View Full Version : DROS'd Stripped Rcvr., 2nd DROS if built up?

08-02-2010, 10:42 AM
A semiauto rifle stripped receiver is purchased through a California dealer. 4473 and DROS (as long gun) processed. Owner holds receiver for a year, decides that the build is beyond his abilities. Asks a Nevada FFL / Gunsmith to build up the gun using a parts kit and the duly processed stripped receiver. NV gunsmith agrees to build up the rifle as a California legal semiauto centerfire firearm, but wants to send it through an FFL in California. The NV dealer is unsure if it is legal for him to send the completed gun directly back to the customer.

I did a search here but could not find a similar situation. I know for tradional repairs / fixits you can send the gun back to the customer but what about a build-up?

Any guidance appreciated.

08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
The receiver has already been DROSed and lawfully transfered. There is no requirement to send it through a dealer. If the customer can send it directly to the gunsmith, FFL, or repair facility, then they can turn around and send it back the same as long as the serial number hasn't changed.

08-02-2010, 3:23 PM
I agree with Wes. It is the same as adding parts, the firearm is the same and nothing has changed with respect to the serial number. The should not be a problem unless it is shipped back in an illegal configuration.

Consider that the upper can be shipped to a non-FFL, so the issue is only with the lower, which is considered the firearm.

08-02-2010, 4:21 PM
That's what I thought. The gun will be California legal when built up. THANK YOU.