PDA

View Full Version : threaded barrel welded?

08-02-2010, 4:56 PM
in california,can a threaded barrel,which is considered evil,
be permanently modified by welding a compensator(not a flash hider)
onto it thereby removing the threat of any suppressor or other device
to ever be attached?
i have inquired with doj,and have received different answers,
mostly that it is a "gray"area.
actually just trying to make it legal.
anybody know?

misterjake
08-02-2010, 5:07 PM
in california,can a threaded barrel,which is considered evil,
be permanently modified by welding a compensator(not a flash hider)
onto it thereby removing the threat of any suppressor or other device
to ever be attached?
i have inquired with doj,and have received different answers,
mostly that it is a "gray"area.
actually just trying to make it legal.
anybody know?

I was under the "assumption" let me rephrase "assumption" that if you have a BB installed you can have all the evil features you want as long as your magazine is 10 rounds or under.

dfletcher
08-02-2010, 5:24 PM
A threaded barrel on a rifle of any sort is perfectly legal and not an "evil feature" - or are you speaking of a threaded barrel on a semi automatic handgun?

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2010, 5:38 PM
How is a "threaded barrel" considered "evil" on a rifle? You are getting and giving some real bad info here.

Fjold
08-02-2010, 5:47 PM
He may be talking about a pistol.

ke6guj
08-02-2010, 6:12 PM
He may be talking about a pistol.per his other posts, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4594629#post4594629 , it appears that he is talking about a threaded barrel on a semi-automatic pistol that has a detachable magazine.

08-02-2010, 6:14 PM
my apologies,
not intending to give out bad info,
weapon is
a semi automatic pistol(non-roster)law enforcement.

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2010, 6:19 PM
Sorry for the cofusion. There are a few ways you can go. Can you get your Dept. to authorize you to get the gun as an AW? If so, that solves all your problems. If not, would you rather have a ten round fixed magazine and a threaded barrel or would you rather give up the threaded barrel? If you want to give up the threaded barrel, you can buy a non threaded replacement barrel and keep the other one for "later". Or, you can permanently alter ther threads so that they are removed or permanently covered. Silver solder or blind pinning are two great ways of permanently affixing an attachment or thread protector to the barrel in question.

cmth
08-02-2010, 6:49 PM
A magazine lock, paired with a 10 round magazine is also an acceptable method for rendering the handgun exempt from the AW ban. This would give you a similar situation to a "bullet button" equipped rifle, and allow you to keep the threaded barrel.

(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon
without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location
outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

08-02-2010, 7:22 PM
i just am curious,
if you can add a "bullet button" to one of the several ar15 trendy
rifles,or pin a folding stock to make that firearm legal,
then no one can weld a compensator
to a threaded pistol barrel?
why not?
just asking for advice or someones experience,
tried,
new to forum
appears more time spent on my prior two or three posts,then anything.

woodey
08-02-2010, 7:24 PM
I've woundered if this were on you non threaded barrel would you be legal for a pistol?
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/woodey123/2fd1a714703b4a983e738db1d70d2146image112x1201.jpg

cmth
08-02-2010, 7:29 PM
Surely, you can weld a device onto the threads to make the threads inert. You can also have the threaded portion of the barrel cut off, or the threads turned down to nothing. Those are all acceptable. I was merely suggesting a method of nullifying the status of the handgun as an assault weapon that would not necessarily be permanent.

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2010, 7:31 PM
i just am curious,
if you can add a "bullet button" to one of the several ar15 trendy
rifles,or pin a folding stock to make that firearm legal,
then no one can weld a compensator
to a threaded pistol barrel?
why not?
just asking for advice or someones experience,
tried,
new to forum
appears more time spent on my prior two or three posts,then anything.

I'm not following you. It would be legal to weld, blind pin or silver solder a muzzle devise to the barrel.

08-02-2010, 7:38 PM
i appreciate that,an LEO, active,in ca.,can have a large capacity magazine.
that is whats so frustrating,firearm has no forward grip,no heat shield,magazine is within single pistol grip,no stock attachment,if threads are gone by comp.weld,what makes it an assault weapon?

ke6guj
08-02-2010, 7:54 PM
i appreciate that,an LEO, active,in ca.,can have a large capacity magazine.
that is whats so frustrating,firearm has no forward grip,no heat shield,magazine is within single pistol grip,no stock attachment,if threads are gone by comp.weld,what makes it an assault weapon?it wouldn't be.

Look at the handgun AW ID flowchart for more info.

08-02-2010, 8:04 PM
i hope your right,
i was going to blue locktight it or as one of you guys suggested silver solder
it,but if they think i can readily remove it,its considered aw.
probably weld the best i can.

be glad as gun owners that you do not live in liberal california.
you cannot get a straight answer here,even from the folks that are supposed to know,they sure will cite you in a heartbeat if they believe you are violating
their rules.
thank you all for the advice.

ke6guj
08-02-2010, 8:11 PM
i hope your right,
i was going to blue locktight it or as one of you guys suggested silver solder
it,but if they think i can readily remove it,its considered aw.
probably weld the best i can.

I wouldn't suggest blue loctite, even though CADOJ allows S&W to use Red Loctite on the threads of the P22 CA version to make it a non-AW.

I would suggest something permanent, so that it wouldn't be considered a threaded barrel. Hi temp silver solder or a pin/weld combo should be fine.

many CA dealers sell handguns that have permanently attached muzzle devices to render them non-AWs.

be glad as gun owners that you do not live in liberal california.huh?

Sniper3142
08-02-2010, 8:22 PM
One of the reasons most do not weld or otherwise permanently attach the flash hider, muzzle brake, or anything else to a pistol barrel is because doing that, usually makes it impossible to disassemble the firearm (unlike a rifle for the most part).

:(

MindBuilder
08-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I would worry that the heat of welding or soldering something onto the barrel might weaken the steel and make the barrel dangerous. Actually I think it would probably not be a problem, but I would check first. And it might vary from gun to gun depending on barrel thickness, tempering, pressures, etc. I was surprised to learn that some steels, like piano wire springs, can be softened and ruined at temperatures as low as 400degF.

Rossi357
08-03-2010, 12:47 AM
I have a Tec .22, that currently resides in AZ with a friend of mine. It as a threaded barrel with a thread cover. The mag doesn't load in the grip. It came with a 30 rd mag. I bought it pre ban. Is it legal?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-03-2010, 1:10 AM
I have a Tec .22, that currently resides in AZ with a friend of mine. It as a threaded barrel with a thread cover. The mag doesn't load in the grip. It came with a 30 rd mag. I bought it pre ban. Is it legal?

Since it is a semi-automatic pistol with a magazine that is not contained in the pistol grip, a magazine lock must be installed before the pistol can legally be brought into California. This changes the pistol into one which does not have a "removable magazine". See the Calguns Handgun AW ID Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf). Once this is done, you may not insert magazines of greater than 10 rounds' capacity into this pistol while within CA.

If you possessed the magazine in California prior to 2000, you can bring it back to CA. Otherwise, you may not unless it can be disassembled into a "parts kit", and you may not legally reassemble it in CA, but can use the parts to repair a magazine that you possessed in CA prior to 2000.

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2010, 9:27 AM

You bought it pre which ban? Federal or state? If you bought it pre California AW ban AND you did your own AW registration paperwork which YOU mailed to DOJ then, yes, it is legal here. Otherwise, it's not unless, you remove the threads and put a mag lock on it.

Oceanbob
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
One of the reasons most do not weld or otherwise permanently attach the flash hider, muzzle brake, or anything else to a pistol barrel is because doing that, usually makes it impossible to disassemble the firearm (unlike a rifle for the most part).

:(

Say I'am willing to buy a extended stainless barrel, insert it in my GLOCK 20 slide and TIG WELD a stainless Flash Hider on the end. No threads at all.

Is this legal in Californistan? (Flash hiders?)

(the barrel is 6 inches long and obviously cannot be removed from the slide; however it's long enough to easily clean and move around in the slide)

But can I do this?