter box and some clumping litter for your new kitty. :)

If you're into cooking and preparing your food, for knives you basically need three good ones -- a 10-inch chef's knife, a 4-inch paring knife, and a bread knife. Don't get the cheap stuff. Go for weight, strength and balance. A 1.5-inch thick maple cutting board that has a deep channel running about an inch in from the edge (to catch water from rinsed veggies and fruit and blood from meat/chicken) would be the ideal board. And a good sharpening stone would keep the knives' edges (use water, not oil).

Plus cook books! Even with easy access to recipes via the internet, having a few cook books on hand and on the counter help to make one become a better cook. You can check 'em out of the local public library, try the recipes, and then figure out which books to buy/get as gifts.

Also consider a portable drill and some bits for installing drapes and drilling holes (for nails) into window and sliding door sashes. A hammer would come in handy too.

And don't forget a good iron and ironing board.

Sajedene
08-05-2010, 9:03 AM
Best of luck! Seems like everyone listed all the essentials.

novabrian
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
To the OP: I think you're on the right track with the essential basics for starters. My oldest kid knows his mom is a wimp and folds easily so even though he's in a house of his own, he periodically gets his fridge filled by mommy, the laundry done, and receives numerous texts that it's time for a hair cut :)

On the gun issue, yes! Get a safe and fill that as efficiently as you do the fridge!

I have a friend like this.He is older than I am.Owns a town house and his parents still shop for him.Hold his hand when he refinanced his house the whole way through.They go out of there way to buy him clothes.I just shake my head in disbelief.

Steyrlp10
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a friend like this.He is older than I am.Owns a town house and his parents still shop for him.Hold his hand when he refinanced his house the whole way through.They go out of there way to buy him clothes.I just shake my head in disbelief.

It's Chinese, what can I say?

Since his roommate's mom is on a limited budget, the boys don't complain. Besides, it's my deniros. Both their biological fathers are out of the picture and never lifted a finger, so I do double-time to make sure the kids are secure.

j1133s
08-05-2010, 3:04 PM
Also check out Craiglist's Free section. (http://redding.craigslist.org/zip/)

If you like cats, you'll most likely need to get a litter box and some clumping litter for your new kitty. :)
ard.

No need for the litter box if you make frequent enough range trips. Those free cats can run, but they can't run faster than a speeding bullet.

Also, the most important thing to get when living by yourself is a powerful microwave.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-05-2010, 3:06 PM
Just get a man. They are naive and will supply everything.:D

glockwise2000
08-05-2010, 5:37 PM
Not a lady, but I would say bed or futon for you to sleep. Pair that with pillows and sheets.

Stephd2271
08-05-2010, 6:06 PM
Just get a man. They are naive and will supply everything.:D

:rofl2:

Oh boy! lol You made a funny! :D

asnlady
08-09-2010, 5:05 PM
Dont forget the restroom! Soaps, tp, cleaning supplies, etc

wellfedirishman
08-09-2010, 9:30 PM
Ikea has lots of good basic stuff for cheap. You could furnish a kitchen and bathroom for next to nothing using their items. It looks pretty good too, if you like modern youthful style.

Bobula
08-09-2010, 9:39 PM
I 2nd ikea for kitchen stuff and Frys electronics for appliances. I got my rice cooker for $9 at frys and dish sets for $21 at ikea.

Stephd2271
08-09-2010, 9:45 PM
Sweet! Thanks guys/gals! Is there any place that has decent prices on big furniture? I still need to price out a bed frame & a couch. I'm planning on thrift shopping for as much furniture as I can, I can sand it down & refinish it myself.

aaronraby1
08-09-2010, 9:52 PM
toilet paper.
towels.
cleaning supplies.
laundry and dish soap.

somoene on this forum was selling a fridge and dryer for a great deal! search for it! maybe youll swoop that up.

LadyShooter
08-15-2010, 1:25 AM
When you buy a mattress set the frame is free. The headboard is extra. Ikea has great stuff. I like that you can buy 1 bowl, 1 plate, etc. When the kids, or husband break one I don't have to buy a whole new set. ;)

Good luck!

l_Z_l
08-15-2010, 2:14 AM
get one of those electric water kettle (doesn't need to be an expensive one unless that's what you want. a cheapie one works just fine) it's great for tea and instant coffee. i usually use it to make instant noodles but that's cuz i'm lazy n i like the cup kind.

maxmonster
08-15-2010, 9:40 AM
I'm not a chick... but... maybe try out IKEA? I went there last year with 2 lady friends of mine and they spent like 5 hours there...

EDIT: woops! I didn't see someone already suggested IKEA. In that case I second IKEA!