View Full Version : Question about proving residency

08-02-2010, 4:00 PM
I have to show residency but I live with a family member who pays the utilities; so my question is does the name on the bill have to be yours even if i was to have my family backup that I live there? btw I'm in California

08-02-2010, 4:03 PM
Residency for what? Buying a gun? CCW?

08-02-2010, 5:35 PM
From DOJ
Dear Mr. ********:

In regard to your e-mail inquiry, as long as the *** card contains all of the following, it would be an acceptable form of proof of residency:

"A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto."

Another form of proof of residency you could do is have your wife write up a contract/agreement stating that you live with her (it would have to include your name and the address would have to match the address on your ID or DROS form).

Should you have any further questions, you may contact the Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887.


Leslie McGovern, Analyst
Bureau of Firearms

08-02-2010, 5:49 PM
In my experience there is a big difference in how different gun dealers answer your proof of residency question. They tend to be stubborn even when (especially when) shown the text of the law.

I'd check first with the gun shop you intend to buy from and follow their rules. Their sandbox, their rules.

One shop I've bought from in the past that will remain nameless (AHEMCOUGH wildsports COUGH) wouldn't accept the government issued ID that I had on me at the time but did accept the fishing license that they suggested I walk across the store and buy. Had my address right on there where I wrote it myself.

Just ask.

08-02-2010, 5:49 PM
Take a look at this thread.


Some FFL's like Ade's (unless their policy changed) will not accept a Utah CCW for handgun proof of residency while others will. I would call and ask in advance.

08-02-2010, 6:03 PM
I've experienced the whole spectrum from 1 month cable bill to requiring three previous concurring utility bills (most current).