PDA

View Full Version : Buying out of state handgun requirements

wuneyewilly
08-02-2010, 6:11 PM
So I did search first, but couldnt conclusively find accurate info.

I want to buy a handgun off Gunbroker. The owner lives outside of California.

I have checked the Roster of Hanguns Certified for Sale and it is on the list until EOY 2010.

My FFL will accept Private Party Transfers, but needs a copy of seller's picture DL. My FFL will send him a copy of his FFL.

This is where I am uninformed.

I think seller can only ship via USPS and has to be accelerated delivery?

What else am I missing? I understand I still need to DROS and wait 10 days after FFL receives handgun, unlike a rifle once in route. Do I pay taxes to FFL? Anything I dont know to ask?

Thanks in advance, and hope I picked a viable forum...

Cyc Wid It
08-02-2010, 6:17 PM
It won't qualify as a PPT so you'll have to pay your dealer's transfer fee + DROS. The seller has to overnight the gun to your FFL. You should also check if your FFL will receive from private individuals or only from other FFLs.

Are you buying from an individual or an out of state FFL? Make sure you have a HSC or take it when you do the paperwork?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-02-2010, 6:18 PM
...I think seller can only ship via USPS and has to be accelerated delivery?

Only licensed dealers and licensed manufacturers can ship handguns via the USPS, and only if they are shipping to another licensed dealer or licensed manufacturer. If the seller is going to ship it himself he needs to use UPS or FedEx Express. Both UPS and FedEx Express require individuals to ship handguns via one of their next day service levels, so it will probably cost over $60 to ship the handgun.

wuneyewilly
08-02-2010, 6:52 PM
Thanks Cyc & Mssr.

Understood that I'll have to pay the FFL transfer fee and DROS.

It is an individual, out of state, sending it to my FFL in CA. I do have my HSC and a safe, so I'll expect to fill out the safe waiver.

So the seller will have to use UPS or FedEx and overnight it? Does the carrier perform any inspection (not that legality is even a question, but for knowledge)?

What is the seller supposed to do with the copy of the FFL sent to him?

Anybody have lessons learned the hard way or things to consider, anything else I should know?

Librarian
08-02-2010, 8:15 PM
Thanks Cyc & Mssr.

Understood that I'll have to pay the FFL transfer fee and DROS.

It is an individual, out of state, sending it to my FFL in CA. I do have my HSC and a safe, so I'll expect to fill out the safe waiver.

So the seller will have to use UPS or FedEx and overnight it? Does the carrier perform any inspection (not that legality is even a question, but for knowledge)?

What is the seller supposed to do with the copy of the FFL sent to him?

Anybody have lessons learned the hard way or things to consider, anything else I should know?

Safe will not work for a handgun for Feds (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws) - it would be fine for CA.

Cyc Wid It
08-02-2010, 8:20 PM
I don't know about the carrier inspection, they probably make sure it's not loaded before he ships it though (I was on the receiving end of an out of state gun so I'm not exactly sure). As far as paperwork for the seller, well, my FFL took care of that. He will have to overnight it though, probably around $50 to $60. You should make sure you have a safe way of sending payment too to make sure you don't get ripped off. I went the leap of faith route and it worked out okay but it's probably not the best idea.

Ron-Solo
08-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I've shipped handguns via UPS before. You must use one of their next day services and they will ask if it is unloaded. Mine was already sealed in the box so they did not inspect it. It cost $65 to ship one to Georgia

wuneyewilly
08-03-2010, 6:41 AM
Does the handgun need to be shipped locked? If so, the keys would likely be in the package too. PLease let me know if I left anything out or misarranged procession.

So in summation, here's the order:

Check Roster of Certified Handguns for California, verify on list and not expired

Send funds to seller

FFL sends copy of license to seller

Seller ensures unloaded, packages with copy of pictured DL and ships overnight via UPS (perhaps FedEx too)

FFL receives handgun, verifies legality, and then I go in to start paperwork (DROS) and submit fees (transfer & DROS)

10 days later, I can receive the handgun (after handling demonstration)

Anything else?

wuneyewilly
08-03-2010, 6:46 AM
Forgot a Q...what is the safest means of payment that would have any recourse so I dont get robbed? The seller doesnt have credit card capabilities.

fishhoppa
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Forgot a Q...what is the safest means of payment that would have any recourse so I dont get robbed? The seller doesnt have credit card capabilities.

discrete ppal...or take your chances with gpal at the moment.

Anything else outside of credit cards / ppal / gpal, I would look at the seller's history on the auction site or i-trader here on calguns (if they've done any transactions) for reliablility.

Good Luck