PDA

View Full Version : Out of state ccw: the possibilities thereof

Plasmamist
08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Pretty simple question. Is there any possibility of a person who is a non resident to get a ccw? I already know about the whole 'good cause' thing but what about people without a residence in California?

I really want to investigate this here:

Is there a county that could possibly allow this?

Is the issuance of out of state ccws in California regulated by the state or can a Sheriff decide to issue them if they want?

Has someone tried to submit paperwork with their out-of-state residence an gotten a confused look from some county clerk?

Discuss - comments welcome on the situation as well as information.

Doheny
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
You need to live in the county that issues the CCW. Absolutely no chance of getting one if you don't have a residence in CA.

Big Jake
08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
You need to live in the county that issues the CCW. Absolutely no chance of getting one if you don't have a residence in CA.

This, plain and simple!

Plasmamist
08-02-2010, 1:16 PM
This, plain and simple!

Mmm, ok - just so we can beat the heck out of this:

Can I see some documentation?
A section of California PC?
A judges court opinion?
Perhaps some wording on the ccw paperwork?

Also, what is used to establish residency in California?

ke6guj
08-02-2010, 1:33 PM
Mmm, ok - just so we can beat the heck out of this:

Can I see some documentation?
A section of California PC?
A judges court opinion?
Perhaps some wording on the ccw paperwork?

Also, what is used to establish residency in California?

here you go:

12050. (a)(1)(A) The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(D) For the purpose of subparagraph (A), the applicant shall satisfy any one of the following:
(i) Is a resident of the county or a city within the county.
(ii) Spends a substantial period of time in the applicant's principal place of employment or business in the county or a city within the county. and the underlined section is pretty worthless, it is only a 90-day CCW license, and I've heard that virtually no CLEOs have ever issued one.

LoneRider
08-02-2010, 1:45 PM
How does CCW work for military personnel? I rent an apartment in the Fort Irwin region and I presently have a CCW for my home state (Florida) and may very well be stationed elsewhere outside of the state when I'm up for orders in two years.

Librarian
08-02-2010, 9:23 PM
How does CCW work for military personnel? I rent an apartment in the Fort Irwin region and I presently have a CCW for my home state (Florida) and may very well be stationed elsewhere outside of the state when I'm up for orders in two years.

In California, it doesn't work unless you get CCW from a California issuing authority.

Cokebottle
08-02-2010, 9:39 PM
Ya, the apartment in Ft Irwin should be good to establish residency, but when you ship out, your license will become invalid 90 days after the move and you will have to reapply in your new county.
If you are shipped out of state, then the Ca CCW is completely invalid.

California does not issue non-resident permits, nor does it accept permits from any other states.